Magic Burns by Ilona Andrews

Magic Burns

by Ilona Andrews, Andrew Gordon (Author's real name), Ilona Gordon (Co-author's real name)

Series: Kate Daniels (2)

Recently added byJanetteJovel, rena75, Anderweltler, Jen_Pretty, private library

English (120)  French (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (122)
Any shortcomings I felt the first book had were made up for in the second. I still love the characters, their interactions, and the world itself. I'd love to see this as a movie, especially if some real money went into the special effects; the problem would be how much of the book happens inside Kate's head. I suppose there could be narration, but that's tough to do well. It can get awkward or hokey so easily.

I don't get the complaints in some other reviews about not understanding the world at this point in the series. Explanation is worked in throughout the first and second books. If this is one of those "why is the sky blue" things, where you want to know WHY magic and tech switch, you just gotta accept the concept as it is. If you try too hard to explain that kind of thing, you end up with stupid shit like the Star Wars midichlorians.

Personally, I like when books let you make a few leaps and don't over-explain every single thing. I did think the first one left out a bit too much, but here it all started to come together. Loved it, will definitely keep reading the series. ( )
  jjLitke | Sep 21, 2018 |
LOVE this series!!!! ( )
  PNRList | Aug 15, 2018 |
Very good follow-up to Magic Bites. This is Book 2. I can see the building of her cast of characters having read a later book first. Lots of action, good-worldbuilding. This is a suspenseful and hard-to-down book once I started. Probably not a book I'll remember for long but I enjoyed it as I read it and I want to read the rest of the series. ( )
  phyllis2779 | Jun 19, 2018 |
2.5 stars ( )
  mitabird | Jun 10, 2018 |
Magic Burns
4.5 Stars

An exciting and fast paced plot with well-developed characters and intense world building.

The Kate Daniels books are rapidly becoming my favorite UF series. Kate is a kick-ass heroine who inadvertently finds herself looking out for a young girl whose mother has disappeared. As she follows the bizarre clues, Kate must contend with Celtic Gods and their minions who are determined to gain a foothold on Earth while at the same time fighting her feelings for Curran, the Beast Lord of the shape-shifters.

The post-apocalyptic world established in book #1 is fleshed out more in this installment as magic grows in power due to the Flare, which occurs once every seven years. The dark and gritty descriptions of modern civilization's gradual decay as a result of succumbing to the power of magic are original and absorbing.

The incorporation of entities from Celtic mythology adds an extra layer of suspense to the mystery surrounding the disappearance of the witch coven. While this storyline is exhilarating and action-packed, the resolution is only partially complete as it is never 100% clear what happened to Julie's mother and the other members of her coven. That said, the villains are suitably disgusting and disturbing, and the ultimate confrontation between the forces of good and evil at the climax of the book is well-written and thrilling.

More information is also provided regarding Kate's past and her mother's death but numerous questions remain unanswered, such as the precise origin and nature of her powers and the reasons for her animosity toward Roland (the leader of the People). It will be interesting to see how this plays out in future books.

Finally, the interactions between Kate and Curran are another highlight of the book. The slow build up of tension between them is captivating and their push-pull dynamic is very entertaining - it is great to see the Beast Lord put in his place every so often. ( )
  Lauren2013 | May 24, 2018 |

Ilona Andrewsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gordon, AndrewAuthor's real namemain authorall editionsconfirmed
Gordon, IlonaCo-author's real namemain authorall editionsconfirmed
del Rosario, KristinDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fiore, AnnetteCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ward,Chad MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the late David Gemmell. You have inspired me with your books. It was my dream to meet you, and I deeply regret your passing.
The phone rang in the middle of the night.

Kate goes up against Celtic gods, finds an orphan in need of protection, and fends off the Beast Lord -- all while trying to stay alive.
Down in Atlanta, tempers - and temperatures - are about to flare...As a mercenary who cleans up after magic gone wrong, Kate Daniels has seen her share of occupational hazards. Normally, waves of paranormal energy ebb and flow across Atlanta like a tide. But once every seven years, a flare comes, a time when magic runs rampant. Now Kate is going to have to deal with problems on a much bigger scale: a divine one.
When Kate sets out to retrieve a set of stolen maps for the Pack, Atlanta's paramilitary clan of shapeshifters, she quickly realizes much more is at stake. During a flare, gods and goddesses can manifest and battle for power. The stolen maps are only the opening gambit in an epic tug-of-war between two gods hoping for rebirth. And if Kate can't stop the cataclysmic showdown, the city may not survive.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0441015832, Mass Market Paperback)

As a mercenary who cleans up after magic gone wrong, Kate Daniels knows how waves of paranormal energy ebb and flow across Atlanta like a tide. But once every seven years, a flare comes, a time when magic runs rampant. When Kate sets out to retrieve a set of stolen maps for the Pack, Atlanta's paramilitary clan of shape shifters, she quickly realizes much more is at stake. The stolen maps are only the opening gambit in an epic tug of war between two gods hoping for rebirth, and if Kate can't stop the cataclysmic showdown, the city may not survive.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:37 -0400)

When mercenary Kate Daniels is hired to retrieve a set of stolen maps for the Pack, Atlanta's paramilitary clan of shapeshifters, she is plunged into the middle of an epic battle between two gods hoping for rebirth.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,630,718 books! | Top bar: Always visible