Brave Norman : A True Story

by Andrew Clements

Norman, a blind Labrador retriever, saves a girl from drowning in the ocean.

Brave Norman is a true animals story about a dog who rescues a young girl from drowning. This would be a good book for first graders to read. ( )
  MollyMcConaughey | May 2, 2017 |
This book is about a dog named Norman who is blind. A family adopts him. One day at the beach, Norman hears a girl in the water struggling. He jumps in the water and saves the girl. This story is good to show kids about bravery. ( )
  MeaganBilski | May 2, 2017 |
I loved this book, I believe that the main message is that no matter who or what you are you can make a difference in life if you try. The pictures in this book are so detailed and colorful that they seem to jump off the page and paint such a clear picture in the minds of the reader. I also liked how the author was able to turn a true story of a dog into a biography. The story's plot follows the dog through his life as a rescue dog and then finally losing his sight and saving the life of a young girl. I love how it shows readers and students that a biography an be about more than just a person.
  mlanni1 | Oct 16, 2016 |
I liked this book for a couple of reasons. They both have to deal with the message of the story. First, the language the author used to tell the story was very descriptive and easy to read. This would be beneficial to beginning readers and readers that are struggling. The low level of vocabulary allows for readers to easily comprehend the story and therefore become better readers. I also liked this story because of the plot and characters. Incorporating a disability in the story opened up readers to ideas they may not have been aware of. Having the dog have the disability made it easier for the children to grasp and so younger children wouldn't get sad. The plot was very organized and explained the sequence of events leading up to when Norman saves a little girl. The message of this story was even people/animals who seem to be at a disadvantage from others are able to execute heroic actions. ( )
  tthomp19 | Oct 3, 2016 |
I enjoyed reading this book because of two reasons. The first reason why I like this book was because it was a true story. It is about a dog who becomes blind, but still manages to find a way to be heroic. Even though he can't see, he heard a little girl drowning when he was on the beach and used his sense of hearing to save her. The fact that is was a true story made the message of the book much more inspiring. The message of the book was that even though someone is disabled, does not mean that they are helpless. The second reason why I love this book is because it is suspenseful. There was a moment in the book where I couldn't turn the page fast enough to find out if the dog did actually save the little girl. It is a heartwarming story full of ups and downs. ( )
  mbands4 | Sep 27, 2016 |

Norman, a blind Labrador retriever, saves a girl from drowning in the ocean.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 159,120,802 books! | Top bar: Always visible