Written in Red by Anne Bishop

Written in Red

by Anne Bishop

Series: The Others (1)

Blood prophet Meg Corbyn, who can see the future when her skin is cut, escapes enslavement by her Controller and teams up with a shape-shifter who employs her as a Human Liaison.

English (96)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  All languages (98)
I loved this book! I could not put "Written in Red" down. The book held my interest throughout. ( )
  AprilBPL | Feb 17, 2020 |
A lousy book with a premise rooted in white supremacy.

This book is bad on every level a book can be bad:

a) The writing is sloppy-- words are misused, dialogue is clunky.

b) The pacing is molasses-slow. We spend immense amounts of time hearing about people forgot to put on their shoes before rushing outside and now their socks are wet, so they make plans to go back to their house to pick up dry socks and maybe a sealed container of soup for lunch and on and ON.

c) The characters are shallow and characterisation is inconsistent. The villain is a cardboard Sexy Stupid Bad Girl. The MC is the Mariest of Sues. We're told the male lead is a decisive far-thinker but we spend most of the book seeing him throw tantrums about trivial things such as the smell of the MC's hair dye.

d) The world-building is lazy, uncreative, and unconvincing. The Others (vampires, werewolves, Elementals, etc) dominate the globe. Humans were "created" in Europe, and live in circumscribed enclaves elsewhere in a system that recalls the reservations the US imposed on Native Americans. Despite this, humans have developed cell phones, cars, the internet, etc. We're told the Others dominate the land, but we mainly see the non-human characters trying to accommodate to the human system while the humans go about pretty much oblivious.

e) The plot is bog-standard color-by-numbers Bad People try to get MC, Good People protect her, Showdown, Victory, end. Still probably the best part of the book as unlike everything else it isn't broken, just boring.

And the racism? Well, if "humans" only ever existed in Europe before "discovering" North America... then basically every non-white non-Western human has been erased from this universe. In their place we have the monstrous, human-eating terra indigene, the Others. Basically, "white Europeans" are the stand-in for all of humanity, and monsters are the stand in for everybody else.

If that doesn't bother you (!!!) then maybe this will. I mentioned earlier that human society and technological development in the novel is basically identical to what we have today- cell phones, cars, internet, etc. This implies that all of human societal and cultural development IN OUR WORLD NOW is the result of white European ingenuity and effort, and EVERYONE ELSE IN THE WORLD is totally extraneous. This is a standard white supremacist argument, and grotesquely untrue at every level.

I wish I could be shocked that such a sloppy, lazy, and fundamentally bad book came from a major publishing house-- I will definitely be more cautious in buying books from Roc in the future. ( )
  being_b | Jan 8, 2020 |
This is set in an alternate world where the New World was inhabited by were creatures and they successfully controlled who arrived and stayed during the colonization. Now if humans agree to live in Others controlled areas they are a second class citizen and can be forfeit at almost any time. Meg seeks shelter here while she is being hunted by the humans that want to use her powers of prophecy. Since she has lived a sheltered life in a near prison it gives the reader time to learn everything about this universe without being full of info dumps. I really liked the overall plot and I have the next 3 books lined up to read in quick succession. ( )
  Glennis.LeBlanc | Jan 6, 2020 |
Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

It is not often that a book is recommended to me as much as Written in Red (and the entire Others series really) has been recommended to me. Over the last few years I have heard so many great things about it that I decided to give it a go.

Meg has escaped her compound and is looking for a place to hide when she sees the sign at the Lakeside Courtyard - Human Law Does Not Apply. While working as their Human Liaison (which is really stretching it as Meg herself is a cassandra sangue) she gets to know the Others (or terra indigene as they prefer to call themselves) which consists of anything from vampires, shapeshifters to Elementals. Meanwhile, Meg's master really wants her back and will stop at nothing.

It was a very enjoyable book. In the beginning I was slightly disappointed because after all the recommendations I thought it was rather slow. After I while though, I was really caught by it and it was very difficult to put the book down. I'm already looking forward to reading the second book (but it will have to wait until I finish reading some other books). Nevertheless, there were some things I didn't particularly like or thought were strange (maybe it will be better explained in the next novel). The romance angle that I feel coming since the start of the book is making me cringe already, but since nothing really happened in this book, I'm only stating that I'm sure that is where it is going.

Onto book two! ( )
  Floratina | Dec 7, 2019 |
The Others quickly became one of my favorite series in the Urban Fantasy genre. It's set in an unique world where "the others" are the rightful owners of the world. Humans live in dedicated humans areas where Human Law Applies, outside? Human Law Does Not Apply.

The series starts with Meg who enters a courtyard, also known as the areas where The Others and Humans can intermingle. Meg is running away from something, and out of pure desperation accepts the job as the Human Liaison, which means she accepts the mail from the human part of the world to the non-human part of the world.

I fell in love with this world, not only because of Anne Bishop's lovely writing but because of how unique the situasion is. The first level of supernaturals in this series is your typical shifters and vampires, but the deeper you go, the stranger and more unique creatures you find. Most of whom has never had an interaction with a human in their life. In fact, humans are scary, the monster under the bed for the little monsters.

So you have multiple levels to the story.
You have whatever Meg is running from, evil bad guys trying to take her back.
You have supernatural creatures who control the world who has no idea how to interact with humans, and Meg slowly teaching them how to do it.
and then you have the big plot that could be "the end of the world as we know it". ( )
  Purrmaid | Dec 3, 2019 |

Bishop, Anneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Auerbach, AdamCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Harris, AlexandraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Morrow, BlakeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Photos.com/Thinkstoc…Cover image of wolfsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sasscer, AshleeCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Shutterstock.comCover images of woman & forestsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sigal, ElkeDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Blair
Long ago, Namid gave birth to all kinds of life, including the beings known as humans.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,342,203 books! | Top bar: Always visible