Moon Called (2006)

by Patricia Briggs

Series: World of the Marrok (1), Mercy Thompson (1)

6,5583031,101 (4.11)1 / 402
Mercy Thompson's life is not exactly normal. Her next-door neighbor is a werewolf. Her former boss is a gremlin. And she's fixing a VW bus for a vampire. But then, Mercy isn't exactly normal herself.
    Blood Bound by Patricia Briggs (Kerian)
    Magic Burns by Ilona Andrews (mak_mohn)
    Cry Wolf by Patricia Briggs (leahsimone)
    Magic Bites by Ilona Andrews (SunnySD)
    Halfway to the Grave by Jeaniene Frost (asterravos)
    Kitty and the Midnight Hour by Carrie Vaughn (amberwitch)
    amberwitch: Great urban fantasy series, first person narrated by shapeshifting female protagonists.
    Bitten by Kelley Armstrong (leahsimone, shadiphoenix)
    Kitty Takes a Holiday by Carrie Vaughn (amberwitch)
    Tempting Danger by Eileen Wilks (Larkken)
    Larkken: Strong female protagonist becomes involved with werewolves. The werewolf packs are organized differently, but the two series deal similarly with issues of independence and also draw in other supernatural beings.
    Stray by Rachel Vincent (shanesuzanne)
    shanesuzanne: Both stories are hot and action packed with a young shifter heroine who is rare and thus very coveted and smothered within her pack/pride. She must battle her family to earn her independence, and fight her heart and instincts to avoid being “owned” by HOT men whom drive them crazy with lust and desire. (Stray is a bit more sensual)… (more)
    Heart of Stone by C. E. Murphy (Kassilem)
    Tinker by Wen Spencer (amberwitch)
    amberwitch: Urban fantasy and gritty mechanics
    The Mystery of Grace by Charles de Lint (catfantastic)
    Pride Mates by Jennifer Ashley (deep220)
    Someplace to be Flying by Charles de Lint (MyriadBooks)
    Lonely Werewolf Girl by Martin Millar (GirlMisanthrope)
    Silver Kiss by Naomi Clark (Anonymous user)
    The Price of the Stars by Debra Doyle (mak_mohn)

English (297)  Portuguese (1)  Hungarian (1)  Piratical (1)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  All languages (302)
Moon Called is book one in the Mercy Thompson series by Patricia Briggs.

I read this series years ago and have re-read it many times; before I decided to try the Audiobook. I listened to the audio for the first time in 2017 and have re-listened over the years to get ready for each new release. As many of you may know, if you follow me, this is one of my all time favorite series. Mercy Rocks!

We are treated to Action, Adventure, Suspense, Mystery, Magic, Supernaturals of all kinds, and so much more. The author does a splendid job introducing us to a verity of characters and supernaturals in the Tri-City area. Adam is the Alpha of the Columbia Basin werewolf pack, Mercy our heroine is a coyote shifter, Stefan the vampire, and many others. There are no shortages of interesting and unique secondary characters to enjoy.

Mercy is one of my all time favorite heroine’s. She makes my top three list of kick-ass women. She’s a tough cookie that understands the werewolves behavior’s, (since she was raised by one), and knows how to deal with their moods. She’s got brains and can think for herself as well as she listens to her instincts. She’s got bit and doesn’t need to undergo any training to be capable; because she's already a strong capable women, but she also has some vulnerabilities too. I love that both sides mesh.

Adam Hauptman - Man he’s hot and sexy. He’s a strong Alpha leader. You can see his strengths and weaknesses. He does get his ass handed to him a few times in this novel, but he weathers it well. He doesn’t put anyone down and works with those around him. He promises to be a perfect love interest for Mercy and a strong Pack leader. I adore his relationship with his daughter, Jesse.

Jesse, Adam’s daughter. I love kids in my novels. Especially when they are written to improve the story and characters. Her relationship with her father is wonderful. I also like her relationship with Mercy too. You can see she will play a part in getting her father and Mercy together.

Sam aka Dr. Samuel Cornick - His introduction was done well and the past he has with Mercy, well you see that it changed her life. Will she go back to Sam or move forward. Only time will tell, but I can say that Sam is another interesting character and promises fun things.

Stefan - The vampire. He’s got a unique relationship with Mercy. You wonder if they can be friends or not for vampires kill Walkers. He’s got this good/bad vibe to him. You can see he’s different from the other vampires we meet, but is he different enough.

Briggs is an amazing world builder. The author does an outstanding job introducing all the characters and building the world. The story is fasted-paced. We are kept on our tows trying to find all the players and figure out what’s going on while hopping everyone is safe.

Narration: Lorelei King is one of my favorite narrators. She does an outstanding job with all the characters and building the story. The voices are perfect for all he characters introduced. I can’t recommend the audio enough.

Moon Called is one of the best Urban Fantasy’s out there. I can’t recommend the Mercy Thompson series enough. It’s got so much to love.

Rated: 4 Stars

Audio: Jan. 2020 LOVED it all over again.
Audio: Aug. 2017 Audio is outstanding. Loved it all over again.

angelsgp | May 14, 2021 |
Well, I read this again or decided to give it another chance, since it's a group read for Paranormal Addicts & Newbies - Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy (well will be for April, I'm a bit ahead). It was better than I remembered, but it still had the problems I remembered from the first time. The lack of women and the hostile relationships of the main character to a lot of the minor characters that were women. The fact that all the guys love her and I just HATE love triangles. So, still not my series...

Edit: A review can also be found on my blog. ( )
  RankkaApina | Feb 22, 2021 |
I don't love the covers of this series. When I started this series, I thought maybe I had skipped a prequel or pre-series, since the way that backstories were introduced made me feel like I had missed a lot of information. I also made the mistake of reading the synopsis of subsequent books as I was placing holds on Libby, so I already know that the (probable) endgame pairing is not the one I would have like to see, but I'll keep going with the series for a while and maybe it'll bring me around. ( )
  resoundingjoy | Jan 1, 2021 |
Complete brain candy, which is what I want from urban fantasy. Not my favorite in the genre but an enjoyable read. Mercy is the typical stubborn, tougher-than-she-looks protagonist, a bit of a special snowflake, but also the reason why the series exists. Men/werewolves fighting over her, lots of violence and mystery, vampires, fae, intrigue, humor. It works even if it's not classic literature. ( )
  JustZelma | Dec 20, 2020 |
This is the start to a great series of books and I really love Mercy Thompson and her personality. This book has werewolves, vampires, fae and I loved the world that Patricia Briggs created. It's one of the few vampire and werewolves books where I love the world of supernatural that Briggs created and the hierarchy that the vampires and werewolves follow. ( )
  payday1999 | Dec 8, 2020 |

King, LoreleiNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lagerman, JudithCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lenoir, LorèneTraductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is for
Kaye’s mom, Almeda Brown Christensen, who likes my books; Alice and Bill Rieckman who like horses as much as I do; and in memory of Floyd “Buck” Buckner, a good man.
I didn't realize he was a werewolf at first.

Werewolves can be dangerous if you get in their way, but they'll leave you alone if you are careful. They are very good at hiding their natures from the human population, but I'm not human. I know them when I meet them, and they know me too.

Mercy Thompson's sexy next-door neighbour is a werewolf.

She's tinkering with a VW bus at her mechanic shop that happens to belong to a vampire.

But then, Mercy Thompson is not exactly normal herself...and her connection to the world of things that go bump in the night is about to get her into a whole lot of trouble.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 159,225,354 books! | Top bar: Always visible