Touch the Dark

by Karen Chance

Series: Cassandra Palmer (1)

THE FIRST NOVEL IN THE NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLING CASSANDRA PALMER SERIES! Cassandra Palmer can see the future and communicate with spirits--talents that make her attractive to the dead and the undead. The ghosts of the dead aren't usually dangerous; they just like to talk...a lot. The undead are another matter. Like any sensible girl, Cassie tries to avoid vampires. But when the bloodsucking mafioso she escaped three years ago finds Cassie again with vengeance on his mind, she's forced to turn to the vampire Senate for protection. The undead senators won't help her for nothing, and Cassie finds herself working with one of their most powerful members, a dangerously seductive master vampire--and the price he demands may be more than Cassie is willing to pay....… (more)

English (75)  Italian (1)  Czech (1)  All languages (77)
This is just a wonderful first book to a series that has kept me coming back for almost a decade now. I never get tired of Cassie or the stories Karen Chance has to tell. This book series is not a quick ‘bite’ and you’ll be satisfied...you’ll want the whole enchilada for this one folks. And you are gonna be so happy when you realize there’s eight more after this (and if all goes well, more after that).
Includes: ghosts, vampires, clairvoyants, mages, demons, mythology
[the fun part is that each aspect is developed. I wouldn’t call this a strictly ‘vampire’ book - it’s so much better and so much more than that]
Genres: urban fantasy, humor, adventure, action, paranormal, mystery, romance
[the perfect genre blend you didn’t know you needed] ( )
  inkspellblu | Jul 1, 2019 |
I long ago lost track of how many times I’ve read these books. Touch the Dark is the doorway to an amazingly detailed and fantastic world of characters and chaos of which I’ve yet to see the equal.
Cassie is a wonderfully ‘real’ heroine with her personal flaws, insecurities and honest reactions. She is supported by a cast of characters so rich and vivid that any one of them could carry a series all of their own (...and I sincerely hope that they do!!) I love the emotional depth of the characters connections and Karen’s chaotic ‘warts and all’ approach to creating a wonderfully 3 dimensional read (4 if you count time travel!!) ( )
  Bethsinitaly | Apr 18, 2019 |
I’m re-reading this series...again (that’s how much I LOVE the Cassie Palmer and Dory Basarab series!) and wanted to finally post reviews of all the stories in the intertwining timeline.

In Touch the Dark we meet Cassie who is a clairvoyant. She has visions of future and past horrors while also being able to see/talk to ghosts. And as if that isn’t enough to deal with, she’s on the run from the vampire who raised her...after murdering her parents. Now the North American Vampire Senate needs her help and promises to protect her from the Silver (“good” mages) and Black (bad mages) Circles. Yeah, right.

I love Cassie because while the world isn’t real, she is. She has flaws, she’s not perfect. And while she does ok at protecting herself she’s not kicking major a$$. But she’s also smart. “Where my life was concerned, I’d learned long ago that everyone wanted to use me for something.”

What made me pick up the next book is the writing. Karen Chance is absolutely amazing. I also love the world. In this book you’ll meet satyrs, weres, witches, a pixy and war mages. And there are so many more throughout the series. Plus it’s almost non-stop action.

One of my favorite bits:
“I just stood there, not able to believe I was watching a pixie have a conversation with a shrunken head. I think that was about the time I gave up on logic and just decided to go with the flow. If I was lucky, someone had spiked my drink and I was hallucinating.” ( )
1 vote desertsunsets | Mar 31, 2019 |
Its been a few years since I wrote my last review. Let's try this again. Cassie Palmer works at a travel agency, but she isn't an ordinary human. She's clairvoyant and can see and communicate ghosts to start. She was raised in a vampire court and made enemies with the Master, Tony, who killed her parents. Her revenge was to collect his crimes and give the information to the FBI. Now he wants her dead and she's been in hiding for three years.

She's been found.

The supernatural world wants her for more than retribution, however. Cassie's life is about to get much much more complicated.

As the first book in the series there is (like always) a good bit of info dumping. Not only the world building kind, but Chance knows her history and will go on the occasional tangent. The story drags during them. On top of that, Cassie is one of the lowest powered people in every room. She doesn't have a lot of agency when surrounded by Master vampires. When she breaks free of their grasp, Cassie makes an impression. She may not be as powerful as most of the introduced characters, but she uses all of the weight she has and it works. She leaves everyone stunned by what she can accomplish.

Touch the Dark is an okay start to my all time favorite series. 3.5 stars.

----------------------------
Cons:
-lots of info dumping
-not very much action
-practically every vamp is historically famous or is well connected to one

Pros:
-the action when it happens is fun to read
-the writing is detailed, easy to picture, and easy to get lost in when not conscious of the info dumping

Skim some info dumping. Pay attention and look forward to the action. Have fun exploring a new world. ( )
  marcosburlybiceps | Mar 22, 2019 |
I think I read this before as it seemed really familiar, but I couldn't find it in my read list.
This story was interesting ( )
  StarKnits | Feb 6, 2019 |
I knew I was in trouble as soon as I saw the obituary.
When you can make someone believe you look like anything from Marilyn Monroe to Brad Pitt with merely a suggestion, makeup starts to look like a waste of money.
-- chapter 3

Obituary
Her name and tomorrow’s date
Kill her if you can
(Inkspellblu)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,664,666 books! | Top bar: Always visible