Red Moon and Black Mountain (1970)

by Joy Chant

Series: House of Kendreth (1)

Three children are drawn into another world where a fierce conflict for power is waging.

On re-reading, the awe instilled by Chant's beautiful prose, her gift for simile and metaphor, for setting and emotion, for apt insights into people as individuals and as a species and our sometimes harmonious and sometimes contentious interactions with nature and with ourselves remains as powerful as I remember--and only deepened by the knowledge that this work was written by Ms. Chant, a librarian, when she was but twenty-five years of age. The tale is a portal fantasy with child heroes, Narnia-like, and yet their challenges, the choices they make, and their consequences are harshly adult, particularly its dramatic somewhat disturbing--yet right-- conlcusion. Similar to Lewis' Narnia, upon rereading, I find a patina of Christian allegory and archangel analogs within Chant's panthenon of atavistic pseudo-Druidic "High" gods. "Red Moon, Black Mountain" Fifty years since its publication, I consider the book a classic of modern epic fantasy written in the tradition of those like Lewis, Tolkien, Morris, and Eddison written decades to a half-century before. ( )
  Dr_Bob | Apr 20, 2020 |
  Dr_Bob | Apr 20, 2020 |
Read this but I don't remember a single thing about it ~ other than the Frazetta dustjacket ( )
  Baku-X | Jan 10, 2017 |
Read at the recommendation of James Stoddard (The False House), but not for me. I did not find the world adequately realized, I did not find the villain or heroes resonant, and it all felt rushed. ( )
  ben_a | Nov 4, 2013 |

Miller, IanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pepper,BobCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,413,561 books! | Top bar: Always visible