My Heart Will Not Sit Down by Mara Rockliff

My Heart Will Not Sit Down

by Mara Rockliff

My Heart Will Not Sit Down tells the story of the generous and compassionate "Bulu" tribe in Africa. After the main character, Kedi learns about the Great Depression happening in America, she asks her village, the Bulu tribe, to donate money to America. It was hard for her to receive donations at first, but once the tribe understood what was happening in America they came together to help the best they could. They ended up donating $3.77 to help fight hunger in New York City. Despite needing the little money they donated, they collectively decided to give what they had in order to help those in need across the "Great Salt River." Most of the story was set in Cameroon, Africa but the backstory is set in New York City in the 1930s. This story is such a heartwarming tale of the poor giving their all to help those in need because they understand their situation. Great book! ( )
  AConverse | Feb 6, 2019 |
This is an amazing book with a young girl named Kedi who is from Africa. I loved how determined she was to raise money for people in America. Even though they are poor she is willing to help others who are going through a lot. I was very curious to know if she was going to be able to pull it off, and she did at the end. She didn't stop until she found someone to send money. That took a lot of guts and she is very courageous. ( )
  Erneka | Sep 24, 2018 |
The book is a beautiful story about a young girl named Kedi. Kedi lives in Africa and loves school, she rushes to school each morning to try and sit the closest to her American teacher. Kedi learns of The Great Depression in America and she wants to help. Although, the people of her village are poor Kedi still asks them to donate money to help the people in New York. This book is just an example of love and compassion. ( )
  SarahTrenticosta | Apr 25, 2018 |
Really Really Really good book! I did not understand the title at first but after reading the last page it all made sense. Kedi could not give up on those people because she is such a caring and loving person. This book is set during the time of the Great Depression in America but from the point of view of people in Africa. A little girl named Kedi finds out that many people do not have money in New York to eat and she wants to help. She knows many people in her own village do not have money, but she asks anyway. Soon everyone gives money to help the people in New York City. After reading the author's note, I was touched to read that this was inspired by a true story. To see people come together during times like this is amazing. I thought about the earthquake in Haiti and how so many people came together! Thank you for recommending this book! ( )
  eritzmann | Apr 24, 2018 |
“My Heart Will Not Sit Down” is based on a true story. According to the Author’s Note in 1931 while America was going through the Great Depression $3.77 was donated from a village in Cameroon. The quote ‘My Heart Will Not Sit Down’ means that a person won't rest until they do what their heart is telling them to do. In the book, Kedi learns from her teacher, a man from New York, that Ameria is having a hard time attaining food for the children who live there. After school, Kedi ponders the idea that they are children in America who have nothing to eat. Kedi knows how it feels to have very little to eat, but can't imagine having anything to eat. Kedi goes around her village asking for money to give to the children of New York for food. Everyone proclaimed that they didn’t have the money to give, but the next day her mother gives her a small coin to give to the teacher. Embarrassed by the small amount Kedi doesn’t immediately give the money to her teacher. Then one by one the people of the village come to give with the can even though they don’t have much themselves.
The book teaches young children about charity. The book sends the message that a person who seemingly has nothing to give can still give. I believe it takes more of a compassionate person to give when they will suffer I bit. The book makes me the question has much I give to others and am I teaching the importance of charity. My children are aware of the fact that they have more than some and after stress this fact I believe they appreciate what they have more. ( )
  KimWalker85 | Mar 8, 2018 |

When Kedi hears about America's Great Depression from her teacher, her heart will not sit down. Men and women are unable to find work. Children are going hungry. In her teacher's village of New York City, people are starving because they do not have money to buy food. But can one small girl in Africa's Cameroon like Kedi make a difference all the way across the great salt river in America?

Inspired by true events, Mara Rockliff's gorgeous and accessible text matched with Ann Tanksley's vibrant and warm illustrations bring to life the remarkable story of one child's vision, passion, and dedication to make the world a better place.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:32 -0400)

In 1931 Cameroon, young Kedi is upset to learn that children in her American teacher's village of New York are going hungry because of the Great Depression, and she asks her mother, neighbors, and even the headman for money to help. Includes historical notes.… (more)

Mara Rockliff is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,554,795 books! | Top bar: Always visible