Lady Midnight by Cassandra Clare
Recently added bypuneetkrai99, MaisieD, rena75, private library, Vulco1, JennyRenBunny

English (45)  Dutch (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (47)
Avete presente quando da bambini desideravate tantissimo quel giocattolo e mamma e papà ve lo promettevano per Natale (se facevate i bravi) e voi cominciavate il conto alla rovescia sentendo sotto la pelle quella specie di elettricità che vi mandava su di giri perché ogni giorno che passava era più vicina la mattina di Natale (anche se magari mancavano mesi) quando avreste finalmente potuto mettere le mani sul vostro desiderio?
Ecco, per me l'attesa de Signora della Mezzanotte è stata proprio così: quando ho avuto fra le mani il Kobo con la copertina del libro pronta per essere girata non ho avuto la forza di volontà di dire: "Aspettiamo che esca almeno il secondo", mi ci sono fiondata come se non bevessi da mesi e finalmente incontrassi un'oasi nel deserto.

Non avendo avuto il tempo di rileggere Città del Fuoco Celeste devo ammettere che inizialmente non ricordavo molto di Emma e Julian. Se ci aggiungiamo che non ho finito di leggere Le Cronache dell'Accademia (lo so, sono senza speranze) ho avuto un po' di difficoltà a far quadrare le iniziali informazioni e i riferimenti che venivano dati circa gli eventi accaduti tra la fine di CdFC e questo nuovo libro.

Emma è un personaggio molto diverso da Clary e Tessa, lei è cresciuta come Shadowhunters, fa parte di questo mondo nella sua interezza quindi non si approccia con sguardo diffidente verso tutto ciò che incontra. È divertente e pungente, è coraggiosa e capace ma non ostenta mai queste sue qualità...

Continua a leggere su The Ink Spell : http://theinkspell.blogspot.it/2016/03/recensione-shadowhunters-signora-della.ht... ( )
  jeky91 | Jun 15, 2018 |
** spoiler alert ** April 11, 2018

Since reading this the first time, I’ve been watching the series Shadowhunters. There are good things about it and bad things (i.e. the storylines they make up), but one thing I do like is the casting, which is really diverse, and the tech and background people that make it look like an actual institute. You have to have Red Shirts, after all.

But at the beginning of Lady Midnight, it’s pointed out how Shadowhunters don’t use technology, and Ty’s computer is powered by witchlight. Personally, I really like the Shadowhunters version better because it makes more sense, but whatever. They use cell phones, but not computers?

I’m upping my original rating from two stars to a three. I appreciate Julian’s motivations more than I did the first time, and I understand why Emma is doing what she is with Mark at the end.

June 25, 2016

I wasn't sure what to expect from this--I liked the complexity of Julian's character and also Ty's. The story is interesting with an ending that isn't a cliff-hanger but promises intriguing things to come. I did like the other characters, especially Mark, and they are fairly well drawn out. I'm unsure how I feel about Emma as a character, her character feels a little flat. And why on earth would Mark do what he did at the end?

I don't like the fact that so many lies are taking place in the book, and look to continue instead of people just talking to each other. That's a really overused trope and hurting people deliberately to "help" them instead of just talking to them as a way to further the plot by creating unnecessary drama and pain doesn't show development in the characters. Julian's motivations are driven by an honest desire to keep his family together. The motivations for becoming parabatai with Emma may not have been as clearly thought through. Emma deliberately hurting him through Mark (at least as it appears she is going to) is just mean; she should just share what Jem told her, but that would be reasonable. And take away a huge plot point. It frustrates me that they can't put effort into finding a real solution instead of inflicting pain on each other.

And as some other reviewers have pointed out, what do they DO at the LA Institute? There's a brief mention of patrols, training, and classes, but not much else. What are the demons doing in the meantime, running rampant? The other series had adults present. That the LA Institute has essentially been run by Julian since he was 12 seems so incredibly implausible.

I have rarely have such a difficult time with a review. I've come back to edit this one to say that I really did admire the fact that Clare did include a character with autism (although it wasn't named as such, since it doesn't seem to exist in the Shadowhunter world as such) in a very realistic and sensitive way, and that Julian was very good and knowing how to work with Ty. Arthur having mental differences was also interesting. But that led to the fact that the children were basically on their own, which was frustrating. I have worked with many adults and children with autism, and I thought the portrayal of Ty was realistic and well done. So, despite many of my other negative feelings about the book, that is one thing that I thought was a plus. I'm bumping my review up to a three from a two for that.

I will not be buying the rest of the series, and if I do read any more of it, it will definitely be from the library. ( )
  waclements7 | Jun 6, 2018 |
I knew, knew I should have saved this book for later... Reading it immediately after its release is only going to cause me pain during the long wait for the next installment. In fact, I think I'm already so in love with these characters I could cry right now. 5/5 stars! ( )
  spellbindingstories | May 24, 2018 |
dare I say that this might be my favorite Clare book yet?

I need this book and Clockwork Princess to fight it out for the title. ( )
  libraryinthecountry | May 6, 2018 |

I was a bit nervous about The Shadowhunter story jumping coasts.

I had only briefly met the crew at The Los Angeles Institute and they seemed sort of two dimensional compared to the New York and London collection I have grown to love.

I probably don’t need to tell you, by now, that Cassandra Clare never disappoints.

Entering into the first book of The Dark Artifices was almost like when you see cousins at a family reunion. You kind of know what their lives have been like and you know some stories. They seem like strangers but feel like home.

By about the second chapter, I found myself thinking, “Clary who?” And the rest was history.

The Los Angeles Shadowhunters are so different in so many ways than the Manhattan clan. They’ve lost far more, experienced more heartache at an early age, had more responsibility thrust on their little shoulders. They were also all raised Shadowhunters, different than Clary and Simon. The fierce bond of family is so strong in this segment of the chronicles that you can pretty much reach out and touch it through the pages.

Like most of the series, there’s some Big Bad to be dealt with and in this edition, it falls in the arena of tracking down the true killer of Emma’s parents. At the end of The Mortal Instruments, we all pretty much assume that Sebastian was the one who did away with Emma’s mom and dad. She’s convinced otherwise.

In the spirit of old-school Noir and classic Hollywood, Emma digs in with the rest of her institute to the murders seemingly (to her) connected with murders that continue popping up, even five years after her parents go missing.

And that’s exactly all I can tell you but holy cow it is a wild ride.

I have yet to be let down by Clare and this certainly wasn’t the book to do it. I’m kind of in denial that this is my last book in the series. I know there will be a third, this fall, and Clare is coming out with a new chapter that falls between The Infernal Devices and The Mortal Instruments. Still, I so hate waiting. Excuse me while I go sob into the pages of Lord of Shadows. ( )
  iwriteinbooks | Apr 21, 2018 |
For holly
Elven, he was
Shadow Market nights were Kit’s favorite.

"Shadowhunter Emma Carstairs and her parabatai Julian Blackthorn race to stop a demonic plot that threatens Los Angeles"--

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,617,056 books! | Top bar: Always visible