A Midsummer Night's Dream (Shakespeare…

A Midsummer Night's Dream (Shakespeare Graphics)

by William Shakespeare

313357,052 (4)None

This graphic novel serves as an entertaining, simplified retelling of the classic Shakespearean story. The fairy king, Oberon, asks mischief-maker fairy Puck to play a trick on his wife, fairy queen Titania. Oberon gives Puck a flower whose juice will make man or fairy fall in love with the first being that he or she lays eyes upon. Puck turns an actor into a donkey, then leads him to Titania and makes the fairy queen fall in love with the donkey. Then Puck uses the flower to cause mischief between some human lovers who are wandering in the woods at night. But his magic makes two human men fall in love with the same woman, Helena, causing them to challenge each other to a fight to the death. Meanwhile, poor Hermia loses her true love when the flower’s spell makes him love Helena. But fairy king Oberon learns of Puck’s mistake and gives him another magic flower to set everything right. Oberon also releases Titania of her love for the man-turned-donkey. In the end, everything is sorted out, and no love is left unrequited. All the lovers are married in joyous celebration, and even the fairies celebrate.
  Collene_Kuznicki | Feb 2, 2013 |

This book is about comedies, tragedies, histories, and romances about ancient heroes, bloody wars, and magical creatures. These scenes were taken from novels and movie clippings.

Personal Reaction:

My personal reaction to this story is how ancient movies and plays can be played out on stage.

Classroom Extension:

I can teach the class how to put on a play from the ancient days and how to play the rolls in different scenes. ( )
  larrellharris | Apr 10, 2012 |
Reason for Reading: I enjoy retellings of Shakespeare rather than reading the olde English (which I did plenty of at one time.) I've read a couple of children's retellings of this play, and seen the old b/w version of the movie with Mickey Rooney plus seen it performed live once. I cannot recall if I've read the original play.

As to the original story, I am only somewhat partial to it. I guess you could say it fits in the middle group of the Shakespeare plays I love, I think are OK, and I hate. This one can be quite confusing since it is two stories in one containing a play within a play. The main story is set in Ancient Greece and revolves around two couples in love, though not happily paired off, more of a triangle with an odd man out. These characters' king and queen are being entertained by a troupe of players who are putting on a play which is based on "Pyramus and Thisbe" (the same play Shakespeare based Romeo and Juliet upon). Both the star-crossed lovers and the troupe players enter the woods and get caught up in the faerie realm where tricks are played, go wrong and cause much confusion, as typical in a Shakespeare comedy.
This is a very nice retelling. The format is well done with a two page spread showing the main characters to start off with. Divisions separating the play into the original five acts and an informational note at the end on the "History Behind the Play". The writing, while adapted for young readers, keeps the formality of the original and keeps the prose poetic even though no longer in verse. One must keep one's wits about them to keep the story in order as a lot goes on in this play while keeping the s*xuality of the original at bay. I love the illustrations in this adaptation; they are bold, bright and farcical, while many of the characters have a slight manga look about them which all goes toward making the book visually appealing. This would be an excellent resource to use along side the study of the original play for older ages. The younger end of the age group would do well to read a short summary of the play first perhaps by the Lambs or Nesbit. ( )
  ElizaJane | Dec 30, 2011 |

A graphic novel adaptation of William Shakespeare's play about meddling fairies who create unintended love triangles among a group of teenagers.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 124,065,435 books! | Top bar: Always visible