The Wolf Who Loved Me by Lydia Dare

The Wolf Who Loved Me
3 Stars

The first half of the book is very engaging and enjoyable. Unfortunately, the second half is ruined by the over-reliance on tropes that I simply despise - silly misunderstandings and lack of communication between the hero and heroine.

As the story begins, Madeline is portrayed as loyal friend and an intelligent woman struggling against the dictates of her social station. However, once she and Wes set out on their journey together, she is revealed to be a spoiled and selfish brat whose constant whining and thoughtless jabs at Wes's nature made me want to smack her hard.

Wes, on the other hand, is a sweet and endearing hero. He is earthy, sexy and passionate in his love for Madeline, although I have no idea what he sees in her, and it is clear here that love certainly is deaf, dumb and blind.

Unlike the previous books in the series in which the paranormal elements take center stage, here they are secondary and serve only to move the plot forward by placing Wes and Madeline together in a compromising position. This is unfortunate as the Lycan aspects of the stories have wonderful potential.

The ending improves slightly but the damage has already been done. It should be said that the secondary characters are very intriguing, especially Wes's older brother Archer and Maddie's penniless friend, Lady Sophie. Sparks certainly fly between the two of them and I look forward to reading their book. Hopefully it will come out very soon. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Nov 19, 2016 |
Yes this is part of a series, but it can be just as well be read as a standalone since it is also starting a new trilogy. To make a long story short, first there were the 3 Westfield Brothers, then we had Dash who stood a bit alone, then we got 3 vampire books with the remaining witches and now we have 3 more brothers (related to Dash)and they will find love. I made it sound complicated didn't it? Anyway, it works on its on in the end.

We met the brothers in previous books and they are just rakes and bad ton, not to mention they are broke. But Weston has been in love with Madeleine for years but she is the daughter of a Duke and he is a nobody. A bad boy, and I do love to see them change. While Maddie is a little princess, but at least she knows that she does not want to marry the idiots her father wants her to marry. Yes he makes rash decisions, but he is honorable and she is falling for him. And I do like the ones were they do fall fast, but at the same time they (well one of them) do not like each other. He can't just snap a finger and make her love him.

In this one I also saw who is brother Archer will fall for and that only leaves one brother, and I do wonder who his lady will be. But that is for later books and this is now, and once again I like Dare's easy style, the passion between the couple and sprinkle of paranormal. He might be a werewolf but it does not take over. It's a historical romance with paranormal elements. Elements that fits so easily that I could easily think there are werewolves hidden there.

I am happy with this latest installment and I am looking forward to more. Dare's werewolf are just too sexy! ( )
  blodeuedd | Mar 2, 2016 |
I really enjoyed this book, though Maddie and Wes could have saved themselves so much trouble if they would just learn to communicate, but I guess that would make for a pretty dull story. It was good to see a bit of Dash and Cait again and the other two Hadley brothers make for very good supporting cast. I hope the next book is about Sophia and Archer. They definitely challenge each other and I'm going to enjoy watching the sparks fly with those two. ( )
  bookjunkie57 | Oct 7, 2013 |
I struggled throught the first two thirds of the book. I could not finish it. It became cookie cutter and immature. The hero had no backbone and the heroine was a spoiled grump. This series ends for me. ( )
  2Sunny | Apr 6, 2013 |
The Wolf Who Loved Me
by Lydia Dare
Pseudonym for Tammy Falkner and Jodie Pearson

Rating: 3.5
Genre: Paranormal Romance | Historic

Lady Madeline Hayburn Has Money Problems...
Specifically, she has so much of it that she's dogged by fortune hunters, including her bewilderingly attractive, penniless neighbor, with his wild nature and uncouth manners...

Weston Hadley Has An Identity Crisis...
Specifically, he's just turned into a wolf while Madeline was watching. Now it's up to the regal lady to tame the wild beast...if she can...

My Review: Madeline detests the house parties her father, the Duke of Hythe, and brothers thrown in her honor, since they all desperately hope she will make a suitable matrimonial match one day. But, to Maddie, no one is as charming and entertaining to talk to like the poor Mr. Hadley who lives on the next estate over. Unfortunately, he is not a man her powerful family would approve of, so Maddie can only enjoy their brief conversation and nothing more. Yet, upon watching Mr. Hadley, from her windowsill one night, easily drag a limp body into the local stables -- Maddie's curiosity is peaked, leading her to investigate the shady situation herself. But, after a fateful discovery, Maddie quickly finds herself on a scandalous escapade to Scotland to tie the knot with the man she least expected...in ratty clothing, wild hair, and lacking slippers no less!

Weston has been a love-sick puppy (literally!) for Madeline since he first saw her. Since "growing up," he has become more of a rascal than an eligible marriage candidate, but that does not stop him when Maddie stumbles upon his more sacred secret and he must now force her hand in matrimony. But, this last-minute trip to Gretna Green does not go as exactly hoped and Wes must now face the harsh truth that he may not be capable of supporting a wife, especially a Duke's daughter accustomed to a certain elaborate lifestyle.

I thoroughly enjoy this series since it has everything I love in the genre department--paranormal twist, historic events, and budding romance. Unfortunately, this story feel somewhat flat for me due to containing lots of substance with very little uniqueness to the overall tale. For me, it was rather predictable, uneventful, and somewhat dull. I so wanted to lose myself in Wes and Maddie's adventures, but neither could captivate me enough to make this story very praiseworthy.

Personally, Maddie came off as either too high-maintenance with her surrounding or two submissive about what was happening to her--both annoyingly so! Wes was also lacking that confident strong male presence a book like this needs and was portrayed very young, naive, and somewhat foolhardy. There were certain parts where Wes and Maddie's relationship was sweet and animated, but not enough to make me feel their story was unique in any way! But, give this book a read if you are a fan of the series--you may enjoy it more than I did. I am still curious to see how the other Hadley brother's end up.

Likes: The Hadley twins were adorable together and quite delightful when they came to each other's aid in such a playful way that only an annoying sibling can!

Dislikes: This story felt like every other running off to Gretna-Green tale I have ever read. Nothing stood out as new or exciting to me and was actually kind of blah overall. I even found the side characters, Archer Hadley and Sophie Cole, struggle to be more entertaining than the main protagonists -- NOT GOOD!!

Chapter One/Paragraph One: "Lady Madeline Hayburn was more than ready for the Season to be over. Ball after ball. Soirees and garden parties aftermore soirees and even more garden parties. There was no point to it all. Oh, she knew her father was hopeful Maddie would somehow stumble upon her destined husband at one of these inane events. But if it hadn't happened during her three Seasons on the marriage mart, Maddie wasn't terribly optimistic it would happen tonight."

Favorite { Scene, Character or Setting }: ??? N/A ???
Sadly, I went through this book over and over desperately trying to locate something that made me laugh, stood out as an interesting part, or at least touched me emotionally somehow ...but... nope, couldn't do it! And, it was not that I didn't enjoy the book as a whole, but I just could not find any characters, settings, or even scenes within this story that were memorable favorites -- sorry!