Legion by Brandon Sanderson

Legion (2012)

by Brandon Sanderson

Series: Legion (1)

English (39)  Catalan (1)  French (1)  All languages (41)
Woop, amazing stuff! Haven't really read Sanderson apart from Alcatraz (which was annoying af), and this short story was *so* good! ( )
  _rixx_ | Aug 30, 2018 |
Legion
By: Brandon Sanderson
Narrated by: Oliver Wyman
Series: Legion, Book 1
This is a fascinating book about a man with multiple personalities, who is rich, and extremely intelligent. He is asked to help with a special project that is super awesome...to find it and the man who made it. Super intriguing!
The narrator does a wonderful job with this short novel! ( )
  MontzaleeW | Jun 20, 2018 |
Wow, a really fun read! A new, very refreshing take on the multiple personalities thing. I won't say more because this is a gem to discover without spoilers. Read it! ( )
  kinwolf | Sep 24, 2017 |
To me, this book was just okay. Nothing big happened, my mind wasn't blown all. The main thing I was interested was all the 'aspects'. It must be so weird to have these hallucinations that feel so much like regular people around you 24/7. I also liked how at the most random times, a new aspect would be created.

There was nothing really wrong with this book, but again, not much happened that made me love it. (does this even make sense?)

I'll no doubt be continuing on to the next book. ( )
  Vanessah_Baker | Jul 2, 2017 |
This is one of those books that, while I loved immensely when I read it, I just couldn't put into words how much, or why. There was simply too much going on, too much to think about for me to put my thoughts in order. It's only now, when I have the sequel [b:Skin Deep|20886354|Skin Deep (Legion, #2)|Brandon Sanderson|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1404932663s/20886354.jpg|40227944] in my hands and have started to dig into it that I realize I should really try and say something about the original before inevitably writing a review of that.

So, let's talk about this book. First of all, it has perhaps the best opening line of any book I've ever read.My name is Stephen Leeds, and I am perfectly sane. My hallucinations, however, are all quite mad.How can you keep yourself away from a book that starts like that? It gives me goosebumps to even think about it. Maybe it's because I'm trying to become a writer myself, but that's just one of those perfect opening lines that, honestly, Brandon may never top in the entirety of his career.

-Deep Breath- Okay, moving on...

Legion is the story of a man with a mental illness that doesn't actually exist. He's schizophrenic, but in a uniquely helpful way. He can flip through a book and immediately absorb the content. Okay, nothing too new there, but instead of him actually having direct access to said knowledge it is compartmentalized in his brain as an imaginary person, or 'aspect', that advises him, and they all have unique personalities and feelings of their own. He's quite rich and lives in a mansion whose many rooms are devoted to housing these hallucinations, which he can't help but treat like real people. This leads to some interesting limitations. He can't bring too many with him at once, because he needs space in the car to fit them (which is why he typically rides in a limo). They don't always get along with each other, one of them has trouble coping with the fact that he's a hallucination, etc.

So that's the basic premise behind the main character and the series as a whole. The plot behind this first entry is equally as imaginative as the condition of the protagonist.

Leeds is hired to track down a scientist who stole his own invention from the company that funded his research. He created a camera that can take pictures of the past, and while he's a scientist he's also devoutly religious, and wants to use the camera to prove that Jesus Christ really existed by travelling to Jerusalem and, well, taking a picture of him.

For a Mormon whose religious beliefs are well-known, Brandon is a born writer, capable of seeing things from other people's perspective and entertaining beliefs that are not his own, so I never once felt like this was an attempt by him to force his beliefs on anyone. I'll try not to spoil the end too explicitly, but I will say that it dredges up some deep questions about whether absolute proof spoils the point of faith, and if humanity is ready for such proof anyway. It's kinda like that age-old question, "If you had absolute proof that god did or did not exist, would you tell the world or keep the information to yourself?"

My only complaint is that the book feels a little too short. I wanted more Stephen Leeds so bad when it was over, but since the sequel is out and it's much, much longer than this book is, I'd say that complaint has been quelled.

If you haven't read any Sanderson before, I'd say that this or [b:The Emperor's Soul|13578175|The Emperor's Soul|Brandon Sanderson|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1343059311s/13578175.jpg|19161502] is a fantastic place to start. They are both novellas, much shorter than his typically really long epic fantasies, but chock full of the same pure imagination and inventiveness that makes those books great. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that his short work is his best work. The only problem is that Legion is a limited release, with only a thousand copies having been printed (all of them are signed as well), so good luck finding a physical copy for under fifty bucks (which is what I paid). There is, however, a kindle edition available, and everyone in the world other than me seems to have a kindle, so there you go. For those who aren't down with the e-readers, The Emperor's Soul is readily available for purchase at a normal price, and I highly recommend it as well.
  ForeverMasterless | Apr 23, 2017 |

Brandon Sandersonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Foster, JonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Green, SamCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wyman, OliverNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Daniel Wells, who gave me the idea.

Solving mysteries
Using my schizophrenic
Hallucinations
(twhite13)

"Stephen Leeds, AKA 'Legion,' is a man whose unique mental condition allows him to generate a multitude of personae: hallucinatory entities with a wide variety of personal characteristics and a vast array of highly specialized skills. As the story begins, Leeds and his 'aspects' are drawn into the search for the missing Balubal Razon, inventor of a camera whose astonishing properties could alter our understanding of human history and change the very structure of society"--From publisher description.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,915,528 books! | Top bar: Always visible