Naked in Death (1995)

by J. D. Robb

Series: In Death (1), Eve Dallas Series (1)

4,6542211,944 (3.93)1 / 430
Three young women have been brutally murdered. After 10 years on the New York City police force, Lieutenant Eve Dallas knows better than to become emotionally involved with her work. But the prime suspect is a suave, sophisticated Irish billionaire with a mysterious past and she finds herself powerless to resist his charm.… (more)
Recently added byprivate library, kingmob2, Laverna, Rennie8888, Arina8888
    Cry Wolf by Patricia Briggs (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: Yes, yes; one is an urban fantasy werewolf novel and the other a futurist police procedural/romance, but both of them have intensely character-driven protagonists whose relationships bind their series' together and evolve with each new book published.
    Timecaster by Joe Kimball (Scottneumann)
    Whiskey Sour by J.A. Konrath (Scottneumann)
    The Rule of Luck by Catherine Cerveny (Litrvixen)
    Her Last Goodbye by Melinda Leigh (Headinherbooks_27)

English (218)  Dutch (2)  All languages (220)
Intrepid, tough, detective Eve Dallas solves serial killings in a futuristic society and is seduced by a charming millionaire. ( )
  jennybeast | Apr 14, 2022 |
This book was absolutely addictive. Eve Dallas is assigned to investigate a brutal murder where an Irish billionaire is the suspect. The murder is super creepy and whoever did it is stalking her. Her prime suspect, Roarke, is also pursuing her in a different way. This had the feel of romantic suspense crossed with a standard police procedural. I really enjoyed it. It was a bit graphic in places, but easy to skip over those sections. I enjoyed the banter between the two main characters (the heat and chemistry between them really made the novel) and Eve was great. I loved the way the novel picked up in intensity towards the end. Will definitely read more!

Please excuse typos/name misspellings. Entered on screen reader.
  KatKinney | Mar 3, 2022 |
I was actually pretty surprised by this book, I really am not a romance fan and expected to hate the book but so many people recommended that I try it and wow it was a lot of romance and sex. I wouldn't say it was good SF but it was a decent mystery. ( )
  kevn57 | Dec 8, 2021 |
3.5 stars probably but really good star to a series I've been meaning to check out for a while.

I find this series to be very intimidating. I mean, there are 53 books to get through. That's more than a year of reading if you do one a week. However, now that I have read the first one, and it only took me two days, I really want to read book two.

I really enjoy mystery/thriller romances. I tend to like a bit more plot with my romance and this sub-genre definitely delivers on that front. I've never actually read anything by Nora Roberts before. I actually checked out one of her books from the library the summer after my freshman year of high school but my mom did not want to me to read it and hid it in our house until she could bring it back to the library. I didn't really grow up in a romance-friendly environment. I was very excited to finally read something by her and this was a great introduction for me.

I really liked the character of Eve. I like my female leads in romantic thrillers to be emotionally damaged and very competent and Eve fits that mold perfectly. Roarke is also a really great love interest. Definitely the mysterious and domineering type, so if that's not for you maybe stay away from this, but it's a character I really like in romance. This romance definitely felt a bit quick to me, mostly because most of this book is spent on the mystery, which I actually like but did mean the romance was crammed into less time. Like, all the sudden Roarke was like "I know I love you" and I was like "when did that happen?!?" There were also some times where character backstories, particularly Eve's, were delivered in ways that were comically transparent as just catching up the readers but generally I really liked how the characters were developed and presented.

The mystery is also very strong in this. I tend to give romantic thrillers more of a pass if the mystery doesn't quite add up compared to plain thrillers because I read it more to see the relationship and people being put in danger while they're falling in love but the mystery really does stand on it's own here. Well, at least it does to me, I'm pretty easy to please. The mystery handles some pretty hard hitting topics. There are moments where you can see this stories age a bit in the language or style but I thought it mostly held up. The mystery is also how we get a lot of the near future world building, which I found to be very interesting. It's clear Roberts put a lot of thought into the world, even though the details are mostly just in the background.

As soon as I finished this, I put book two on hold. I really like this and I'm very glad I finally tried this series. I don't know how quickly I'll get through the rest of this series, it's very long as we know, but I definitely will be continuing and hopefully I'll enjoy the next book two. ( )
  AKBouterse | Oct 14, 2021 |
I love the entire In Death series, but this one holds a special place since it is the first meeting of Eve and Roarke. Great introduction to a long running series. This is the third time I've read this book. ( )
  ftbooklover | Oct 12, 2021 |

What's past is prologue. --William Shakespeare

Violence is as American as cherry pie. --Rap (Hubert Gerold) Brown
She woke in the dark.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,285,415 books! | Top bar: Always visible