Theodore Boone: The Accused

by John Grisham

Series: Theodore Boone (3)

Thirteen-year-old aspiring lawyer Theodore Boone is falsely accused in a robbery and must fight to clear his name.

English (11)  Spanish (1)  All languages (12)
Mm! More suited to teenager. Handed it on the Jordan aged 12 ( )
  DannyKeep | Jan 2, 2021 |
This is the third in the Theodore Boone, Kid Lawyer,series. In this one, except for a brief appearance in Animal Court on behalf of Lucy the Llama, Theo doesn't get to "practice" much law. He himself is accused of stealing electronics from a local store, although naturally we all know it's a frame. I was pretty uncomfortable with many elements of this story; the detectives investigating were real jerks, Theo was much too slow to involve adults when he knew there was a serious problem developing, and there's an awkward, totally unsatisfactory to me, treatment of the issue of honesty and ethics. I would not recommend this one to young readers, and I think Grisham could have done a lot better. I like Theo. But even though he's a 13 year old boy, who naturally isn't going to trust the grown-ups right off the bat, I had a hard time buying some of his behavior here. The first two books were better, and I am probably through with Theo now. ( )
  laytonwoman3rd | Jan 29, 2020 |
Theodore Boone is back! And he's ready for his next big case

Theo Boone might only be thirteen, but he's already uncovered key evidence in a groundbreaking murder trial and discovered the truth behind his best friend's abduction. Now with the latest unfolding of events in Strattenburg, Theo will face his biggest challenge yet.

Filled with the intrigue and page-turning suspense that made John Grisham a #1 international bestseller and the undisputed master of the legal thriller, Theodore Boone's adventures will keep readers enthralled until the very last page.
  JESGalway | Feb 12, 2019 |
While this book is definitely much more interesting than the last one and Theo was less annoying, there were a few things that bothered me, which is why I didn't give the book three stars.

The plot is ok and the mystery is much better than the one in book two. Also, Theo's behaviour is much more appropriate for his age and his investigation is much more believable. It also has the advantage that the crime in this book is smaller compared to The Abduction. I found it quite funny to see how he's all "innocent until proven guilty" at the beginning of the book and then, when he's the one in trouble being accused of a crime that he didn't commit, he's very sure of who is guilty, before he has any proof.

What bothered me was how Theo and his family make the list of suspects. First of all, Theo's parents lack a lot of imagination if they can't imagine a girl throwing a stone at a window or stabbing bike tires. Not all girls are innocent angels. Sure, the culprit turns out to be a boy, but other than a comment from Theo, where he says that there are a few girls in his school who would be capable of that, nobody even entertains the possibility of the guilty person being a girl.

Then there's Theo and his profiling of his boy scouts mates. I can see why he takes his friends and people who have always been nice to everybody off the suspect list, but he makes a huge mistake that is never addressed. He assumes that a boy is innocent, just because his parents are a doctor and a dentist, and thinks that another boy is a suspect, just because he is quiet, has a bad family background, has long hair and listens to heavy metal. ( )
  Hellen0 | Jun 22, 2016 |
These are cute little stories. They aren't anything all that special, but fun nonetheless. ( )
  biggs1399 | Jan 19, 2016 |

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,367,485 books! | Top bar: Always visible