Dangerous (2014)

by Shannon Hale

When aspiring astronaut Maisie Danger Brown, who was born without a right hand, and the other space camp students get the opportunity to do something amazing in space, Maisie must prove how dangerous she can be and how far she is willing to go to protect everything she has ever loved.

Maisie wants to live up to her middle name – Danger, so she applies to an astronaut camp featured on the back of a cereal box. To everyone’s surprise – she actually wins the trip. While there she meets Wilder, and other first team members who are needed to save the world.

Dangerous is not like the other Shannon Hale books at all. This is modern day with science fiction, rather than high fantasy. There is a romance plot that interferes with the story for me. As smart as Maisie is supposed to be, she seems easily manipulated by Wilder. But then she’s been home school and isolated. (I know a lot of home school kids and they’d all see right through Wilder.)

Dangerous is a one and done that I think some of my students will enjoy. It’s not the best I’ve read by Shannon Hale, I like the Goose Girl series better, but I’m curious to see if she stays writing contemporary or goes back to fiction.
  readingbeader | Oct 29, 2020 |
Great diverse cast of characters, plenty of action, almost a cinematic feel to the story - didn't care for the love interest, but appreciated the scene with discussions of both consent and protection - really wish the cover featured the main character ( )
  bookbrig | Aug 5, 2020 |
When Maisie Danger Brown nabbed a spot at a NASA-like summer boot camp, she never expected to uncover a conspiracy that would change her life forever.

And she definitely didn't plan to fall in love.

But now there's no going back--Maisie's the only thing standing between the Earth and annihilation. She must become the hero the world needs. The only problem is: how does a regular girl from Salt Lake City do that, exactly? It's not as though there's a handbook for this sort of thing. It's up to Maisie to come up with a plan--and find the courage to carry it out-before she loses her heart . . . and her life.
  Gmomaj | Jul 22, 2020 |
addictive. bloody, but good. ( )
  thelevelshelf | Jun 9, 2019 |
3 1/2 stars to the people who didn't finish this book because they were annoyed/upset/bewildered by the beginning- it actually gets better. There is a pretty good twist toward the end I didn't see coming. Not at all like anything she's written before do I think I would have liked it better not having expectations of what a Shannon Hale novel is like. Reminded a bit of the Alex Rider books ( )
  wrightja2000 | Sep 6, 2018 |
For Wren, who is a superhero
The warehouse was coffin dark.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,276,063 books! | Top bar: Always visible