Olympos (2005)

by Dan Simmons

Series: Ilium-Olympos (2)

Beneath the gaze of the gods, the mighty armies of Greece and Troy met in fierce and glorious combat, scrupulously following the text set forth in Homer's timeless narrative. But that was before twenty-first-century scholar Thomas Hockenberry stirred the bloody brew, causing an enraged Achilles to join forces with his archenemy Hector and turn his murderous wrath on Zeus and the entire pantheon of divine manipulators; before the swift and terrible mechanical creatures that catered for centuries to the pitiful idle remnants of Earth's human race began massing in the millions, to exterminate rather than serve. And now all bets are off.… (more)

English (37)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (39)
Rather weaker than its predecessor Ilium. ( )
  Audacity88 | May 7, 2022 |
Really struggled with this one, despite loving the first one in the series. Far too looooooooooooong. And a bit dull, with mostly unsympathetic characters. Nearly saved by a pretty good ending (...albeit one with numerous dangling threads - I assume there's going to be another sequel or make that 1 star).
  hierogrammate | Jan 31, 2022 |
Ilium was a thrilling return to form for Simmons, better in many respects than even Hyperion. However, Olympos is every bit the sloppy landing people complain about (in my opinion, somewhat unfairly) in Endymion. The engaging characters lost dimension, the dialogue was of noticably lower quality, and the digressions in the plot seemed to be rushing to preordained set pieces with fairly flimsy justification.

Simmons is one of the greats, but Olympos is not his best. ( )
  jestrohm | Oct 24, 2021 |
Oh boy. As much as I like the idea behind the Illium/Olympos series, this one required some suffering to make it through. I loved Hyperion, and the wealth of characters, and how well their stories intertwined in time, but for this one, most characters I could not connect with. Perhaps it has to do with basing the story around a first person point a view, which made it more difficult for me to think the story was more than the main character. The Illium storyline and the Gods were easily the most interesting, but when it came down to an explanation I wasn't satisfied with it. ( )
  adamfortuna | May 28, 2021 |
I really loved Ilium when I read it in June so was looking forward to this, the sequel. And it kicks off right where we left the story in the first book. Unfortunately it just didn’t work as well. All through this book I was interested in what was going on, but never gripped, never fascinated or engaged by it. Merely hmm, that’s interesting.

Full review: http://www.susanhatedliterature.net/2010/08/08/olympos/ ( )
  Fence | Jan 5, 2021 |

Dan Simmonsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Pariseau, KevinNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rostant, LarryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ruddell, GaryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This novel is for Harold Bloom, who---in his refusal to collaborate in this Age of Resentment---has given me great pleasure.
Helen of Troy awakes just before dawn to the sound of air raid sirens.
Hoe had Homerus al die dingen kunnen weten?
Toen dit alles zich afspeelde was hij een kameel in Bactria!
LUCIANUS, De droom
...de werkelijke geschiedenis van de aarde is in laatste instantie een verhaal over medogenloze oorlogvoering.
Noch zijn medemensen, noch zijn goden, noch zijn hartstochten laten een mens met rust.
JOSEPH CONRAD, Notes on Lifes and Letters
Ach, schrijf niet langer over Troje
Waar de Dood zijn stempel achterliet -
En verwar niet koning Laios' woede
Met de vreugde die de vrijheid biedt:
Al spreekt een sfinx met nieuwe monden
Van de dood die Thebe nooit doorgrondde.

Een nieuw Athene zal verrijzen,
En schenkt het verre nageslacht
Zoals het zonlicht aan de hemel,
de bloeitijd van haar praal en pracht;
Of laat, als niets van schoonheid leeft,
Wat de aarde neemt, de hemel geeft.
PERCY BYSSHE SHELLEY, Hellas

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 176,881,541 books! | Top bar: Always visible