The Mark of Athena

by Rick Riordan

Series: The Heroes of Olympus (3), Camp Half-Blood (8), Riordan's Demi-Gods (2.3)

"The Greek and Roman demigods will have to cooperate in order to defeat the giants released by the Earth Mother, Gaea. Then they will have to sail together to the ancient land--Greece itself--to find the Doors of Death"--

Bunch of drama, but you have to love Leo. :D ( )
  OutOfTheBestBooks | Sep 24, 2021 |
I love Rick Riordan's writing style and The Heroes of Olympus series is my second favorite of all his series. I love mythology and he does a great job of bring any and all mytholgy to life in a fresh and new way. I find the characters to be engaging and to feel really real. I love how he weaves the mythology into modern times so you feel like you are learning something as you are being entertained. ( )
  KateKat11 | Sep 24, 2021 |
The two worlds of the Greek and Roman demigods finally collide - and in some unexpected ways! When the Seven of the Great Prophecy finally come together, it's time to begin the journey to stop Gaea, something that isn't as easy as it sounds (an understatement, even for the world of Percy Jackson).

The journey takes the Seven back to the old world - a place most demigods won't dare to tread. But before they can get to Greece, they need to stop off in Rome so that Annabeth can follow the Mark of Athena (hence the title) to complete a quest than no child of Athena before her has been able to complete. And, of course, Gaea's minions have no intention of making any of this easy for anyone.

It was interesting to see the demigods in Rome, to see some more of the minor gods and the way they manifest, and see how Riordan continues to weave all of the mythology together in a modern setting.

I did feel like there were parts that could have moved a bit more quickly, but that may just be me wanting to see how the quest progresses and how it all winds up. The House of Hades is next (as soon as I come up on the library's waiting list, that is)! ( )
  crtsjffrsn | Aug 27, 2021 |
The Mark of Athena!!! I have been looking forward to this book since last year when The Son of Neptune came out! I am happy to report that MoA doesn't end in as big of a cliffhanger as SoN but it was still pretty bad (cliffhanger wise, the book itself was amazing). I can't wait till The House of Hades comes out next fall!!

For starters if like to say that I was SO happy when this came in the mail yesterday! And then I couldn't read it till I got home that day so I had to wait web longer knowing that it was waiting for me. So when I got home, I was on a mission! I told everyone that I wasn't getting off that couch for anything until I was done with the book! That didn't last too long... At around page 79 I had to pee and then around page 200 they bribed me to eat with some mozzarella sticks and apple cider (not together though haha I had milk with the mozzarella sticks and pumpkin muffins with hit apple cider YUM) ANYWAYS at about just over halfway through (when Jason and Piper were at the river) I went to sleep and I woke up super early this morning to finish it up!

My thoughts? It was AMAZING! I don't know how he does it but after each book I think it's amazing and then he writes a new one that's EVEN BETTER! I really don't think the cover fits the book though... The owl yes since Annabeth has to follow the mark of athena to avenge her mother but Percy and Jason fighting on Tempest and Blackjack? Not so much... That was a 6 page scene! And they were possessed! I think the cover should've been the 7 of them (plus Coach Hedge) on the deck of the Argo II.

Leo has hilarious, Percy was sweet, and Nico... Was trapped in a Bronze Jar by twin giants and needed to be saved before he died in 5 days (he's only lasted so far since his disappearance because of his self induced coma). The gang encounter tons of interesting people like Narcissus, Echo, Phorvys and Keto, Chiron's relatives (sadly, NOT the party ponies though who they DO meet make some pretty delicious brownies), Hercules, Chrysaor (son of Medusa and Poseidon), and of course some half dolphin mutants (I guess Mr.D wasn't kidding when he threatened to turn Percy into a Dolphin)

Our Heroes will face many challenges on their path to Rome, such as tricking fangirl nymphs into being 'Team Leo', Frank turning into a giant goldfish, learning the 'secrets' to Chinese finger traps, and Coach Hedge singing TV theme songs for the demigods to endure!(I mean of course there's also bigger important challenges like Anabeth going on a deadly solo quest and Percy and Jason teaming up to kick some Giant butt! (Giant as in a lot and faint as in they are quite literally fighting giants) hahah ahhhh puns suck >.. But those aren't too important, eh? Will Frank and Leo ever feel comfortable around each other? Will Jason and Percy settle into a new bromance? Will the world ever know how many licks it takes to get to the center of a tootsie pop? The books answers two of these questions haha.

I loved Percy and Jason's competitions to see who could do things better and faster. Then after they almost fought each other, who would have one if it was allowed to continue? Really?? Is that SERIOUSLY the question I'm asking? Percy would OBVIOUSLY win, hands down, duh. Nico himself says to everyone (even Jason) that Percy is the strongest demigod he's ever known!

Leo was über awesome in this book. He thinks Annabeth is scary lol and sortaish falls in love with Hazel until they have a flash back together and find out the truth! Which was fascinating but I'm SOO not telling ;P

So what's the Mark of Athena? What awaits Annabeth on her solo quest? How will Percy and Jason ever hope to defeat the twin giants without a god?
All if this and more is In the 5-star book! (Which deserves a bajillion stars)
  Nikki_Sojkowski | Aug 26, 2021 |
daaaaaamnnnnn what a crazy book

percy and annabeth ( )
  beethovensfruit | Aug 21, 2021 |
In the mark of Athena percy and his friends have to find the statue of athena. They try to make friends with camp jupiter and ghosts control Leo into starting war for camp jupiter. These same ghosts in the story control Percy and Jason into a big fight with each other. Percy and jason feel useless in one point of the book, cause golden boy is way to good for them in a sword fight. They meet hercales to get into the ancient lands and they have to tear a bulls horn off. Then as thy are leaving annabeth shoots food out of the horn and traps heracules in food.
added by Isaiahl.b4 | editisaiahl.b4

Riordan, RickAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Swanson, JoshuaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Speedy
Strays and wanderers are often sent by the gods.
Until she met the exploding statue, Annabeth thought she was prepared for anything.

Annabeth is terrified.
Just when she's about to be reunited with Percy =- after six months of being apart, thanks to Hera - it looks lIke Camp Jupiter is preparing for war.

As Annabeth and her friends Jason, Piper and Leo fly in on the Argo II, she can't blame the Roman demigods for thinking the ship is a Greek weapon. with its steaming bronze dragon figurehead, Leo's fantastical creation doesn't appear friendly. Annabeth hopes that the sight of their praetor Jason on deck will reassure the Romans that the visitors form Camp Half-Blood are coming in peace.

And that's only one of her worries. IN her pocket, Annabeth carries a gift form her mother that came from an unnerving command: Follow the Mark of Athena. Avenge me. Annabeth already feels weighted down by the prophecy that will send seven demigods on a quest to find - and close - the Doors of Death. What more does Athena want from her?

Annabeth's biggest fear, though, is that Percy may have changed. What if he's now attached to Roman ways? Does he still need his old friends? As the daughter of the goddess of war and wisdom, Annabeth knows she was born to be a leader - but never again does she want to be without Seaweed Brain by her side.

Narrated by four different Demigods, the Mark of Athena is an unforgettable journey across land and sea to Rome, where important discoveries, surprising sacrifices, and unspeakable horrors await. Climb aboard the Argo II, if you dare...

From jacket cover. Putting it back on, discovered there's a cut out of the Argos II under the back flap with instructions on how to build your very own Argos II.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,202,133 books! | Top bar: Always visible