Mirage by Clive Cussler

Lots of things that go, things that blow up, and a regular dose of weirdly over-detailed equipment, menu and personal clothing descriptions . ( )
  nkmunn | Nov 17, 2018 |
In October 1943, a U.S. destroyer sailed out of Philadelphia and supposedly vanished, the result of a Navy experiment with electromagnetic radiation. The story was considered a hoax-but now Juan Cabrillo and his Oregon colleagues aren't so sure.There is talk of a new weapon soon to be sold, something very dangerous to America's interests, and the rumors link it to the great inventor Nikola Tesla, who was working with the Navy when he died in 1943. Was he responsible for the experiment? Are his notes in the hands of enemies?As Cabrillo races to find the truth, he discovers there is even more at stake than he could have imagined-but by the time he realizes it, he may already be too late...

I really liked this book much better than the last few of this series. Some of his action scenes in some of his other books are so technical that it's hard for me to visualize the scenes but this one I had no problem with his descriptions. I found the plot to be very interesting and I liked learning about the Philadelphia Experiment and Nikola Tesla's inventions. His books are real page-turners and this one did not disappoint. I'm looking forward to reading the next in the series and I would highly recommend this book to those who like history and action books. ( )
  EadieB | Mar 12, 2018 |
The Oregon Files is an extraordinary series that will appeal to fans of adventure, intrigue, mystery, with a dash of the scientific and a good dose of history. Anyone that has read about any of Tesla's experimenter will soon be caught up in the mystery of how a 1940's ship ended up in the now dry sea bed of Aral Sea in Uzbekistan. The characters are likable and the reader will soon come to regard them as family....okay...a family with a punch. ( )
  Carol420 | Mar 11, 2018 |
What did the genius Nikola Tessa create in the early 20th century which a power hungry Russian general desires in the 21st century? Juan Cabrillo and his crew attempt a mission to break a prisoner out of Siberia's most infamous prison. In doing so, a clue is given which takes Juan from the desert of the Aral Sea to the eastern US seaboard to China. The story is a bit far fetched, but an entertaining read nonetheless. I enjoyed the intertwining of the genius of Tesla with a wild action adventure. ( )
  Raspberrymocha | Nov 3, 2016 |
Juan Cabrillo and his Corporation is hired to break into a Russian prison in Siberia to save a man that he considers his friend. It doesn't hurt that this Russian has friends who are willing to pay Cabrillo and the Corporation to rescue him. In doing so the friend passes along information that will lead Cabrillo and his crew on an adventure of epic proportions.

The main plot centers around the work of Nikola Tesla, the man who truly developed electricity. He was not just a genius but he had inventions that are still moving the world today towards accomplishments such as, time travel, teleportation, stealth technology, binding light, etc. What Juan and crew are going to discover is that Tesla's inventiveness has lead to the development of a "cloaking device" that can be used to make a ship invisible to those around it. (See the Philadelphia Experiment). Of course there are other uses for this electromagnetic field... it can also be used to destroy things and in the wrong hands it can be used as a powerful and destructive weapon.

I really like this series but I had problems with the number of adventures Juan and the Oregon crew encountered. I believe there were two that could have been books all by themselves. The prison break set the story and the electromagnet devise plot was good in itself. As usual the authors went into a lot of mechanical descriptions that I have learned to just skip over. So...4 stars. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |

Cussler, Cliveprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Du Brul, Jackmain authorall editionsconfirmed

In October 1943, a U.S. destroyer sailed out of Philadelphia and supposedly vanished, the result of a Navy experiment with electromagnetic radiation. The story was considered a hoax - but now Juan Cabrillo and his Oregon colleagues aren't so sure.

There are rumors of a new weapon soon to be auctioned, something very dangerous to America's interests, and the rumors link it to the great inventor Nikola Tesla, who was working with the Navy when he died in 1943. Was he responsible for the experiment? Are his notes in the hands of enemies? As Cabrillo races to find the truth, he discovers there is even more at stake than he could have imagined - but by the time he realizes it, he may already be too late ...

An investigation into a 1943 mission during which a U.S. destroyer vanished after it was deliberately sent into an obscured field of electromagnetic radiation finds Juan Cabrillo and the crew of the Oregon uncovering disturbing evidence of a dangerous super-weapon.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,337,341 books! | Top bar: Always visible