dismiss

Vergil's Aeneid, Books I-VI

by Virgil

This is the first volume of R. Deryck Williams' classic edition of the Aeneid, covering books I-VI. It includes the Latin text, with English introduction, an extensive commentary and notes by this renowned Virgilian scholar. Designed for upper school and university students, the commentary discusses the life and works of Virgil, the legend of Aeneas, structure and themes and Virgil's hexameter. It interprets the poetic methods and intentions of the Aeneid, and explains not only what Virgil says, but how he says it and why he says it in the particular way which he chooses. Williams considers the limitations and similarities of diction from English poets - particularly Spenser and Milton - in order to illuminate the literary impact of the Virgilian passage. Williams' aim was to be "concise rather than omissive" and his notes remain an example of clarity and good sense for any student approaching the first half of the Aeneid in whole or in part.… (more)
Recently added byBrainFireBob, private library, KatherineSundgren, buttonbooks, TanD, dafish09, chd5, Saraheliza
Legacy LibrariesJohn Adams, Tim Spalding

English (3)  Dutch (1)  All languages (4)
Pharr's edition of the Aeneid saved me as a Latin student and is still an enjoyable read years later. I particularly appreciate the pop-out list of frequent words glued to the inside back cover of most editions. My only two frustrations (and they are very, very minor) are that the translations for tricky passages are given very liberally (I would prefer to see about half as many full-phrase translations) and that it can be frustrating, to have multiple glossaries (if one doesn't know the frequency of the word, one could end up looking in three separate places). However, these are minor issues: this book is a pleasure to read and works well when teaching a variety of ages (I've taught Pharr's edition in both middle school and high school and also used it as a student at university). ( )
1 vote palaephata | Jun 29, 2015 |
If I could give this book ten stars I would. 'Nuff said. ( )
  eruditescythian | Feb 14, 2014 |
Vergil is the masters of imagery and writes one of the most incredible books of ancient history. The first book of the Aeneid starts from the beginning with the Trojan war. Vergil's image of the Trojan horse is one of his best. The Trojan horse is a true breach of the City walls by the Greeks in secrecy. Another one of Vergil's great images is in book IV. Fama- rumor, she moves very quickly and it is all evil as Vergil describes her. It is one of the most captivating books of ancient history from a very unique prespective.
  reader1534 | Jan 22, 2009 |

Virgilprimary authorall editionscalculated
Butler, J.W.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Conington, JohnEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Davidson, AliceTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mehler, JakobEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Page, T. E.Editorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pharr, ClydeEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vliet, Johannes van derEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Westendorp Boerma, R. E. H.Editorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Williams, R. DeryckEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Latin text of first six books of Virgil's Aeneid with pedagogical introduction and commentary. Notes are in the back, not on the text page as stated in the Amazon description below, which is a publisher's advertisement for some other edition.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,060,361 books! | Top bar: Always visible