My Parents Think I'm Sleeping by Jack…

My Parents Think I'm Sleeping (1985)

by Jack Prelutsky

Other authors: Yossi Abolafia (Illustrator)

Series: I Can Read Books (Level 3)

4602034,930 (3.63)None

I liked this book for many reasons. The language used in this book was patterned and engaging. Figurative language was used multiple times throughout the book. An example of this figurative language occurred on page 23, "Who paints away the garden when the sky's a sea of ink?". This enhances the book because it helps the reader create mental pictures. The illustrations in this book are very well done. They fit with the written text and portray what the character is doing. They enhance the story because they bring a visual element that adds more dimension to the short text. For children's books, this is useful for children who have trouble reading because they can use picture cues if they need extra assistance reading any words. The big idea I took away from this story is how children can use their imagination to the fullest extent to have fun, even if they are by themselves at bed time. ( )
  AllisynFreburger | Apr 1, 2018 |
This book is good for elementary aged kids. It shows kids to be creative and adventure out of their comfort zone. The character in the book finds that he is having trouble sleeping. Instead of just laying in bed dwelling over the fact that he can't sleep, he decides to be creative and find things to do while he can't sleep. He reads a book with a flashlight under the covers, finds himself a piece of cake from the kitchen, and listens to the rain fall outside his window. Although the little boy can't sleep unfortunately, he finds many ways to entertain himself and use his time wisely. ( )
  ryleycathryn | Oct 25, 2017 |
As I read this book I noticed how all the poems were connected with the story. The book is about a boy who lets his mind run wild and thinks of monsters, the cloud, cake, colors, streams, and many more. The illustrations bring the text to live and as I read it the images were in my head. I enjoyed the chocolate cake poem the most! I recommend this as a read aloud for third, fourth, and fifth graders. Most can relate to staying awake after being told to go to bed. ( )
  Sthefania | Feb 4, 2017 |
Hm. Light verse, awfully sing-songy. Plain old cartoony drawings. The title verse is, of course, controversial - I do not condone a child getting into mischief at night - nor would I discourage late-night reading. An Easy Reader with big vocabulary words. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
Summary
This is a poetry book that almost takes a reader on a journey of a young boy in his room after bedtime. There are several different poems throughout the book and each one tells of different things the boy is doing in his room while he should be asleep. It tells about the noises the boy hears and the shadows he sees. It turns those shadows and noises into almost scary images for the reader to see. The author writes about how the boy can’t sleep and the chocolate cake he knows is waiting in the kitchen. The poems end when the boy finally falls asleep.

Personal Reaction
I liked how each poem in this book was a continuation of the story being told from the boy’s perspective. I did thing the book has a sort of Halloween feel to it because of the poems that talked about the shadows turning into monsters. This would be a great book for students in third through sixth grade and is also very relatable to children who often don’t go to sleep after their parents have put them to bed.

Classroom Extensions
1. This could be read to students around Halloween for a fun lesson and then students could draw a picture representing their favorite poem in the book.
2. Students could write their own poem about what they might do after their parent’s thing they are sleeping.
  km057441 | Nov 6, 2014 |

Jack Prelutskyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Abolafia, YossiIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060537221, Paperback)

The childhood ritual of being put to bed has been a source of inspiration for children (and frustration for grownups) throughout the ages. Prolific children's poet Jack Prelutsky has taken this undeniable truism and run with it in My Parents Think I'm Sleeping, an eye-opening, poetic romp through the multitude of adventures that can take place after the lights have been turned out. From pleasant nighttime thoughts ("I have been in bed for hours, / but I'm sure I'm wide-awake, / for my head is filled with visions / of a forest by a lake.") to philosophical ponderings ("What happens to the colors / when night replaces day? / What turns the wrens to ravens, / the trees to shades of gray?"), children everywhere will relate to these soothing, sleepy poems. Illustrated by Yossi Abolafia with the foggy blues and grays of the gloaming, kids will love snuggling up with this book--in fact, it just might make tuck-in time a dream! (Ages 4 to 8)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:23 -0400)

A collection of humorous poems about bedtime.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,085,476 books! | Top bar: Always visible