Blood Song by Anthony Ryan

Blood Song (2011)

by Anthony Ryan

English (44)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  All (46)
First half = 5 stars.
Second half = 1 star.

What happened after he first met the King? The story felt like it fell apart. I felt like I was watching a complex TV show with the episodes all out of order.

Also, Valyrian Steel, Old Valyria, Old Gods, Warging. Is this a couple thousand of years before the events in GRR Martin's ASOIF series universe? There were quite a few more striking similarities that I couldn't decide if this was an intentional homage or just a marketing campaign.

josh513 | Feb 3, 2018 |
Apparently there are fantasy books out there filled with cliches that somehow still tell an interesting story. Not to mention the brilliant ending.

Sure, I've read enough similar books by now, meaning coming-of-age stories with murder/assassination/thieving, but the way the story was set up in the first chapter made it pretty intriguing. I'm really glad I didn't know anything about this before reading though since it was a really nice surprise.

5 stars is still a fairly high rating but this was well written and I enjoyed it a whole lot more than my reason ventures into fantasybookland. ( )
  newcastlee | Dec 30, 2017 |
So, it was okay. I am glad that [[Anthony Ryan]] did not spend too much time on the whole "training school" thing - that it moved along. I'm honestly kinda tired of the teenage protagonist at some training academy for . However, the plot moved on fairly quickly, for which I was grateful. I liked the interludes from the second (future) perspective, and that there was essentially a single narrator.

The language got coarser as the main character got older, the violence was fairly graphic and pervasive. The sex, which there wasn't that much of, generally took place off screen. That said, I'm not necessarily sure it's a teen friendly book. ( )
  dbhart42 | Dec 21, 2017 |
2017 is going to be my year to get back into hard science fiction and epic fantasy. I want the good stuff, and am willing to roll up my sleeves and get my hands dirty. My sf ventures have thus far proven out, and so has my first fantasy foray.
Ryan's Blood Song, book one of the Raven's Song trilogy, is an epic tale of mystery, adventure and intrigue, both political and religious. This book is equal parts world building, sword fighting and philosophical discussion. I love it.
Ryan writes a tale that to quantify it is like throwing Patrick Rothfuss' Name of the wind and Sabaa Tahir's An Ember in the Ashes into a blender and hitting puree. This holds up not only for the story but the way Ryan writes.
The reader, ___, does a great job. I only have one niggle, and it is one I had with Tahir's readers. The word 'geyser' is pronounced 'geezer'. I can't believe that I have listened to scores of audiobooks read by British narrators, not to mentions the hundreds (perhaps even thousands) of hours of British television and movies that I have seen and not come across the word geyser before. Perhaps it is a non-British but still accented thing? I will look into it. This is literally my only issue with the aural presentation.
  Eric.Cone | Sep 28, 2017 |
n „Am luptat în bătălii care au lăsat în urmă sute de leşuri, dar despre ele n-a rămas scris nici măcar un singur cuvânt. Ordinul nostru luptă, însă adesea luptă în umbră, fără glorie sau răsplată. Noi nu avem stindarde."n

Aceasta este povestea lui Vaelin Al Sorna, abandonat la vârsta de zece ani de către tatăl său la poarta mânăstirii unui ordin de preoţi-războinici. Aici, alături de alţi băieţi de vârsta lui, este educat printr-un regim brutal – unde preţul eşecului este adesea moartea – pentru a ajunge preot al Ordinului Credinţei Unificate a Tărâmului. Menirea sa este de a apăra Credinţa cu tăişul sabiei, fiind şi soldat pentru armata Tărâmului. Vaelin se trezeşte implicat într-un război în care va fi arma letală a Ordinului şi unica speranţă a Tărâmului.
  thebblack | Jun 23, 2017 |

Raised by the brothers of the Sixth Order, Vaelin Al Sorna, a Warrior of the Faith, must battle the Empire and even his own father in the first book of a new fantasy trilogy.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 123,937,657 books! | Top bar: Always visible