More Than One by Miriam Schlein

More Than One

by Miriam Schlein

"More Than One" by Miriam Schlein explains how the number 1 can be more than just 1. Though this seems like an abstract topic the illustrations helps aid in the explanation of how 1 pair of shoes is 2 shoes and 1 week is actually 7 days. The book delves into the idea that sets of units come together to create 1 large unit of a different name. I found this to be a wonderful book when beginning place value in a math class. The book did a wonderful job of showing how place value is all around us. I felt the illustrations were very descriptive and gave a wonderful visual for this sometimes difficult topic. ( )
  lsiben | Apr 24, 2019 |
I loved this book and I needed it for my math lesson two weeks ago! I will be doing a reteach using this book. My students had such a hard time grasping the concept of "one of one" and "many of one". I truly believe this book will be helpful to them and their understanding. Thanks for recommending this book Dr. Austin! ( )
  atassin | Sep 9, 2018 |
This is a interesting read. Author Miriam did a great job proving that one can actually be more than one in this book. For instance, one basketball team can be seen as one but it also can be seen as five if you count them individually on the court. Using grouping illustrations as a teaching guide allows readers to easily compare the number one to the number it could actually be once it's broken down. I enjoyed the concepts in this book. ( )
  jkl900 | Apr 20, 2018 |
Explains how the number one can refer to a single item, the two shoes in a pair, the seven days in a week, the twelve eggs in a dozen, all the trees in a forest, and much more.
  CECC9 | Mar 9, 2018 |
there can always be more than one thing. it is showing children that there are many different meanings to say just one. like one dozen still means 12.

ages- 3-5
source- pierce county library
  lorrie_warren | Nov 29, 2017 |

Everyone knows that one is one. But can ONE be more than one? Absolutely! ONE PAIR is always two; ONE WEEK is seven days; and ONE DOZEN is always twelve. And that's just the beginning of this brilliant and original counting book.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:58 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,694,767 books! | Top bar: Always visible