Archangel's Kiss

by Nalini Singh

Series: Guild Hunter (2)

When her lover, the archangel Raphael, receives an invitation to a ball from the archangel Lijuan, Elena, who is still recovering from her transformation into an angel, must accompany him to Beijing, where a nightmare awaits them.

English (51)  Hungarian (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (53)
This book was great! I loved watching Elena go from being one of the strongest and most talented humans around to one of the weakest and most vulnerable angels. It was good watching her learn about the angel world and find her place in it. It was also good to see the relationship between Raphael and Elena grow. Raphael makes most alpha males look a little soft and fluffy. He is immortal (well sort of) and has unbelievable skills and power. He is an object of fear to anyone with any sense at all. But he loves Elena and is willing to compromise for her. Elena is strong in her humanity even though she is now also an immortal angel. She is strong enough for a relationship with equality. She brings her strengths to Raphael.

I like the world and mythology that is created. Singh talks about some of the hidden dangers of immortality. So many of the angels have gotten to the point where they have no value for human life and the only thing that interests them is causing pain. Angels are the top predator on Earth and their politics are based on who is the strongest. Elena is a weakness for Raphael and she must quickly learn to defend herself. Luckily, she is a skilled survivor. Both Elena and Raphael have pasts that haunt them. Elena was witness to a rogue vampire coming to her home when she was ten hunting her who then killed her two older sisters in horrible ways and torturing her mother. Her mother later commits suicide. Elena had blocked most of those memories but becoming immortal has stirred them up again in the form of nightmares. Raphael has nightmares of his own. His own father was killed by his mother after he devolved into a blood-craving monster and his mother disappeared. Raphael fears that he too will devolve. You see, immortals do either devolve or evolve over the course of their long lives. Elena's human heart is what will keep him from devolving.

Lijuan is the oldest of the immortals and she has evolved in such a way that she has no interest in humanity at all and is busy creating zombie like creatures who are loyal only to her. She sees Elena as a curiosity to be experimented with. She has so much power that the other angels fear her. But Lijuan is not Elena's only enemy. She dodges many attempts to kill her and a good part of the book is concerned with finding out who is targeting her and stopping them.

This was a rich, fascinating book filled with well-rounded characters. I look forward to following further adventures in the Guild Hunter series. ( )
  kmartin802 | Jul 24, 2021 |
I enjoyed seeing Elena's training and appreciated getting to know more of the Seven. Raphael is so cold (since he's, you know, an angel) that when he's sweet, it just melts my heart. I can't wait for Elena's dad to get what's coming to him, though.

Something I noticed that quite frankly got on my nerves was that Singh uses the phrase "like so much garbage" so much. Hopefully, I'll see that less as I continue the series. ( )
  littlebookjockey | Sep 15, 2020 |
I enjoyed meeting more of the characters in the world, especially the big, bad angel's second in command. There are so many great secondary characters in this series. It's always a sign of an author's skills, when they can make you want to read about everyone else in their world. ( )
  JordanSummers | Mar 31, 2020 |
Listened ot audio narrated very well by Justine Eyre. Elena is healing and has to regain her strength and learn how to fight and defend herself with wings. She has a short time as Lijuan is holding a ball in her honor. With all of that there is also an angel plotting and murdering in the Refuge and Raphael and Elena are determined to hunt down and avenge the murders and the attack on an angel child. Lots going on, learn more about the Archangels and the horror that Lijuan is becoming.
  wyldheartreads | Jun 20, 2019 |
This book continues off pretty soon after the first book. Our heroine Elena is learning how to fight and learning to strengthen her wings so that she can learn to fly. They have two months to have her ready to meet one of the oldest of their kind and the most powerful. And Raphael and Elena need to be ready for any trick she may pull including trying to kill them. Elena is considered a "baby" and weak and can be killed pretty easily. But Elena is just as fierce in this book as she is in the first one. This story isn't as intense in building of plot and suspenseful moments, but it goes on a different take and one that I really liked. We see more focus on the emotional bonds between Raphael and Elena. The sexual tension between these two is enough to start a fire or more, boy these two have some wicked chemistry and see more focus on that in this story. Which is what I loved most about it, was seeing these two really come together in the way they both needed to. The supporting characters were unique and some of them were some bat crazy, we fall in love with a little boy angel and we get more of the "seven" and Elena holds her own where they are concerned. Overall this is a couple to keep your eye one...excited to see what the next book brings to us!!
Question To The Readers:

Have you read this series? What do you think of Raphael and Elena?

“They didn't understand that she held his heart, held it so utterly that there was nothing he wouldn't do, no line he wouldn't cross to keep her safe.

“We'll build our own home."
The promise curled around her heart, a vivid ray of sunlight. "In Manhattan?"
"Of course." A slow, slow smile. "What kind of mansion would you like?"
Damn, but the archangel was playing with her again. The sunshine grew, filled her veins.
"Actually, I kind of like yours." She slid her arms around his neck. "Can I have it? Oh, and can I have Jeeves, too? I've always wanted a butler."
"Yes."
She blinked. "Just like that?"
"It's only a place."
"We'll make it more," she promised, her mouth to his. "We'll make it ours.”

“But you, you’ve always been the rain, the wind, inside my mind. I taste you when I sleep, when I wake, when I breathe.” ( )
  addictofromance | Mar 24, 2019 |

Nalini Singhprimary authorall editionscalculated
Eyre, JustineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

We leave with the next sunrise.
Drip.
Drip. Drip.

Vampire hunter Elena Deveraux wakes from a year-long coma to find that she has become an angel and that her lover, the stunningly dangerous archangel Raphael, likes having her under his control. But almost immediately, Raphael must ready Elena for a flight to Beijing, to attend a ball thrown by the archangel Lijuan.

Ancient and without conscience, Lijuan's power lies with the dead. And she has organized the most perfect and most vicious of welcomes for Elena.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,533,637 books! | Top bar: Always visible