The Truce at Bakura by Kathy Tyers

The Truce at Bakura

by Kathy Tyers

Series: Star Wars

Recently added byVanteaux, Birlinn, R2MYD2, private library, RogueElf, paigeedd, Chazlyn, Natrisha, ecclesduo

scifi
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
The Emperor is dead, but the Empire lives on. Luke, Leia, and Han go to a planet that I assume is named Bakura, where they try to convince the Imperial governers to surrender. Luke falls in love and tries to save a boy who is talented in the Force but controlled by evil. But what I really remember is that Luke is infected by parasites that everyone *knows* will kill him, but he fights them off with the Force and then, in a dramamtic moment that I remember to this day, appears to confront his former enemies. One of them shoots at him, he ducks, and then (barely holding himself together after all his adventures and fighting off the infection) he slowly presses upward and stands again, like a "lithe grey shadow." At least ten years later I remember specific lines from this scene. For some reason it made a huge impression upon me. For the Luke scenes alone, I recommend reading this book in addition to the rightfully ubiquitously recommended Zahn trilogy. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
This novel, which takes place pretty much right after the events of Episode VI, finds our heroes rushing to the aid of the planet Bakura, which has been under Imperial control and now finds itself under the threat of the Ssi-ruuk, an alien species who want to harness human souls to power small fighter droids. Luke and Leia are dealing with the death of their father (in very different ways), Han is trying to romance Leia amidst political intrigue and fighting, and Luke is learning to fully master his use of the Force. While the events of this book are interesting, I did not connect fully with the story - probably because I kept having to stop reading for long periods of time due to being busy with work and other things. I hope that as I continue to move through the Star Wars novels they become more interesting and engaging. ( )
  kaylaraeintheway | Dec 25, 2015 |
This book continues exactly after the last of the original Star Wars movies ends. It is well done and a fun read. ( )
  RBeene | Mar 18, 2015 |
Read this one several years ago.

Story takes place right after Return of The Jedi. The Alliance has become aware of a distress signal from a far outpost bordering the Unknown Regions and send assistance as part of the first diplomatic missions for the new to be New Republic.

Our heroes find a previously unknown alien race, the Ssi-ruuk, who drain the life-energy of sentient beings to power their ships, a technique called entechment.

Bakura is an Imperial outpost but because of the Ssi-ruuk threat they agree to join forces with the Rebels and stop an invasion of a species that had not been seen before.

Luke meet Gaeriel Captison, a young Bakura senator, to whom he feels an attraction (one of the first love interests for Luke in the Expanded Universe) and Gariel also feels something back but has to fight her religious beliefs that objects the Jedi.

Leia also starts dealing with the fact that she is the daughter of Darth Vader who appears in spirit form a few times to ask for her forgiveness.

This book opened the possibility of new threats from the Unknown Regions, something that was explored in future books, and also the growth of Luke as a character finding potential romantic interests and become a Jedi Knight/Master. Some readers might not find it one of the best books but it would be a good starting point. ( )
  Daalvarez23 | Mar 16, 2015 |

Tyers, Kathyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Struzan, DrewCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Youll, Jamie S. WarrenCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I can't think of Star Wars without remembering the opening fanfare from its soundtrack. I can't imagine an Imperial Star Destroyer's long, triangular silhouette without hearing ominous triplet rhythms. And who can picture the Mos Eisley cantina without that inimitable jazz band?
It is with grateful admiration that I dedicate this novel to the man who composed the musical scores for the three Star Wars movies:
John Williams
Above a dead world, one habitable moon hung suspended like a cloud-veiled turquoise.

No sooner has Darth Vader's funeral pyre burned to ashes on Endor than the Alliance faces a new challenge at the far-flung Imperial outpost of Bakura. The Ssi-ruuk, a race of cold-blooded reptilian invaders, plan to enslave human minds to pilot their invincible machines of war and destruction. With the hope of turning Bakura's loyalties toward the fledgling New Republic with defensive aid, Luke Skywalker, Han Solo, and Princess Leia race to the besieged planet. Yet, as the eve of the final onslaught rapidly approaches, Rebel and Imperial forces still must come to terms with each other. And there is already evidence of a traitor hidden in their midst....

No sooner has Darth Vader's funeral pyre burned  to ashes on Endor than the Alliance intercepts a  call for help from a far-flung Imperial outpost.  Bakura is on the edge of known space and the first to  meet the Ssi-ruuk, cold-blooded reptilian invaders  who, once allied with the now dead Emperor, are  approaching Imperial space with only one goal; total  domination. Princess Leia sees the mission as an  opportunity to achieve a diplomatic victory for the  Alliance. But it assumes even greater importance  when a vision of Obi-Wan Kenobi appears to Luke  Skywalker with the message that he must go to  Bakura-or risk losing everything the Rebels have fought  so desperately to achieve.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:34 -0400)

The Alliance intercepts a call for help from a far-flung Imperial outpost, and Luke Skywalker has a vision, with the message that he must go there or risk losing everything the Rebels have fought for.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,340,354 books! | Top bar: Always visible