Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Speaking from Among the Bones: A Flavia de…

Speaking from Among the Bones: A Flavia de Luce Novel (2013)

by Alan Bradley

Series: Flavia de Luce (5)

I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Although I Capture the Castle is a coming-of-age story, not a mystery, both witty novels are narrated by precocious girls who, left to their own devices by their eccentric families, pursue adventures within the confines of quiet English villages.… (more)
    The Bad Beginning by Lemony Snicket (Friederike.Geissler)
    The Case of the Missing Marquess by Nancy Springer (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Another historical with a young female genius...in this case the much younger (and somewhat neglected) sister of Sherlock Holmes. Has a lot of Flavia's spunk and determination to prove her worth although written for a younger audience.

English (173)  German (1)  All languages (174)
Speaking from Among the Bones is Alan Bradley’s latest entry in the superb Flavia deLuce series and is just as entertaining as his previous books. This time, Flavia discovers the corpse of St. Tancred’s church organist, Mr. Collicut, in the most unlikely of places – the tomb of St. Tancred himself. Flavia goes on to experience all sorts of the amusing and clever adventures we have come to expect from the author, all rendered with Bradley’s wonderful combination of wit and gravity. By the end of the story, the murderer is unmasked, a de Luce sister is engaged to be married, and Buckshaw may indeed be lost to the family. The current state of the family finances pales, however, in comparison to the bombshell dropped by Mr. de Luce on the very last page. Speaking from Among the Bones features a Flavia who is starting to grow up. Her relationships with her sisters, her father, Dogger, and the police inspector assigned to Bishop’s Lacey all have evolved from the first entry in the series, where her behavior was often that of a spoiled, willful child. Bradley reveals a little bit more of each family member in each book, which is what keeps me coming back for more. Flavia grows on you as the series grows; in fact, I found myself thinking of her as a young Harriet Vane by the end of this one. As for the bombshell at the end, I won’t spoil it, but I will say….I KNEW IT! Highly recommended for those who enjoy witty, English mysteries, but I do recommend reading the series in order.

Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie
The Weed that Strings the Hangman’s Bag
A Red Herring with Mustard
I am Half-Sick of Shadows
Speaking from Among the Bones ( )
  patriciau | Dec 27, 2018 |
Absolute perfection. I cannot wait for Flavia's next adventure. ( )
  LMJenkins | Nov 28, 2018 |
Digital audiobook performed by Jayne Entwistle

Book five in the series starring eleven-year-old Flavia de Luce, amateur chemist and amateur sleuth. This time the action focuses on the town’s celebration in honor of the 500th anniversary of the patron saint of Bishop's Lacey. Flavia’s as curious as the next person, and she can’t wait to witness the opening of St. Tancred’s tomb. But she’s certainly not prepared to see the rather fresh body of Mr. Colllicutt, the church organist. Of course, she HAS to figure out what happened. Meanwhile the family drama continues with reduced circumstances threatening their beloved Buckshaw.

I love this series, mostly because I love Flavia. She’s an intrepid explorer, pedaling about the area on her trusty bicycle, Gladys, and doing experiments in her laboratory. She is smart, independent, curious and determined. I love her relationship with Dogger and with her father. And I love how Bradley inserts all sorts of information about chemistry and science into the plots. I am, however, getting tired of her sisters and how horribly they treat Flavia. Talk about bullying!

Jayne Entwistle does a marvelous job performing the audio books in this series. Her Flavia is delightful, and she does a good job bringing all the characters to life. ( )
  BookConcierge | Oct 29, 2018 |
This was another delightful Flavia de Luce mystery. I'm looking forward to the next one because we were left with a cliffhanger. ( )
  eliorajoy | Sep 8, 2018 |
Disappointing compared with earlier books in the series. I'd say I'm done with the series after this one, but the ending had me intrigued. I just love Flavia. ( )
  CSKteach | Jul 20, 2018 |

Bradley, Alanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Entwistle, JayneNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Heikinheimo, MaijaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Montgomery, JoeCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Moscowitz, OrliExecutive producersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Perini, BenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thornburn, CathyDirectorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Now from yon black and funeral yew,
That bathes the charnel-house with dew,
Methinks I hear a voice begin;
(Ye ravens, cease your croaking din;
Ye tolling clocks, no time resound
O'er the long lake and midnight ground)
It sends a peal of hollow groans,
Thus speaking from among the bones.

Thomas Parnell,
A Night-Piece on Death (1721)
For Shirley
Blood dripped from the neck of the severed head and fell in a drizzle of red raindrops, clotting into a ruby pool upon the black and white tiles.

It is almost Easter in Bishop's Lacey, and the villagers are holding their collective breath as the tomb of St Tancred in the church that bears his name is about to be opened after five hundred years. And as luck would have it, it's inveterate eleven-year-old sleuth Flavia de Luce who is first at the scene. But the body she finds lying there is clearly not that of a desiccated saint. For a start there's the pool of fresh blood, and then there's the gasmask, from under which an unmistakeable shock of golden hair identifies the corpse as that of Mr Collicutt, St Tancred's celebrated organist. Despite her tender years, Flavia is no stranger to murder - but even she is baffled by the peculiar circumstances of Collicutt's death. Especially when soon after, an effigy of St Tancred appears to be weeping blood onto the church floor. Determined to get to the bottom of the mystery, Flavia soon finds herself exploring a secret maze of underground passages beneath the church - and is drawn into the equally dark and fetid world of one of Bishop's Lacey's most peculiar families.

When the tomb of St. Tancred is opened at a village church in Bishop's Lacey, its shocking contents lead to another case for Flavia de Luce, where greed, pride and murder result in old secrets coming to light, along with a forgotten flower that hasn't been seen for half a thousand years.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Alan Bradley's book Speaking From Among the Bones was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,515,542 books! | Top bar: Always visible