HomeGroupsTalkExplore

Mark of the Demon

by Diana Rowland

Series: Kara Gillian (1)

"Why me? Why now? That's what Beaulac, Louisiana, detective Kara Gillian was asking herself when an angelic creature named Rhyzkahl unexpectedly appeared during a routine summoning. Kara was hoping to use her occult skills to catch a serial killer, but never had she conjured anything like this unearthly beautiful and unspeakably powerful being whose very touch set off exquisite new dimensions of pleasure. But can she enlist his aid in helping her stop a killer who's already claimed the lives--and souls--of thirteen people? And should she? The Symbol Man is a nightmare that the city thought had ended three years ago. Now he's back for an encore and leaving every indication on the flesh of his victims that he, too, is well versed in demonic lore. Kara may be the only cop on Beaulac's small force able to stop the killer, but it is her first homicide case. Yet with Rhyzkahl haunting her dreams, and a handsome yet disapproving FBI agent dogging her waking footsteps, she may be in way over her head...."--p. [4] of cover.… (more)

Loved this book. Great plot, great characters. So wonderful.
Note of caution: Intense language, so if you don't like that sort of thing, i wouldn't suggest reading this. ( )
  xofelf | Apr 5, 2022 |
Pretty competent paranormal romance. I like the complexity of the protagonist's relationship with the main demon in the series. ( )
  SwitchKnitter | Dec 19, 2021 |
uhhhh that escalated quickly.

In my ongoing quest to escape my twitter feed, Facebook feed, and news in general (in a vaguely responsible way), I picked up the first book of this series (and am on the waiting list for the subsequent titles). I'm interested enough to continue reading but holy crap! I'm all for women being empowered over their sex lives, by all means, have safe fwb and one-night stands ... but demon lord is MAJORLY CREEPY ABOUT SEX. GAH. ( )
  resoundingjoy | Jan 1, 2021 |
This is a stronger UF than I would have guessed from my other impressions. It's very much a police procedural with demon summoning thrown in the mix. I was actually rather surprised that it felt a little bit like a burgeoning romance, too, but there it is! Demon lovers, unite! :)

I was getting the whole Kim Harrison vibe here for a while but I was pleased to see that this is very much its own beast.... or demon. An uber-powerful demon slumming it, a serial murderer, and a mystery. Pretty simple, but I don't mind. I had fun! It's an easy popcorn read and I'm curious to see just where the blood will go. :) ( )
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
Mark of the Demon
4 Stars

Alongside her day job as a detective with the Beaulac PD, Kara Gillian is also a demon summoner. Now her two vocations are about to collide when the Symbol Man, a dormant serial killer, returns with a vengeance and marks his victims with demonic symbols. Kara will need to use both her wits and her powers to combat a killer bent on accumulating power.

Excellent amalgamation of of paranormal elements with forensic investigation.

The serial killer plot is well-written with numerous twists and turns and several red-herrings cleverly woven into the story line. It is possible to follow the clues to the villain’s identity although my guess was incorrect. The story builds slowly but surely, and the climax is fast-paced and exciting.

Kara is an engaging heroine. Socially awkward and professionally insecure, Kara nonetheless stands her ground with her chauvinistic male colleagues and works diligently toward solving the crimes. She does have one or two TSTL moments but that is not unexpected given her lack of experience.

The two male leads are comprised of Ryan Kristoff, the suspicious FBI agent who gets off on the wrong foot with Kara, and Rhyzkhal, the seductive yet dangerous demon lord who has his own agenda and reasons for coming to Kara’s aid. At this juncture in the series, it is unclear where Kara’s relationships with these two very different men are going. As someone who really dislikes love triangles, I sincerely hope that they do not develop in this direction.

My one issue with the writing is Rowland’s excessive and unnecessary use of vulgarity. This is not something that typically bothers me when it is used effectively and in appropriate context, but here is is simply out of place and jarring.

Liv Anderson’s narration is adequate if somewhat slow, which led me to listen at 1.25 speed. Her tone and inflection are decent and her voices are quite distinct although there is a decided lack of Southern accent, which is a pity as the story is set in Louisiana.

In sum, a promising beginning to the series and it will be interesting to see what happens next. ( )
  Lauren2013 | May 24, 2018 |

Rowland, DianaAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Anderson, LivNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Cogne, FlorenceTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schwarz, KarinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

For Jack and Anna, my two favorite Demons

Cop and conjurer of demons, she's a woman in danger of losing control - to a power that could kill....

"Why me? Why now?" That’s what Beaulac, Louisiana, detective Kara Gillian was asking herself when an angelic creature named Rhyzkahl unexpectedly appeared during a routine summoning. Kara was hoping to use her occult skills to catch a serial killer, but never had she conjured anything like this unearthly beautiful and unspeakably powerful being whose very touch set off exquisite new dimensions of pleasure. But can she enlist his aid in helping her stop a killer who’s already claimed the lives - and souls - of 13 people? And should she?

The Symbol Man is a nightmare that the city thought had ended three years ago. Now he's back for an encore and leaving every indication on the flesh of his victims that he, too, is well versed in demonic lore. Kara may be the only cop on Beaulac’s small force able to stop the killer, but it is her first homicide case. Yet with Rhyzkahl haunting her dreams, and a handsome yet disapproving FBI agent dogging her waking footsteps, she may be in way over her head.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 182,958,971 books! | Top bar: Always visible