The Lost Colony by Eoin Colfer

The Lost Colony (2006)

by Eoin Colfer

Series: Artemis Fowl (5)

5,659741,169 (4)70
Recently added byJessicaBench, Magda596, rena75, Cajewel87, WatervilleTownLib, private library, Catherine_GV

English (69)  German (3)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (74)
Datei vorhanden, nicht gehört v. Andreas, nicht gehört v. Gaby
  abugaby | Mar 8, 2019 |
Rating in 2018: Four Stars

Book five of the Artemis Fowl series takes a little bit of a departure from the rest of the series. Whereas the previous four books have involved saving Haven city, or performing a heist on Artemis's behest, this time both Holly and Artemis are working for a greater cause. We are introduced to a whole new group of faeries, who are caught in a time spell that is unraveling.

When I read this series when I was younger, I didn't care for The Lost Colony. I like the heists and the intricate world of the faerie underground, and a lot of this book relies heavy on the demon culture. The demons are led by a violence-loving demon named Leon Abbott who is the only one to have jumped out of the time tunnel and returned. In his foray to the human world, he claims to have learned about the warring intentions of humanity and strives to create a culture of violent, human-hating demons to wipe out all humans. At its best, it's pretty cheesy. That said, it really depends on the reader, because while I was still not overly impressed, my husband loved it.

The writing continues to be playful, and I have to admit, No1 adds a fresh feeling to the series. Colfer is always witty and flows with an easy grace, but now halfway through the series, it does call for something new. It's easy for a series to get stale. Colfer is also careful to balance his comedic characters. Mulch Diggums and No1 are not in any scenes together, keeping the balance between comedy and action. I personally prefer Mulch to No1, but I think a lot of people will be enchanted by No1. He's sweet and innocent and naive and excited.

Another aspect we get here, as Artemis is now fourteen, is Artemis's first crush. He handle the unusual situation the same way he handles everything else - tries to analyze it and becomes confused when he finds himself thinking about her at inopportune moments. It is delightful and I loved it. I think it's important in long running series like this to actually feel like the characters are getting older. The Harry Potter series does this well, and Percy Jackson. And Artemis Fowl.

All in all, I enjoyed The Lost Colony more rereading it than I did when I first read it. I appreciate more of Colfer's stylistic choices here, and I see the comedy a little better. I think most readers will like this one, and appreciate the shift in setting and motive for Artemis.

________________________

Rating in 2006: Two Stars
(no review) ( )
  Morteana | Dec 1, 2018 |
Twelve-year-old Artemis Fowl is a millionaire, a genius—and, above all, a criminal mastermind. But even Artemis doesn't know what he's taken on when he kidnaps a fairy, Captain Holly Short of the LEPrecon Unit. These aren't the fairies of bedtime stories—they're dangerous! Full of unexpected twists and turns, Artemis Fowl is a riveting, magical adventure.
  JESGalway | May 14, 2018 |
Thousands of years ago, fairies and humans fought a great battle for the magical island of Ireland. When it became clear that they could not win, all the fairies moved below ground - except for the 8th family, the demons.
  jhawn | Jul 31, 2017 |
Once again a great escape from reality into the crazy world of The People. This time Artemis has to deal with the demon island of Hybras falling out of time and rematerialising in the middle of the ocean. Not as funny as the previous books but I loved the addition of Number One and the warlocks. ( )
  LiteraryReadaholic | May 17, 2017 |

Eoin Colferprimary authorall editionscalculated
Parker, NathanielNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Happy was not a word often used to describe Artemis Fowl's bodyguard.
This is the regular novel, do not combine with the graphic novel of the same name.
Artemis Fowl, fourteen-year-old criminal mastermind, is doing a good deed for once in his life. He has discovered an impending crisis that threatens the very survival of the fairy world – the time spell that holds a colony of demons on their island of Hybras is unravelling. When Artemis lays plans to capture a demon, however, he encounters another child genius: a twelve-year-old girl by the name of Minerva, with a very rich father and a dangerous, disturbed assassin. Artemis Fowl may finally have met his match . . .

Artemis Fowl scheint sich verrechnet zu haben. Dabei ist eigentlich alles bestens vorbereitet. Er steht mitten im spanischen Barcelona, sein LeibwĂ€chter hĂ€lt ihm aus Sorge vor ScharfschĂŒtzen den RĂŒcken frei, eine Störanlage soll verhindern, dass die Touristen den DĂ€monen aus der Unterwelt mit ihren Videos filmen können. Und dann passiert einfach -- nichts! ZunĂ€chst zumindest. Denn dann taucht der DĂ€mon unter lautem Heulen auf, materialisiert sich und reißt Artemis mit sich in ein Zeitloch und damit in die Unterwelt.

GlĂŒcklicherweise wird der Meisterdieb wieder ausgespuckt, alle Gliedmaßen funktionieren tadellos (auch wenn zwei Finger vertauscht sind). Aber dies ist nur die erste Störung zwischen den Ebenen. Denn die grimmigen DĂ€monen scheinen ihre Insel Hybras in der Unterwelt verlassen zu wollen. Artemis muss sich einen von ihnen schnappen, um herauszufinden, was die Ordnung zwischen den Welten bedroht. Dabei kommt ihm Minerva Palazzo in die Quere: ein hyperintelligentes MĂ€dchen, das ganz eigene Ziele zu verfolgen scheint und doch bald mit Artemis zusammenarbeitet. Beim Kampf gegen die DĂ€monen wird Artemis allerdings selbst aus der Bahn geworfen. Wird es ihm gelingen, wieder auf die ErdoberflĂ€che zurĂŒckzukehren?

Artemis Fowl: Lost Colony, The

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:41 -0400)

Once again, Artemis will have to pair up with his old comrade, captain Holly Short, to track down the missing demon and rescue him before the time spell dissolves and the lost demon colony returns violently to Earth.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141320796, 0141339144

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,697,572 books! | Top bar: Always visible