Halfway to the Grave

by Jeaniene Frost

Series: Night Huntress (1), Night Huntress Universe (1)

Half-vampire Catherine Crawfield pursues the undead with a vengeance in the hope that one of her prey will be the father who ruined her mother's life, but her plans go awry when she is captured by Bones, a vampire bounty hunter.

English (178)  Hungarian (1)  Swedish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (181)
This was alright. Pretty big focus on sex, sexual inneundo and romance though and I'm not sure it really added anything to the story. The 'I love you's' came out of nowhere and felt insincere, farfetched and unrealistic. Would have been a stronger story if they had just liked each other and dated and let the emotions grow. I didn't really feel like I connected to any of the characters, they all fell like of flat. I liked Bones but Cat was kind of boring. The story itself was average. There were some great lines that had me chuckling but overall lacks depth. Not sure if I'll pick up the next one. 2 stars. ( )
  funstm | Dec 1, 2022 |
I'd give this 3 1/2 stars and round up to 4. There were a few things that made it not quite an 'OMG, this is awesome' book. But there was a lot to like. It was a funny, dark little tale of romance that was so bittersweet. I definitely laughed and very nearly cried. I need to get the next book in the series to see how the adventures of Bones and Cat continue to unfold. ( )
  NickyM96 | Nov 21, 2022 |
Paranormal romance is one of my go-to genres when I want something light to read. This is book one in the Night Huntress series and it sure checked all the boxes for me. I got the romance I wanted and a good plot that contained enough drama to pull the story along. Already looking forward to book two. ( )
  purpledog | Oct 31, 2022 |
Dear god, the writing. I weep. WEEP. (To be fair, it is a first book. And the writing is not *bad*, it's just very first-book-ish. I wanted to groan and roll my eyes way more than the story deserved, as it's not the world's most original story, but it was nicely different from most of the similar books. ( )
  tanaise | Jul 17, 2022 |
I think this is a perfectly fine paranormal vampire-centered romance. It has an interesting plot, characters who clearly need to develop over time and do, and a high amount of kicking ass.

I can't decide if my somewhat meh attitude towards it is because I've outgrown this type of book, or because I prefer werewolves, or if I just didn't love it. There's a lot of violence and generally terrible behavior towards women. There's an over-the-top romance. There's a certain amount of slut shaming. Neither character is particularly likeable, but they do grow on you over time. So is it first in a series blues, or something else? Don't know, nor sure if I want to find out. ( )
  jennybeast | Apr 14, 2022 |
Jeaniene Frost takes Urban Fantasy head on and makes the genre her own with a winning blend of humor, sex, and real emotion that will leave readers eager for more.
added by cmwilson101 | editAmazon.com, Kathryn Smith

Jeaniene Frost is dynamite. Halfway to the Grave is dark, sexy, and supernatural, blended with a touch of humor. I dare you to disagree--Cat will have you staked in five seconds flat.
added by cmwilson101 | editAmazon.com, Cheyenne McCray

Take one half-human/half-vampire female with serious anger and parental issues, add in a sexy ancient vampire with his own agenda, and you have the makings for a truly combustible series. Sign me up for the sequel!
added by cmwilson101 | editRomantic Times

Jeaniene Frostprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gilbert, TaviaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my mother, who always believed in me, even when I didn't.
I stiffened at the red and blue lights flashing behind me, because there was no way I could explain what was in the back of my truck.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 179,996,263 books! | Top bar: Always visible