Naked in Death (1995)

by J. D. Robb

Series: In Death (1)

4,4082201,930 (3.94)1 / 415
Three young women have been brutally murdered. After 10 years on the New York City police force, Lieutenant Eve Dallas knows better than to become emotionally involved with her work. But the prime suspect is a suave, sophisticated Irish billionaire with a mysterious past and she finds herself powerless to resist his charm.… (more)
    Cry Wolf by Patricia Briggs (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: Yes, yes; one is an urban fantasy werewolf novel and the other a futurist police procedural/romance, but both of them have intensely character-driven protagonists whose relationships bind their series' together and evolve with each new book published.
    Timecaster by Joe Kimball (Scottneumann)
    Whiskey Sour by J. A. Konrath (Scottneumann)
    Her Last Goodbye by Melinda Leigh (Headinherbooks_27)

English (214)  Dutch (2)  All languages (216)
A co-worker recommended this series to me, so I got this first book from the library. I enjoy listening to mysteries but this one felt more like a romance to me, which isn't something I'm really into. The mystery part of it felt pretty boilerplate. Having said that, I'd probably listen to another one or two if I could get them from the library because it did make for decent entertainment while I was performing some of the more tedious tasks of my job. ( )
  jlweiss | Apr 23, 2021 |
Whew, I finally started this series after years of saying that I would someday. Of course, I have a whole lot of catching up to do since the series has 50 some odd books at this point. If all of the books in the series are as good as this one was, I have some wonderful reading ahead of me. I really had a great time with this book from beginning to end and found it to be a very quick listen.

I spend a lot of time reading reviews and talking about books so I have seen a lot of love for this series. I have seen a ton of reviewers talking about how much they love Roarke so I was pretty eager to get to know this character that inspired so much praise. After finishing the book, I have to admit that Roarke is pretty awesome and I am betting that he is only going to better as I get to know him over the course of the series. Eve is pretty awesome as well :)

I was pretty impressed by the mystery in this book. It was a lot more intense than I expected it to be which was a nice surprise. When a prostitute with important connections is murdered, Eve gets the case. The murder is brutal but Eve dives in and works to find who is responsible. Before she can get any traction in her investigation, things get even more complicated.

Susan Ericksen did a fantastic job with the narration of this book. I loved the voices that she used for the various characters and especially appreciated the accent that she used for Roarke. I thought that she was able to add a lot of emotion and excitement to the story. I wanted to listen to this book for hours at a time and believe that her narration added to my overall enjoyment of the story.

I would recommend this series to others. I liked the futuristic setting of this story and thought that the mystery was quite complex. Throw in some fantastic characters and you have a great start to the series. I cannot wait to listen to the next installment! ( )
  Carolesrandomlife | Apr 14, 2021 |
Naked in Death: Eve Dallas Mysteries (Book 1) is the first novel in a police procedural series that is set in 2058 according to the author’s website thought it is not actually specified in the book itself. AI is everywhere, there are flying cars, and more. Firearms, as we know them, are banned and those that remain are considered antiques and primarily in the possession of the wealthy people who collect them. Despite a technology driven future, there are still murders and a need for a police force.

As the book opens, Detective Eve Dallas awakens in her New York City apartment just a few hours after she killed a man. The fact that she ended his life does not haunt her at all. The fact she was unable to save the young child does. An issue she will need to hide as she goes through testing today so that she can go back to duty.

At least that was her plan before the Commander sent her to a homicide at Twenty-Seven West Broadway on the eighteenth floor. Testing, for now, is out the window, because she is needed on this case and it is a high priority. Not only is she to be the main detective on the case, she is only to report to the commander, and a tight lid is in place. Once on scene, she soon learns why all the secrecy and the restrictions.

It isn't every day the granddaughter of a U.S. Senator moves to New York and becomes a licensed companion (prostitute). Sharon DeBlass was that granddaughter and she is now very much dead in her bed. She was not stabbed or cut by a laser. Instead, she is a victim of three very strategically placed gunshots. Those gunshots and the gun used are very much a message sent by the killer to law enforcement and the public.

Her grandfather is Senator DeBlass of Virginia. He comes from old money and is a very vocal champion of extreme right-wing politics. Why she was murdered and who killed the 24-year-old woman are the most obvious questions for Lieutenant Dallas. Clearly, it was not a suicide. The fact that her wounds were inflicted by gunshot, in this case, a .38 made many years before the gun ban, could be a political statement of some sort. That fact as well as the fact that the killer reported the death himself by way of video call after posing the body means this is not the work of a random killer acting out of a rage moment. This was a deliberately planned and orchestrated event. Lieutenant Dallas and her partner for this case, Ryan Feeney, have a bad one on their hands.

It also will not be the last.

What follows is a complicated police procedural with a bit of romance that often becomes graphic. The story itself is highly entertaining despite the author's frequent pov head hops between the characters. In some paragraphs, two or more head hops happen in the same paragraph with a couple of sentences. That tends to be disconcerting to the reader as is the author’s technique of constantly shifting between third person and first throughout the read. One does tend to get used to it, after a while, but it does provide a distraction in otherwise entertaining story.

Naked in Death: Eve Dallas Mysteries (Book 1), overall, is a complicated and very entertaining police procedural. Graphic in terms of the murders in the book as well as intimate moments between characters, it is not for every reader. Having had the series recommended to me by Lesa Holstine in a comment on her Faithless In Death review, who also pointed out there are fifty more books, I have my reading work cut out for me. Challenge accepted.

The second book in the series, Glory In Death, is on the way in large print to my local library branch.

Naked in Death: Eve Dallas Mysteries (Book 1)
J. D. Robb
Putnam
1995
ISBN# 0399151575
Hardback (also available in audio, eBook, and paperback formats)
294 Pages

My read was an eBook version provided by Barry Ergang from his personal library after he saw my comment on Lesa Holstine’s recent review as noted above.

Kevin R. Tipple ©2021 ( )
  kevinrtipple | Mar 22, 2021 |
I needed a re-read for one of my book reading challenges and I couldn't think of a better book to choose. This is the start of Dallas & Roarke. Take their relationship, toss in a murder or two and you've got very engaging stories. The "In Death" series is too much fun to pass up. I look forward to every new release! ( )
  BookLove80 | Mar 12, 2021 |

What's past is prologue. --William Shakespeare

Violence is as American as cherry pie. --Rap (Hubert Gerold) Brown
She woke in the dark.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,862,332 books! | Top bar: Always visible