Ripley's Game (1974)

by Patricia Highsmith

Series: Tom Ripley (3)

1,1901511,737 (3.78)28
Scorned at an elegant gala, art connoisseur, millionaire, and psychopath Tom Ripley comes up with an ingenious and subtle way to exact his revenge for the insult. Reissue. (A Fine Line Features film, directed by Liliana Cavani, written by Frank Deasy, releasing April 2003, starring John Malkovich, D
Recently added byashleytylerjohn, TateTito, thepuck, Lisa_Powell, ccfo, omerel, private library, kayohgee
Legacy LibrariesNewton 'Bud' Flounders
    Silk and Insight by Yukio Mishima (amanda4242)
    amanda4242: Okano reminds me of Tom Ripley.

English (11)  Spanish (4)  All languages (15)
Payback for rudeness
an offer he can't refuse
more like Ripley's prank. ( )
  Eggpants | Jun 25, 2020 |
3.5 stars

This is the third book in the Tom Ripley series. At least at the start of the book, there is not much focus on Tom, himself. He manages to get involved in the life of a man, Jonathan, who has a disease and isn’t sure how long he is going to live. Jonathan is convinced to help murder someone… then is asked to do it again.

I think I liked this one better than the 2nd book (or what I remember of it!). To be honest, at least in the first half, I was bored when the focus was more on Tom’s life at home with his wife, Heloise, whom I find very boring. I have no interest in their lives. I found following Jonathan and his story much more interesting, and when Tom got more involved with Jonathan, that ramped up my interest. Part of the book was a little more edge-of-your-seat (or my seat, anyway!), I thought. But, I didn’t think the end was realistic… or, realism aside, it wasn’t in character (not Tom’s or Jonathan’s character, but Simone’s charater, Jonathan’s wife). So, overall, it was a “good” read for me. ( )
  LibraryCin | Nov 18, 2017 |
I really enjoyed Patricia Highsmith's third book in the Ripliad, called "Ripley's Game." I liked it almost as much as the first book and better than the second.

Tom Ripley, the sociopath that Highsmith cleverly makes you root for, is back again, this time helping out his associates with taking down some members of the local mafia. He isn't central to the book, which focuses more on Jonathan Trelanny, a fellow who turns out to be corruptible because he has so little to lose. It's an interesting set up.

I'll definitely be proceeding on with the next book in the series... these are easy reads and great fun too. ( )
1 vote amerynth | Jul 17, 2015 |
This took me an absolute age to plough through, not a good sign. After reading the second Ripley novel I probably wouldn't have picked up a third, but this was in a compendium of four.

Most of the novel followed a very dull chap who though having a terminal illness, still comes across as a neurotic hypochondriac. Over half-way through the novel he and Ripley help one another to do away with some mafia types.

The fun of the first Ripley novel was its freshness, and the striving of Ripley himself, and how he strove to present himself in front of others. All that was sadly missing from this instalment, it was full of padding, and I think the compendium will now find its way to the charity shop with the fourth story unread.
flag ( )
  LARA335 | Aug 28, 2014 |
This was the most different of all the Ripely books. Ripely himself came off as the 'good' guy. Helping to kill some mafiosas (mafia) so that another man can collect the money. His morals are really developed here--killing mafia men for him is almost a public service. As well as helping his new friend Jonathan.

There wasn't as much drama or connection to his wife and almost no interaction with the police which the first two books had. ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |

Patricia Highsmithprimary authorall editionscalculated
Burns, TomIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"There's no such thing as a perfect murder," Tom said to Reeves.

W.W. Norton

An edition of this book was published by W.W. Norton.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,468,069 books! | Top bar: Always visible