Magic Bites (2007)

by Ilona Andrews

Other authors: Andrew Gordon (Author's real name), Ilona Gordon (Co-author's real name)

Series: Kate Daniels World (1), Kate Daniels (1)

Mercenary Kate Daniels cleans up urban problems of a paranormal kind. But her latest prey, a pack of undead warriors, presents her greatest challenge.
    Moon Called by Patricia Briggs (SunnySD)
    Bitten by Kelley Armstrong (AmethystFaerie, shadiphoenix)
    The Better Part of Darkness by Kelly Gay (noneofthis)
    noneofthis: For the alternate Atlanta location.
    Claimed by Shadow by Karen Chance (mak_mohn)
    Embrace the Night by Karen Chance (mak_mohn)
    Touch the Dark by Karen Chance (mak_mohn)
    Blood Engines by T. A. Pratt (The_Holy_Terror)
    Staying Dead by Laura Anne Gilman (Jenson_AKA_DL)
    Jenson_AKA_DL: Both of these books are slow to build urban fantasy stories with strong female leads and very light romantic UST. Fans of one would probably enjoy the other as well.
    Street Magic by Caitlin Kittredge (TheBooknerd)
    The Rook by Daniel O'Malley (pwaites)
    pwaites: Urban fantasy, strong female lead, and very interesting world building.
    Three Parts Dead by Max Gladstone (pwaites)
    Urban Shaman by C. E. Murphy (majkia)
    majkia: very different ideas of female protags in urban fantasy
    Mind Games by Carolyn Crane (leahsimone)
    Night Life by Caitlin Kittredge (shadiphoenix)
    Cast in Shadow by Michelle Sagara (MyriadBooks, reconditereader)
    The Emperor's Edge by Lindsay Buroker (Vierran)
    Vierran: Lindsay Buroker's Emperor's Edge series is set in a semi-steampunkish fantasy world, and has fast-paced adventure with well-drawn characters, a hint of romance, and plenty of humour.
    Unholy Ghosts by Stacia Kane (reconditereader)

English (214)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (217)
I already love this series. Diving straight into the next. ( )
  Rhiannon.Mistwalker | Aug 19, 2022 |

ayoshina | Jul 31, 2022 |
Ágætis fantasía þar sem heimurinn hefur breyst í veröld þar sem tækni og galdrar takast á. Þegar galdrar virka gerir tæknin það aftur á móti ekki og öfugt. Þetta gerir fólki erfitt að lifa og um leið ber meir á fantasíu verum á borð við vampírur, varúlfum og álíka skepnum.
Kate Daniels er hörkunagli sem hefur þurft að fara leynt en þegar sá sem stendur henni næst er myrtur neyðist hún til að fara á stjá og leita sökudólganna sem virðast ætla sér að etja saman helstu valdaklíkum borgarinnar. ( )
  SkuliSael | Apr 28, 2022 |
I think I'm very glad that my introduction to Ilona Andrews started with their more recent "Hidden Legacy" series. After going back to the earliest part of their bibliography with Magic Bites, it really feels like this was a practice run for Nevada Baylor and Mad Rogan's story, and ultimately I liked Hidden Legacy better.

Kate and Curran's details feel very similar to Nevada and Rogan: a tough lady with a dry sense of humor who knows how to hold her own in a fight and secretly has high-level magical powers? An overly masculine, emotionally unavailable, borderline feral brawler with an insatiable attraction to the female lead? A relationship between the two that begins with some uncomfortably violent and problematic interactions? Yeah, I've read this before. Their voices are similar as well. Perhaps this is just the Ilona Andrews style, but if someone handed me a scene of Kate and Curran's antagonistic, crass "flirting" and told me it was an excerpt from a Hidden Legacy book, I wouldn't question it. None of this is really a complaint: the Kate Daniels series was a huge success for Ilona Andrews, and over the ~10 years that they wrote the series I'm sure that they honed their skills for writing these character archetypes to perfection. The characters might not have hit the mark yet for me in this first volume, but I know the series probably only gets better from here.

Another similarity to Hidden Legacy: the worldbuilding here is AWESOME. IA are great at coming up with very cool worlds for their characters to play in, and the rules and details of them never fail to draw me in. In this case, Kate and company live in a universe where magic is commonplace: law enforcement has departments dedicated to dealing with magic users and their goings-on, shapeshifters are all around living in packs with very organized hierarchies, vampires are... some sort of weird zombie-golem abominations that you don't want to come across. And coolest of all: magic and regular, modern technology are both part of day-to-day life, but there are specific times of day where one or the other straight up don't work. You can cast a spell, but if you need to travel anywhere you better find a bike or a horse because your car will not run for the next three hours. It's such a random limitation to put on this world, but it really ensures that there are unlimited opportunities for conflict that characters will have to face because of it. I really enjoyed that aspect of the story.

Overall, is this my favorite urban fantasy of all time? No, it didn't exactly grab me as much as other books, even others from the same author. But I think it has a lot of potential and I'm interested to see where Kate and Curran go from here. Also, Renee Raudman is the audiobook reader for this series, and I absolutely adored her reading the Hidden Legacy series, so at least there's that. ( )
  torygy | Mar 31, 2022 |
This was a really great start to a new series. I love Kate Daniels' spunk and her independence. Loved the characters of Derek and Curran as well. Very graphic descriptions and realistic dialogue. I was starting to catch onto things by the end. Amazing world building and very complex characters. I definitely want to read more. ( )
  KatKinney | Mar 3, 2022 |

Ilona Andrewsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gordon, AndrewAuthor's real namesecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gordon, IlonaCo-author's real namesecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Balfe, LoriAuthors' photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
del Rosario, KristinInterior text designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fiore, AnnetteCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gill, JasonCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kolesova, JulianaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ward, Chad MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ward,Chad MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my daughters, Anastasia and Helen
I sat at a table in my shadowy kitchen, staring down a bottle of Boone's Farm Hard Lemonade, when a magic fluctuation hit.
Every city has one of those neighborhoods -- dangerous, sinister places -- so treacherous that even the criminals who prey on other criminals shun them. Unicorn Lane was such a place. Thirty city blocks long and eight blocks deep, it cut through what used to be Midtown like a dagger. Half-crumbled skyscrapers stood there, mute witness to the past technology, the husks of GLG Grand, Promenade II, and One Atlantic Center, gnawed down to the bones by magic. Rubble choked the streets and sewage overflowed from the busted pipes in foul-smelling streams. Magic pooled there, lingering even in the strongest of tech waves, and hideous things that shun the light found refuge there, among the dark carcasses of gutted high rises. Lunatic mages, vicious, perverted loups who feared a death at the hand of unforgiving Pack, Satanists, and rogue necromancers all ran to Unicorn, for if they could make it there and survive, no lawman on this earth would force them out. Unicorn Lane held on to its own.

Hell of a place for a rendezvous. (chapter 3)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 176,525,745 books! | Top bar: Always visible