Cry Wolf

by Patricia Briggs

Series: Alpha and Omega {Briggs} (1), World of the Marrok (5)

After years at the bottom of the pack, Anna has learned never to trust dominant males, until Charles Cornick, the enforcer and leader of the North American werewolves, declares her his mate, revealing her destiny as an Omega wolf.
    Hunting Ground by Patricia Briggs (Kerian)
    Moon Called by Patricia Briggs (leahsimone)
    Kitty and the Midnight Hour by Carrie Vaughn (amberwitch)
    Naked in Death by J. D. Robb (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: Yes, yes; one is an urban fantasy werewolf novel and the other a futurist police procedural/romance, but both of them have intensely character-driven protagonists whose relationships bind their series' together and evolve with each new book published.
    Through the Veil by Shiloh Walker (BookWhisperer)

English (143)  Piratical (1)  All languages (144)
I knew from having read other books in the series that certain things wouldn't happen. I loved learning more of Asil's history and it makes why he's such a curmudgeon more understandable. I still don't like Leah and probably never will. ( )
  audraelizabeth | Jun 8, 2021 |
Aug. 2017 Audio Listen: I have to say I really loved the Audio for Cry Wolf. The male narrator, Holter Graham, is wonderful to hear. I felt like it was the first time reading Cry Wolf. That is always the best when a book feels like the first time.

~ 4.5 Cry Wolf Stars ~

Cry Wolf is book one of the Alpha & Omega series by [a:Patricia Briggs|40563|Patricia Briggs|https://images.gr-assets.com/authors/1464488194p2/40563.jpg]. I recommend reading the novella [b:Alpha & Omega|5393637|Alpha & Omega (Alpha & Omega, #0.5)|Patricia Briggs|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1368147080s/5393637.jpg|5461162] before reading [b:Cry Wolf|2355575|Cry Wolf (Alpha & Omega, #1)|Patricia Briggs|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1310494063s/2355575.jpg|2362332], so you get a feel for the context and Anna & Charles's, relationship in this story.

I am a big fan of the Mercy Thompson Series by Ms. Briggs. I love her characters and the world she has created. Both Mercy Thompson and Alpha & Omega series over lap each other in their timelines. You meet some of the characters in MT and others in A&O. You don’t have to have read both series to enjoy them. It’s just nice as a fan to get that connection and timeline over lap.

Cry Wolf is a re-read for me.

We have an interesting plot that takes our characters deep into the Montana woods in order to solve the case of a rouge werewolf, but they find much more then just a rouge and things get intense. Life is never easy especially as a werewolf and when you add other supernatural creatures into the mix it gets chaotic. I love how the author describes her wolves. It’s not what we have come to expect.

Anna, was turned not by her choose into a werewolf. She has been used and abused by her pack in Chicago until Charles comes along to ad her. Seeing her character develop and learning what makes her tick was delightful. She is a rarity among werewolves and learning about this and the Omega traits are fascinating. Charles has never had a real love in his life, so he is new to the mating idea. He is also an interesting & unique character, in that he is different from his kind with an ability to spawn clothing and his Brother Wolf. As for Anna and Charles's relationship. The wolves are attracted to one another, but the human side takes it much slower. I liked how these two are taking it slowly and I look forward to seeing how the relationship develops throughout the series.

Cry Wolf was a fabulous start to the Alpha & Omega series. I am looking forward to re-reading this and all the other books by Patricia Briggs. If you have not picked up either series. I highly recommend you do.

angelsgp | May 14, 2021 |
A good bit of fun. ( )
  wetdryvac | Mar 2, 2021 |
I'd been hoping this book would be higher fantasy and heavier world-building for the omegaverse. I don't think i'll continue the series, but I am glad i gave it a chance. ( )
  Emma.June.Lyon | Feb 23, 2021 |
Well, I read this because of so many raving reviews from people I usually share a taste in books with. But, I have same issues than with the Mercy Thompson books. I did like this one better, but the whole werewolf pack thing really annoys me and also the fact that the heroine doesn't have any friends. In this book it made more sense, but still. I don't like romances where the hero is/will be the heroine's whole life, because she really had none before.

The writing was good and there was a plot, but I actually was more interested in the lives of Bran and Asil than the main couple. Maybe that's not such a good thing either... It was decent, but I don't think I will be continuing with this series. Too many urban fantasy tropes I have issues with. ( )
  RankkaApina | Feb 22, 2021 |

Patricia Briggsprimary authorall editionscalculated
DeFex, Annette FioreCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Del Rosario, KristinDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
dos Santos, DanielCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Amanda, fashionista, musician, and hairstyle artist. This one's for you.
No one knew better than Walter Rice that the only safe place was away from other people.

This book is related to the Mercy Thompson series, but will have Charles and Anna from the previous short story "Alpha and Omega" in the anthology On the Prowl.

Anna never knew werewolves existed, until the night she survived a violent attack... and became one herself. After three years at the bottom of the pack, she'd learned to keep her head down and never, ever trust dominant males. Then Charles Cornick, the enforcer—and son—of the leader of the North American werewolves, came into her life.

Charles insists that not only is Anna his mate, but she is also a rare and valued Omega wolf. And it is Anna's inner strength and calming presence that will prove invaluable as she and Charles go on the hunt in search of a rogue werewolf—a creature bound in magic so dark that it could threaten all of the pack.

It is recommended you read the prequel "Alpha & Omega" before reading Cry Wolf.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 159,236,172 books! | Top bar: Always visible