Ill Wind

by Rachel Caine

Series: Weather Warden (1)

Joanne Baldwin is a Weather Warden. But now she is on the run from another kind of storm: accusations of corruption and murder. Her only hope is Lewis, the most powerful Warden. Unfortunately, he is also on the run, having stolen three bottles of Djinn and become the most wanted man on Earth.
    Resenting the Hero by Moira J. Moore (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For controlling the weather and other unusual magics.
    Mark of the Demon by Diana Rowland (leahsimone)
    Any Given Doomsday by Lori Handeland (kd9)
    Heat Stroke by Rachel Caine (Joles)
    Joles: If you read one...you have to read them all!
    Shadowland by Meg Cabot (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Suze Simon, the protagonist in Shadowland, the first of the Mediator series basically reminded me of a teenage Joanne, ghost-whisperer stlye.
    Working for the Devil by Lilith Saintcrow (flemmily)
    flemmily: This series is darker and punk-er than the Weather Warden series, but the Demon/Human dynamic really reminds me of the Djinn/Human dynamic. So if you like that aspect of the book, you might try Dante Valentine. However, if you like Weather Wardens because of Joanne's fashion sense, you probably want to steer clear of Dante Valentine.… (more)

This was a re-read, but I haven't read this book in so long that I didn't remember any details. I enjoyed the reveals and the character progression in this book, and I'm really excited continue with the series now. I have always enjoyed stories where weather is controlled by magic, so this series is right up my alley. Plus, even though there are some sexy moments and it veers toward Paranormal Romance, this is very definitely an Urban Fantasy novel, and I love that genre. ( )
  ca.bookwyrm | Aug 5, 2022 |
This review is also featured on Behind the Pages: Ill Wind

Be prepared to be blown away by a new magic system. In the first book of the Weather Wardens series, Rachel Caine takes meteorology to an all-new level.

Little do people know, the natural disasters that tear across the world are only a fraction of the Earth’s power. The Wardens Association keeps a close eye on these disasters and uses their powers to reign them in as best they can. Joanne Baldwin is a weather warden and damn good at her job. But certain members of the organization see her wealth of power as a threat. If there is one thing the Wardens can’t stand, it’s being unable to have total control. When Joanne is accused of murdering a fellow warden, she knows the organization will rip her powers away. In a desperate attempt, she runs cross country to the only person she thinks can help. Lewis, a man able to control fire, earth, and weather, and the only warden who escaped being magically neutered by the organization.

If you’re looking for nonstop action and an original magic system, you need to read Ill Wind. Rachel Caine did an amazing job integrating weather terminology with her magic. As Joanna manipulates the very air molecules around herself, the explosive show of force she can display is stunning. But not only is Joanne powerful, she’s crafty. Readers will experience her execute precision magic on the drop of a dime. And as the story progresses, the challenges she faces ramps up the tension.

I do advise that only adults read this book. Joanne can be a provocative character and falls into some tropes that Urban Fantasy is famous for. Generally, I don’t like books that portray female characters in this way, but the world-building and intense battles are too good to pass up. And while Joanne may be a bit cliché, the male counterpart of the story is not. From the start, David’s introduction to the story is something else. And being the central male character he breaks the mold with how he behaves towards Joanne. His personality and overall disposition hooked me and makes him one of my favorite male counterparts.

Ill Wind is a great Urban Fantasy read. There is so much potential packed into one book, and so much more story to tell. Bring on the next book! ( )
  Letora | Apr 28, 2021 |
This was great to listen to! Kickass female lead with a yummy male second and some serious adventure! I will for sure be picking up book two next time I need a good audio fix!
  ChelleBearss | Feb 17, 2021 |
Give me a kick-ass girl with a super cool power and a talent for troubles; pair up said girl with an hot guy; throw their way some evil forces to mess them up and I'm happy. Also, an happy ending would be appreciated!
  Lara-IT | Feb 3, 2021 |
Weather warden Joanne Baldwin is infected with a Demon by Bad Bob Biringnine
  JohnLavik | Mar 29, 2020 |
Thunder is good, thunder is impressive; but it is the lightning that does the work --Mark Twain
To those who inspire: My husband, Cat (always), and to my dear friends Pat Elrod, Kelley Walters, Glenn Rogers, Pat Anthony, and --of course-- "the" Joanne Madge
To those who believe: Everybody in ORAC (you know who you are!) and my friends at LSGSC
To those who made it happen: Lucienne Diver and Laura Anne Gilman
To my musical inspiration: Joe Bonamassa
And finally, to the one who taught me to love the storm as much as the calm: Timothy Bartz Rest softly, my dear. This one's for you.
Cloudy and cool, with an 80% possibility of moderate to severe thunderstorms by mid-afternoon.

Well, thank God this is about to be over, I thought as I drove -- well, blew -- past the sign that marked the Westchester, Connecticut city limits.

Joanne Baldwin is a Weather Warden. Usually, all it takes is a wave of her hand to tame the most violent weather. But now, she's trying to outrun another kind of storm: accusations of corruption and murder. So, she's resorting to the very human tactic of running for her life.... Her only hope is Lewis, the most powerful warden known. Unfortunately, he's stolen not one but three bottles of Djinn - making him the most wanted man on earth. Still, she's racing hard to find him - before the bad weather closes in fast.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,223,177 books! | Top bar: Always visible