God Bless You, Dr. Kevorkian (1999)

by Kurt Vonnegut

The author jumps back and forth from the afterlife to interview Sir Isaac Newton, Clarence Darrow, William Shakespeare, and his own character, Kilgore Trout, in this humorous look at death.
    God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater by Kurt Vonnegut (markusnenadovus)
    markusnenadovus: Might as well check the ORIGINAL tale that inspired the title of this one.

English (31)  Dutch (1)  All languages (32)
It's an excellent collection of fictional interviews that end as soon as they begin. Vonnegut's trademark humor seeps through every word and it's a very fun, although short, read. Can't recommend enough, especially if you're a Humanist (oops... humanist). ( )
  bdgamer | Sep 10, 2021 |
I saw this recommended on Litsy, checked it out from the library, and listened to it all within the space of 24 hours. It's only 50 minutes long, and a gem, so I think I'll probably listen to it again before I return it. It's a shame that Mr. Vonnegut didn't read this himself, since these essays started life as radio pieces for public radio in NYC and the collection was published well before he died, but the reader did a good job with it nonetheless. Very witty and insightful. ( )
  CaitlinMcC | Jul 11, 2021 |
Vonnegut takes a stab at gonzo journalism.

I haven't read a lot of Vonnegut, I'm working on changing that, but two of his books now seem to put himself in as a character, not just first person, but really from his perspective. I'm curious if this is one of his normal devices, or I just picked two.

Maybe the goal is to make you wonder if it's non-fiction rather than fiction--just that little bit of doubt!

Anyway, gonzo journalism-style, he has Dr. Kevorkian help him have near-death experiences, with the intent of interviewing dead people. Some are famous dead people, some are just dead with interesting stories.

This winds up being more cute than morbid, and it was fun. ( )
  Pepperwings | Aug 7, 2020 |
"The late Harold Epstein said that the first thing he did after he got to Heaven, after picking a flower he'd never seen before, was to thank God for the priceless gift of garden insanity." ( )
  SethBowman | Jul 31, 2020 |

Carla Fate Tucker
  proteaprince | Dec 18, 2019 |

Kurt Vonnegutprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gaiman, NeilForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
My first near-death experience was an accident, a botched anesthesia during a triple bypass.

Seven Stories Press

2 editions of this book were published by Seven Stories Press.

Editions: 1609800737, 1609802098

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,930,271 books! | Top bar: Always visible