The Mark of Athena by Rick Riordan

The Mark of Athena

by Rick Riordan

Series: The Heroes of Olympus (3), Camp Half-Blood (8)

4,1901161,789 (4.25)54
"The Greek and Roman demigods will have to cooperate in order to defeat the giants released by the Earth Mother, Gaea. Then they will have to sail together to the ancient land--Greece itself--to find the Doors of Death"--

I'm honestly pretty conflicted about this book. The individual scenes and set pieces were fine, some of them even pretty good, but as a whole, this was just so meh. It didn't make me feel anything.

The characters I liked in previous books managed to bore me, and those I didn't care for didn't gain any favors. I think the problem might have been that there were simply too many protagonists and that half of them are far too similar in personality to the other half: Percy and Jason, Frank and Leo, and even Hazel and Piper—they all merged together into one giant mess. The only character I genuinely liked was Hedge, because he's a perpetual riot.

I didn't even really enjoy myself until Annabeth started actually doing what she'd set out to do the entire book, and went alone to seek out the statue, and that didn't happen until like 60% through. I think it was just too nonlinear of a plot. I had very little to hold onto and they moved location too quickly for me to get any real handle on where they were and what they were doing. I hope the next books in the series are better, because so far this is going from a surprising good series to a surprisingly bad one. ( )
  Faith_Murri | Jul 28, 2019 |
Part 3 of the series is pretty much what I expected to keep our heroes on the trail and getting closer to completing their quest. The ending was a bit weak, but it served its purpose. It got most of our heroes back on course to continue on their quest. Also, to go rescue Percy and Annabeth who, when last we saw, were tumbling to Tartarus on what seemed like a one way ticket. Onto book 4 to see how things work out, so we can get to the conclusion in book 5. ( )
  krgulick | Jun 19, 2019 |
Dadme la Casa de Hades. YA. ( )
  dieciseislunas | Jun 2, 2019 |
At the start of the book, Percy and Annabeth finally reunited at Camp Jupiter, and Percy somehow got all his memory back. While Annabeth and the Camp leader (Reyna) discussed the future of the two camps, the Greek trireme that Annabeth used to come to Camp Jupiter started firing from its ballistae on the Romans. Annabeth was in shock and told Reyna that she would never do such a thing. Reyna believed her, but Annabeth, Percy and his other comrades had to escape on the ship to minimize the deaths. The person who fired the ballistae was Leo, even though he claimed that he was being possessed. They made their way to ancient Rome, where Hazel’s brother, Nico, was being held captive by two giants. They had to get past many obstacles and monsters, but they finally made it to Rome, where Annabeth was to retrieve the Athena Parthenos. Annabeth began her dangerous quest underground where she broke her ankle. Meanwhile Leo, Hazel, and Frank searched for Nico using Hazel’s underground powers. Eventually they came to a room where Leo found Archimedes spheres and programmed them to battle the possessive eidolons that ambushed them. At least now they knew that Leo was actually possessed by eidolons. While that was happening, Percy, Leo, and Piper found Nico, but there were two other giants guarding him. With an unexpected appearance, Dionysus came to destroy the giants once and for all. Leo, Hazel, and Frank came and they set off to help Annabeth. When they found her, she was battling Arachne, the queen of spiders. They helped her defeat the spider and they saved the Athena Parthenos. They lost Percy and Annabeth to Tartarus though. It ends in a cliffhanger where they get ready to defeat Gaea and meet Percy and Annabeth on the other side of the Doors of Death.

This book was even better than the last one, with no surprise. I loved it because, once again, it was action packed, there was a lot of humor, and bravery. But, the genre throughout the book. For example, when Annabeth was walking through the underground chambers, it was a mystery. But when Percy, Jason, and Piper fought the twin giants, it was action. I really liked how the author put a cliffhanger at the end to draw readers to reading the fourth book, which can’t wait to read! I rate this book 5 out of 5. ( )
  PhillipO.B4 | Mar 11, 2019 |
Third book in his Heroes of Olympus series. Pretty good one. ( )
  writerlibrarian | Dec 27, 2018 |
In the mark of Athena percy and his friends have to find the statue of athena. They try to make friends with camp jupiter and ghosts control Leo into starting war for camp jupiter. These same ghosts in the story control Percy and Jason into a big fight with each other. Percy and jason feel useless in one point of the book, cause golden boy is way to good for them in a sword fight. They meet hercales to get into the ancient lands and they have to tear a bulls horn off. Then as thy are leaving annabeth shoots food out of the horn and traps heracules in food.
added by Isaiahl.b4 | editisaiahl.b4

Riordan, Rickprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Swanson, JoshuaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Speedy
Strays and wanderers are often sent by the gods.
Until she met the exploding statue, Annabeth thought she was prepared for anything.

Annabeth is terrified.
Just when she's about to be reunited with Percy =- after six months of being apart, thanks to Hera - it looks lIke Camp Jupiter is preparing for war.

As Annabeth and her friends Jason, Piper and Leo fly in on the Argo II, she can't blame the Roman demigods for thinking the ship is a Greek weapon. with its steaming bronze dragon figurehead, Leo's fantastical creation doesn't appear friendly. Annabeth hopes that the sight of their praetor Jason on deck will reassure the Romans that the visitors form Camp Half-Blood are coming in peace.

And that's only one of her worries. IN her pocket, Annabeth carries a gift form her mother that came from an unnerving command: Follow the Mark of Athena. Avenge me. Annabeth already feels weighted down by the prophecy that will send seven demigods on a quest to find - and close - the Doors of Death. What more does Athena want from her?

Annabeth's biggest fear, though, is that Percy may have changed. What if he's now attached to Roman ways? Does he still need his old friends? As the daughter of the goddess of war and wisdom, Annabeth knows she was born to be a leader - but never again does she want to be without Seaweed Brain by her side.

Narrated by four different Demigods, the Mark of Athena is an unforgettable journey across land and sea to Rome, where important discoveries, surprising sacrifices, and unspeakable horrors await. Climb aboard the Argo II, if you dare...

From jacket cover. Putting it back on, discovered there's a cut out of the Argos II under the back flap with instructions on how to build your very own Argos II.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,859,067 books! | Top bar: Always visible