Magic Burns by Ilona Andrews

Magic Burns

by Ilona Andrews, Andrew Gordon (Author's real name), Ilona Gordon (Co-author's real name)

Series: Kate Daniels (2)

2,2201314,470 (4.17)76
When mercenary Kate Daniels is hired to retrieve a set of stolen maps for the Pack, Atlanta's paramilitary clan of shapeshifters, she is plunged into the middle of an epic battle between two gods hoping for rebirth.

English (129)  French (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (131)
“I don't want it to be attributed to a loss of control on my part. When I throw you out of the window, I want there to be no doubt the act was deliberate.”

I LOVE this series! The Ilona Andrews duo never ceases to amaze me, and I hope they write books together forever! I first discovered this writing team when I read Burn for Me, which is part of their Hidden Legacy series. When I ran out of books to read in that series, I went searching for something else to replace it and stumbled across their Kate Daniels books. I read the first book (read my review here ) and knew it was going to be wonderful. The world-building is fantastic, the characters are complex and detailed, and the stories have been engaging and action-packed.

Kate is a snarky, no-nonsense character, and I love her personality. She has a big secret that we've only scratched the surface on, and I have a feeling the authors will slowly reveal new details as the story continues. We learn a little more about her with each consecutive book, and I have a vague idea of what she might be hiding. I really like that her thoughts show us how scared or concerned she might be in a situation, but she always sounds confident and gives plenty of attitude. “We were screwed and he didn't even kiss us first.”

Curran is everything I want in a male character. He's clearly an alpha, and doesn't hesitate to put people in their place. I think he secretly enjoys it when Kate challenges him, despite her clearly being the weaker opponent. Yes, she has magic at her disposal, and she's good with a sword, but Curran is fierce and acts with an animal's instincts. Their back-and-forth banter is one of my favorite things! They like each other, but haven't admitted their feelings to anyone. It's apparent in the way they choose to interact, even if they're never overly obvious about it.

I really enjoy all of the secondary characters, no matter how small their roles are within the book. Derek is clearly a teenager, but he has a lot of responsibility within the Pack, and he takes his job very seriously. I like that he's usually assigned to guard Kate (per Curran's orders), and think the two have a lovely working relationship. He's sweet and dependable, always loyal to the Pack, and fiercely protective.

Ghastek is rarely there as a human, because he's almost always piloting a vampire, but I love his dry sense of humor and how he teases Kate throughout the book. They get along for the most part, but working alongside a vampire is never easy (though there are some benefits). It's eerie what a vampire can do, and there is always the possibility of Ghastek losing control.

Andrea is a new favorite of mine, and I cannot wait to see her in future books! She and Kate share a secret, which only solidifies their friendship, and I hope Andrea is involved in future adventures. Even people that are only mentioned once or twice feel significant. It's really amazing!

I'm always surprised by the story and rarely anticipate the direction it will go. There are vampires, shifters, witches, gods, mythology, giant turtles -- it's almost impossible to imagine what will happen next! I can never listen to the audiobooks fast enough, and I'm always eager for the next one as soon as I'm finished. It's a bummer there is a wait list at my library!

If you haven't heard of this series or these authors, I highly recommend you check them out! They've written some amazing things, and I look forward to reading whatever they come up with next.

Originally posted at Do You Dog-ear? on November 24, 2018. ( )
  doyoudogear | Oct 11, 2019 |
The magic is rising and falling at a rapidly increasing rate. There is only one thing the fluctuating magic can mean, a massive magical flare is about to be released on Atlanta. And who best but Kate Daniels to be in the middle of it? What starts as an investigation into a simple stolen magical artifact, turns into a literal witch hunt as Kate is dragged into a coven's misguided magic. With the flare drawing ever closer, Kate is in a race against time as an ancient evil threatens to reduce what remains of Atlanta to nothing more than rubble.

Kate is a kickass heroine. Raised to be a weapon, her tongue is as sharp as her sword. But this time she has a street kid named Julie tagging along, and we get to see another side to Kate. Now I won't say she has a soft side, but she certainly shows how protective she can be over an innocent. Helping Julie find her lost mom becomes Kate's goal as they search the streets of Atlanta for clues. It so happens the witch coven Julie's mother belonged to began messing with magic that should have been left alone. During a large flare of magic, just about anything can come into reality if there is enough belief behind it. Even Gods.

The world building in this series is astounding. Each book brings to light the twisted nature of the war between tech and magic. This time, Kate has to search through what used to be a trailer park. It has now been deemed the Honeycomb and not everyone who goes in comes back out. The trailers have warped and expanded, sometimes enveloping their once former inhabitants and banishing them to another realm. Those new to the area are advised to carry a ball of string with them, so if the trailer park swallows you there is at least a chance of finding you before you disappear forever. Then again even if you are found, chances are you will never be the same again.

Readers will also have a chance to see Curran and the pack once more, as they're dragged into the magical mess. It seems a certain thief keeps stealing their maps of the city, a thief with a vested interest in the missing witches. And if you're familiar with the Pack, then you know how furious Beast Lord Curran becomes when something is taken from him. Of course, it doesn't help with Kate constantly at war with him when it comes to snarky comebacks and attitude. Although at this point I think Kate amuses Curran with her ways, the same way a cat is amused by a mouse before it pounces.

Another great installment. Can't wait for the next! ( )
  Letora | Sep 15, 2019 |
5 stars

That's the second time I read this book and it is still as good as I remember it. I'm so impressed by the world Ilona Andrews created, frankly. So many things are going on at the same time that you sometimes feel light-headed and completely loss, but it's still a magnificent world and the whole thing is smartly thought and written.

Kate is as awesome as always even though she seems to think she has to carry the weight of the world on her shoulders. Curran doesn't appear that much in that book but I actually don't mind. There is enough going on and when he's here it's still nice to see the banter between Kate and him. It's like a light in the middle of the darkness.
Jim and Derek are always among my favourite characters and I had forgotten that Andrea would be present so early in the series so the sorta surprise was most welcomed. Just thinking about her makes me smile, and it's not even the book in which she reveals most of herself.
Julie... Well, I know what she will become (at least until the 6th book) and I'm really amazed by how much she'll change throughout the years and adventures she'll go through. Going back to the beginning, when she's introduced to us, was really interesting and I can't wait to keep on going with my second reading of the series.

Also, I like that the author(s?) remind us of how the entire world works. When I read the first 5 or 6 books in a row it used to bother me because I already knew all of it, but now that I'm reading again to catch up to where I left it off, I'm grateful because this world still is quite complex and some reminders are quite useful.

If you've already read the first book and have managed not to get completely lost and got smitten with it, you'll probably like that one even more! ( )
  AnaelleG | Jul 28, 2019 |
A lot packed into Raphael and Andrea's story, teaser for series? Determining why Cerberus is loose and how to return him home. Story mostly works, has some holes and jumps but that could because it's a novella ( )
  wyldheartreads | Jun 20, 2019 |
I love this series. Kate Daniels is a kick ass woman who stands her ground and always does what she believes is right. From standing up to the Beast Lord, to protecting a young girl, to gaining power words, Kate never backs down and is the epitome of a strong woman. ( )
  Michelle_Boyea | Jun 7, 2019 |

Ilona Andrewsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gordon, AndrewAuthor's real namemain authorall editionsconfirmed
Gordon, IlonaCo-author's real namemain authorall editionsconfirmed
del Rosario, KristinDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fiore, AnnetteCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ward,Chad MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the late David Gemmell. You have inspired me with your books. It was my dream to meet you, and I deeply regret your passing.
The phone rang in the middle of the night.

Kate goes up against Celtic gods, finds an orphan in need of protection, and fends off the Beast Lord -- all while trying to stay alive.
Down in Atlanta, tempers - and temperatures - are about to flare...As a mercenary who cleans up after magic gone wrong, Kate Daniels has seen her share of occupational hazards. Normally, waves of paranormal energy ebb and flow across Atlanta like a tide. But once every seven years, a flare comes, a time when magic runs rampant. Now Kate is going to have to deal with problems on a much bigger scale: a divine one.
When Kate sets out to retrieve a set of stolen maps for the Pack, Atlanta's paramilitary clan of shapeshifters, she quickly realizes much more is at stake. During a flare, gods and goddesses can manifest and battle for power. The stolen maps are only the opening gambit in an epic tug-of-war between two gods hoping for rebirth. And if Kate can't stop the cataclysmic showdown, the city may not survive.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,884,625 books! | Top bar: Always visible