Working for the Devil

by Lilith Saintcrow

Series: Dante Valentine (1)

Necromance-for-hire Dante Valentine is choosy about her jobs. Hot-tempered and with nerves of steel, she can raise the dead like nobody's business. But one rainy Monday morning, everything goes straight to Hell. The Devil hires Dante to eliminate a renegade demon: Vardimal Santino. In return, he will let her live. It's an offer she can't refuse. There's just one catch. How do you kill something that can't die?… (more)
    Magic Bites by Ilona Andrews (amberwitch)
    Touch the Dark by Karen Chance (amberwitch)
    Ill Wind by Rachel Caine (amberwitch)
    Archangel's Kiss by Nalini Singh (TheBooknerd)
    TheBooknerd: For that combative, possessive kind of romance between a powerful, immortal being and an independent, violence-prone mortal woman.
    Guilty Pleasures by Laurell K. Hamilton (jlparent)
    jlparent: Both share a tough female lead who is good at raising the dead, having a smart mouth, and kicking ass.
    Street Magic by Caitlin Kittredge (TheBooknerd)
    TheBooknerd: Edgy, gritty urban fantasy with a hint of romance.
    Sandman Slim by Richard Kadrey (MyriadBooks)
    Blood Angel by Justine Musk (amberwitch)
    Once Bitten, Twice Shy by Jennifer Rardin (TheLibraryhag)

I wanted to like this book, i really did. I had high hopes for it. Maybe I set my sites too high though. The premise sounded promising. I'd finished the second Liz Williams book (Snake Agent is the first one), and it had so much potential, but never felt like it lived up to it. So I was hoping this series would scratch that itch. But it didn't. It felt shallow. Even for a "fun" book the characters felt too shallow, the dialogue stiff and repetitive. The slightly futuristic world didn't capture my imagination in any way.

WinterEgress | Dec 2, 2022 |
For the whole series: By the gods and kittens, that *censored* hurt.

Seriously excellent world building, really strong character development, a fascinating look at ethics without truth, and just... damn. An impressive and in many ways resonating construct, but I'm literally writing myself a note to never pick this particular series back up again because the price is so damn high.

And yeah, it gets five stars. Because it does what it does so very well. And because so many of the underlying structures are absolutely beautiful. ( )
  wetdryvac | Mar 2, 2021 |
Contrary to all (mine) expectations...I loooooved this book!!!
Dante is so not the Mary-Sue type which is not really funny you know?!...sure she's gorgeous and strong but she's also rude and doesn't really care what you think or what you want and most of the time if you told her not do to something she'll do it just to spite you!
Loved when she went on a ride with the slicboard to feel alive again after the necromance stuff ...totally understand it even if I don't go around risking my life when I need to prove myself I'm still in control...
I liked also the other characters and the story caught me from page one...now I only have to read the following four books of the series....
  Lara-IT | Feb 3, 2021 |
Not for the faint of heart, but if you like gritty urban fantasy with loads of paranormal stuff going on, you will like this book. I bought a HUGE volume with the complete series between two covers early in the summer, and I'm finally getting to it. Fast-paced with nicely complex characters and lots of action. Moved on to the next book already! ( )
  sdramsey | Dec 14, 2020 |
I liked this book a lot and the sequel is already on hold. A lot like LKH’s series without all the sex (only one scene in this book – when Jaf gives Danny some of his demon powers). ( )
  klandring | Nov 8, 2020 |
Nel mezzo del cammin di nostra vitami ritrovai per una selva oscura,che la dritta via era smarrita.— Dante
Hell hath no limits, nor is circumscribed
In one self place, but where we are is hell,And where hell is must we ever be.
— Mephistopheles, by way of Marlowe
To L. I.
I keep my bargains
My working relationship with Lucifer began on a rainy Monday.
"-leave me," Japhrimel snarled. "You will not leave me to wander the earth alone - breathe, damn you, breathe!"

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 206,131,899 books! | Top bar: Always visible