Spurgeon: A New Biography by Arnold A.…

Spurgeon: A New Biography

by Arnold A. Dallimore

Dallimore's "New Biography" is a fast paced easy read. It has a satisfying but non-exciting flavor to it. I am quite glad that I have started with this book. It seemed like the 2 vol. autobiography (which I will certainly move onto next)was too much of a commitment for a first biography and Ian Murray's "Forgotten Spurgeon" was too specific. So Dallimore's work certainly has a place among the many biographies of the Prince of Preachers. I appreciated the even survey of the book. He doesn't drill down too much into any period of his life but you don't feel like he skipped anything. You simply feel curious... curious for more sermons and journal entries and I found myself especially curious as to what made this man tick internally. If I may make a criticism of a biographical survey, I found his chapter on Spurgeon's character to be dissatisfying. There was meager discussion of Spurgeon's struggle with depression, something I'm extremely interested in. I was also slightly disappointed by the author's change in tone when he discussed Spurgeon's tobacco and alcohol preferences... though the selected quotes are quite memorable. I was also pleased that it was, as one expects from The Banner of Truth, a good hearty paperback that won't yellow or dissolve in 5-10 years. By the way, its cheaper over at the Westminster online bookstore. All in all, it was a good book, but not one I'll read again. ( )
  nathan.c.moore | Oct 1, 2012 |
This biography is a great introduction to the life of one of history's greatest pastors. Dallimore is a professional historian and excellent writer who is able to summarize sympathetically and accurately the story of Spurgeon. Good introductory work!
  MSBC | Apr 8, 2010 |

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,805,339 books! | Top bar: Always visible