Vergil's Aeneid, Books I-VI by Virgil

Vergil's Aeneid, Books I-VI

by Virgil

English (3)  Dutch (1)  All languages (4)
Pharr's edition of the Aeneid saved me as a Latin student and is still an enjoyable read years later. I particularly appreciate the pop-out list of frequent words glued to the inside back cover of most editions. My only two frustrations (and they are very, very minor) are that the translations for tricky passages are given very liberally (I would prefer to see about half as many full-phrase translations) and that it can be frustrating, to have multiple glossaries (if one doesn't know the frequency of the word, one could end up looking in three separate places). However, these are minor issues: this book is a pleasure to read and works well when teaching a variety of ages (I've taught Pharr's edition in both middle school and high school and also used it as a student at university). ( )
1 vote palaephata | Jun 29, 2015 |
If I could give this book ten stars I would. 'Nuff said. ( )
  eruditescythian | Feb 14, 2014 |
Vergil is the masters of imagery and writes one of the most incredible books of ancient history. The first book of the Aeneid starts from the beginning with the Trojan war. Vergil's image of the Trojan horse is one of his best. The Trojan horse is a true breach of the City walls by the Greeks in secrecy. Another one of Vergil's great images is in book IV. Fama- rumor, she moves very quickly and it is all evil as Vergil describes her. It is one of the most captivating books of ancient history from a very unique prespective.
  reader1534 | Jan 22, 2009 |

Virgilprimary authorall editionscalculated
Butler, J.W.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Conington, JohnEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Davidson, AliceTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mehler, JakobEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Page, T. E.Editorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pharr, ClydeEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vliet, Johannes van derEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Westendorp Boerma, R. E. H.Editorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Williams, R. DeryckEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Latin text of first six books of Virgil's Aeneid with pedagogical introduction and commentary. Notes are in the back, not on the text page as stated in the Amazon description below, which is a publisher's advertisement for some other edition.

This is the book that revolutionized Latin textbooks, with its student-friendly format of vocabulary and notes on the same page as the Latin text, and unique pull-out vocabulary of most-often repeated words. Together, these allow for faster reading, unimpeded by the page-turning required to look up vocabulary or consult notes. Pharr's Aeneid is the all-time most popular textbook of Vergil's Aeneid. Grammatical notes are supported by a full grammatical appendix; vocabulary memorization is aided by vocabulary lists, arranged by frequency of occurrence, for drilling. The perfect edtion for both classroom and home study.

Special Features

General introduction
Full Latin text of Books I-VI of Vergil's Aeneid, with selected vocabulary and notes on the same page
24 black-and-white illustrations plus map of Aeneas' voyage
Pull-out General Word List

Also available:

Vergil's Aeneid: Selections from Books 1, 2, 4, 6, 10, and 12 - ISBN 086516584X
Poet & Artist: Imaging the Aeneid - ISBN 0865165858

For over 30 years Bolchazy-Carducci Publishers has produced the highest quality Latin and ancient Greek books. From Dr. Seuss books in Latin to Plato's Apology, Bolchazy-Carducci's titles help readers learn about ancient Rome and Greece; the Latin and ancient Greek languages are alive and well with titles like Cicero's De Amicitia and Kaegi's Greek Grammar. We also feature a line of contemporary eastern European and WWII books.

Some of the areas we publish in include:

Selections From The Aeneid
Vocabulary Cards For AP Selections: Vergil, Ovid, Catullus, Horace
Greek Mythology
Greek Lexicon
Slovak Culture And History

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:37 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,124,376 books! | Top bar: Always visible