What Jane Austen Ate and Charles Dickens…

What Jane Austen Ate and Charles Dickens Knew (1993)

by Daniel Pool

English (35)  Swedish (1)  All (36)
This is an extremely informative and very well written book discussing live in 19th century England. The book goes out of its way to describe things in today's terms, even while discussing antique concepts. This is a wonderful book if you enjoy reading Jane Austen, Charles Dickens, anything by the Bronte sisters, etc. In addition to the discussions in the first half of the book, in the second half, the glossary, there are provided modern-day definitions to antique terms and words that have either changed in meaning or are no longer commonly used. ( )
  J9Plourde | Jun 13, 2017 |
This book was a great disappointment to me. It was one that I've been wanting to read ever since I first heard of it, but it did not live up to expectations at all. The chatty and interesting title of the book led me to believe that the work itself would charm, which it did not. It was tedious and dry, and certainly more of a reference book than a study of social history. I will keep it on a shelf with my other reference books, but I don't see getting a lot of use out of it. ( )
  ahef1963 | Apr 4, 2017 |
I read this book straight-through, but it'd be better if you just use it for reference if you have a specific question about the period. I felt like I got way too much information the way I read it. ( )
  emilyesears | Aug 29, 2016 |
This book had a lot of really neat information, I just wish the package in which said information was wrapped could have been a little less dry. ( )
  Shadowling | Jun 6, 2016 |
Over 400 pages of definitions, facts, and glosses for the most alien aspects of 1800s England. And there are a lot of them! The nineteenth century saw the birth of much of what we think of as unremarkable necessities of civilization: a police force, basic schooling for all children, a national mail system...This is truly a fascinating read, and one I highly recommend for anyone reading regency or Victorian-era literature. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
For my parents

and

for Lisa S.
What were the assizes?

For every frustrated reader of the great nineteenth-century English novels of Austen, Trollope, Dickens, or the Brontës who has ever wondered whether a duke outranked an earl, when to yell "Tally Ho!" at a fox hunt, or how one landed in "debtor's prison," here is a "delightful reader's companion that lights up the literary dark" (The New York Times).

This fascinating, lively guide clarifies the sometimes bizarre maze of rules, regulations, and customs that governed everyday life in Victorian England. Author Daniel Pool provides countless intriguing details (did you know that the "plums" in Christmas plum pudding were actually raisins?) on the Church of England, sex, Parliament, dinner parties, country house visiting, and a host of other aspects of nineteenth-century English life -- both "upstairs" and "downstairs."

An illuminating glossary gives at a glance the meaning and significance of terms ranging from "ague" to "wainscoting," the specifics of the currency system, and a lively host of other details and curiosities of the day.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:35 -0400)

Filled with lively essays and a glossary of obscure terms, this unique reference--organized by subject--is a practical and entertaining compendium of information and insight on this time of debtor prisons, bedlam, and that wonderful disease of sense and sensibility, "putrid fever". Illustrations.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,239,890 books! | Top bar: Always visible