The Children's Homer: The Adventures of…

The Children's Homer: The Adventures of Odysseus and The Tale of Troy (1918)

by Padraic Colum (Adaptor)

A retelling of the events of the Trojan War and the wanderings of Odysseus based on Homer's Iliad and Odyssey.
Recently added byajacksoniv, TaiNaka213, private library, Lanella, nellgirl, greenegables, GloriaAcevedo78, CGrover, mgodown
Legacy LibrariesJames Joyce

Very good! ( )
  katieloucks | Feb 26, 2016 |
I finally realized I was never going to read The Iliad, so I decided to read this adaptation instead. I felt it was very satisfactory and wished I thought of it before. ( )
  aulsmith | Oct 14, 2015 |
This version of The Iliad and The Odyssey is incredibly child friendly. It is approachable and is brought down to a level that still includes necessary information but is appropriate for children. ( )
  stgayde | Dec 13, 2010 |
This is a really enthralling read. Padraic Colum is a natural story teller, with a gift for transporting readers into a magical land. All of the magic and drama of The Odyssey and the Iliad, Achilles, Trojans, Scylla, Charybdis, Circe, and Cyclops. Powerful and heroic, a triumphant book. The writing is sophisticated and complex, some explanation and patience may be needed, and well worth it. ( )
1 vote lauraejensen | Dec 3, 2008 |
This is a fun introduction to Homer. It is written in prose by Newbery honor winner Padraic Colum, and is well done. It is one of the few "easy" versions of classics that I recommend.
  mebrock | Dec 25, 2007 |

Colum, PadraicAdaptorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Moser, BarryIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pogány, WillyIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,906,711 books! | Top bar: Always visible