Magic Bites (2007)

by Ilona Andrews

Other authors: Andrew Gordon (Author's real name), Ilona Gordon (Co-author's real name)

Series: Kate Daniels World (1), Kate Daniels (1)

3,6092082,663 (3.86)176
Mercenary Kate Daniels cleans up urban problems of a paranormal kind. But her latest prey, a pack of undead warriors, presents her greatest challenge.
    Moon Called by Patricia Briggs (SunnySD)
    Bitten by Kelley Armstrong (AmethystFaerie, shadiphoenix)
    The Better Part of Darkness by Kelly Gay (noneofthis)
    noneofthis: For the alternate Atlanta location.
    Claimed by Shadow by Karen Chance (mak_mohn)
    Embrace the Night by Karen Chance (mak_mohn)
    Touch the Dark by Karen Chance (mak_mohn)
    Blood Engines by T. A. Pratt (The_Holy_Terror)
    Staying Dead by Laura Anne Gilman (Jenson_AKA_DL)
    Jenson_AKA_DL: Both of these books are slow to build urban fantasy stories with strong female leads and very light romantic UST. Fans of one would probably enjoy the other as well.
    Street Magic by Caitlin Kittredge (TheBooknerd)
    The Rook by Daniel O'Malley (pwaites)
    pwaites: Urban fantasy, strong female lead, and very interesting world building.
    Three Parts Dead by Max Gladstone (pwaites)
    Urban Shaman by C. E. Murphy (majkia)
    majkia: very different ideas of female protags in urban fantasy
    Mind Games by Carolyn Crane (leahsimone)
    Night Life by Caitlin Kittredge (shadiphoenix)
    Cast in Shadow by Michelle Sagara (MyriadBooks, reconditereader)
    The Emperor's Edge by Lindsay Buroker (Vierran)
    Vierran: Lindsay Buroker's Emperor's Edge series is set in a semi-steampunkish fantasy world, and has fast-paced adventure with well-drawn characters, a hint of romance, and plenty of humour.
    Unholy Ghosts by Stacia Kane (reconditereader)

English (205)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (208)
Ilona Andrews is one of my favorite authors and the Kate Daniels series is my favorite of all the books that the husband/wife duo write. The writing style is fast paced and engaging and the characters are completely believable despite the fantastical elements that surround all the books. These books are a must read for me and I eagerly devour them and count the months until the next one arrives. I love that despite the occult and romance leanings of these books there is still a generous dose of humor. I highly recommend the Kate Daniels series ( )
  KateKat11 | Sep 24, 2021 |
***Review on 20 februari 2017***
Curran is an ass.

There I said it.

Reviewing this book is weird because I already know what's going to happen later on. But I love the narrator so it's ideal for when I have task which require me to move but not to think. ( )
  Jonesy_now | Sep 24, 2021 |
On one hand, Magic Bites was pretty much what I expected. Urban Fantasy with a strong female lead (this time a mostly stock standard human mercenary albeit with some sort of so far unspecified magical bloodline) finds some trouble, things go badly, things get better, lead saves the day.

On the other hand, Kate Daniels is a solid character to read. Despite not knowing whatever it is that gives her a bit of extra oomph, it doesn't really matter. She has a cool sword, a lot of training, and can handle herself even in the presence of some big bads. That's more than enough for me.

What really surprised me was the worldbuilding. A core concept of the world is that the magical world is out in the open. I haven't really come across another urban fantasy that's gone quite that far ([b:Moon Called|71811|Moon Called (Mercy Thompson, #1)|Patricia Briggs|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1272070347s/71811.jpg|69530] et al come close, but only the fae and eventually werewolves are 'out' there) and it's well done. Magic is integrated into society and government in a way that feels real enough. What's really neat though is that magic isn't a constant. Magic and technology seem to ebb and flow in waves. Sometimes magic is low and technology is high--cars and guns reign supreme. And then sometimes magic runs hot. Traditional cars fail, people have to use horses to get around Atlanta, and all sorts of supernatural beasties come out to play.

Not going to lie. That's pretty cool.

There's also a pretty neat take on vampires which is a bit non-standard. In this world, they're not formerly human predators, turned up to eleven, but formerly human monsters, with little intelligence of their own. Instead, they're controlled by Necromancers. Neat trick that.

There are also a whole pile of shapeshifters all formed into a single Pack under the lead of a Werelion Curran.

“Here, Kitty, Kitty, Kitty...”

It works better than you might expect.

Overall, I had high hopes going into this book and while it's rough in spots, it's a fun read and I look forward to the rest of the series. Depending on how it goes, this may just join my relatively short list of series to re-read every couple years.

It's good.

Onwards! ( )
  jpv0 | Jul 21, 2021 |
You’ll be anything but bored
Kate is a little too snarky for me, but she's in-character. Considering that this is the first book in an ongoing series, we’ll give her personality (as well as her side romance) room to develop. However, allowing herself to be kissed by an opponent who had also tested her, which could’ve resulted in her death stretches the bounds of the suspension of disbelief.

The action rocks, the plot is well-paced and complex as is its story universe, which isn't fully explained and will leave you panting for more. ( )
  quantum.alex | May 31, 2021 |
~ 4 Magic Bites Stars ~

This is my Favorite series!

This is a fabulous debut into the Kate Daniels series. Magic Bites takes us into a world ticking back-and-forth between magic and technology.

We get a mystery, action-packed adventure, great world and character building, and a story that sucks you in and does not let go. I had forgotten how great it is to pick up a book, get sucked into the world, and by the end want more.

We are introduced to Kate, a mercenary who will soon be entangled in the happenings of Atlanta. She is a fierce kick-ass heroine, with the knowledge, and abilities to grow and develop. I LOVE Kate as a heroine. We are also introduced to the different creatures and factions in Atlanta. It’s a very intricate world with everyone having their own codes, rules, etc. The shapeshifters and vampires in this world are very different from what we are used to reading about. I really enjoy the change in the status que. I would have given this 5 stars, but I remember the first time I read this I had trouble with the world and plot a little. Their is a lot going on. The author has to develop/explain the world, characters, and the plot. The Andrews team does a fantastic job with this as well as developing the characters that will be featured in the series.

My favorite scene is when Kate meets the Best Lord (Curran)… “Here, Kitty Kitty” ^_^

A fantastic read! If you enjoy Urban Fantasy, then this is a must read. The Andrews team have created a fabulous world that is new and unique.

Update Sept. 2017: I love this series. I decide I wanted to give the audiobook a try and I have to say, WOW! It was an outstanding listen. I enjoyed the narrator and her portrayal of the characters. Going to continue the series in audio.

angelsgp | May 14, 2021 |

Ilona Andrewsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gordon, AndrewAuthor's real namesecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gordon, IlonaCo-author's real namesecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Balfe, LoriAuthors' photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
del Rosario, KristinInterior text designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fiore, AnnetteCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gill, JasonCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kolesova, JulianaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ward,Chad MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my daughters, Anastasia and Helen
I sat at a table in my shadowy kitchen, staring down a bottle of Boone's Farm Hard Lemonade, when a magic fluctuation hit.
Every city has one of those neighborhoods -- dangerous, sinister places -- so treacherous that even the criminals who prey on other criminals shun them. Unicorn Lane was such a place. Thirty city blocks long and eight blocks deep, it cut through what used to be Midtown like a dagger. Half-crumbled skyscrapers stood there, mute witness to the past technology, the husks of GLG Grand, Promenade II, and One Atlantic Center, gnawed down to the bones by magic. Rubble choked the streets and sewage overflowed from the busted pipes in foul-smelling streams. Magic pooled there, lingering even in the strongest of tech waves, and hideous things that shun the light found refuge there, among the dark carcasses of gutted high rises. Lunatic mages, vicious, perverted loups who feared a death at the hand of unforgiving Pack, Satanists, and rogue necromancers all ran to Unicorn, for if they could make it there and survive, no lawman on this earth would force them out. Unicorn Lane held on to its own.

Hell of a place for a rendezvous. (chapter 3)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,515,522 books! | Top bar: Always visible