Guilty Pleasures (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter) (1993)

by Laurell K. Hamilton

Series: Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter (1)

7,887205813 (3.79)106
Vampire hunter Anita Blake must shift her attention from catching vampires to helping them when she is hired to stop a serial killer from murdering any more vampires.
    Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris (FFortuna)
    Storm Front by Jim Butcher (FFortuna, Vonini)
    Vonini: Also a paranormal consultant for the police. Good characterization, interesting plot and loads of paranormal shenanigans going on.
    A Kiss of Shadows by Laurell K. Hamilton (Maeghan)
    Blood Price by Tanya Huff (FFortuna)
    Wicked Game by Jeri Smith-Ready (FFortuna)
    Blood Bound by Patricia Briggs (pollywannabook)
    Of Saints and Shadows by Christopher Golden (Scottneumann)
    Rosemary and Rue by Seanan McGuire (Anonymous user)
    Magic Bites by Ilona Andrews (cmwilson101)
    cmwilson101: Both of these stories revolve around strong, independent, witty women battling supernatural creatures.
    Shadows in the Darkness by Elaine Cunningham (kiesa)
    Any Given Doomsday by Lori Handeland (SunnySD)
    Nightlife by Rob Thurman (Joybee)
    Joybee: Another dark, urban fantasy but with male main character. Just a hint of romance but lots of scary monsters.
    Arcane Solutions by Gayla Drummond (BJ3568)
    Dire Blood by SM Reine (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Both feature a strong female protagonist who is trained to kill supernatural creatures and who tries to solve a supernatural mystery. Both are gritty and horrific in their descriptions of events, but both are well written compelling stories that deepen as the books progress… (more)
    The Tomb by F. Paul Wilson (Scottneumann)
    The Dangerous Book for Demon Slayers by Angie Fox (asphyxiad0ll)
    Conspiracies by F. Paul Wilson (Scottneumann)

English (198)  French (3)  German (2)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  Czech (1)  All languages (206)
Vampires have civil rights and hire animator to find killer of vampires
  ritaer | Jun 12, 2021 |
Fabulous book. ( )
  BlueWillowDawn | May 23, 2021 |
This book was recommended to me several times by my sister-in-law over the last 15 or 20 years so I finally decided to read it.

It was a fast read, I'll say that. And kind of fun. It's not a scary supernatural vampire book, but not as amusing as, say, Betsy the Vampire Queen. It's not really my style of book and I really had my doubts when the wererats came into the picture. I mean, seriously, wererats?

And of course there's zombies and vampires and ghouls. All set in an alternate St. Louis reality with animators and vampire hunters being the norm around town.

Like I said, it was fun and I didn't take it too seriously. I don't know whether I'll read the next one or not. Time will tell. How much do I really want to know about the relationship between Jean-Claude and Anita? ( )
  Chica3000 | Dec 11, 2020 |
Book 1 in the Anita Blake urban fantasy series. Anita is an Animator--she can raise the dead. She works for a company that raises the dead for hire--to clarify contested wills, to give people closure. She also is a consultant for the St Louis police. And vampires have recently received some civil rights. Oh, and Anita is called The Executioner because she kills vampires.

This book centers around murders of powerful vampires. A thousand-year-old vampire want sot know who is killing them, or Anita will pay the ultimate price.

In the meantime, hot, sexy vampire Jean-Claude had designs on Anita. He has marked her twice, which means he can communicate with her. By the fourth mark, he'll have her under his control.

This was a fun read, fast moving. There are many books in the series. I've been told the quality goes down somewhere around book 12, but I'm willing to keep reading for now. I'm on to the next book. ( )
  jezebellydancer | Nov 3, 2020 |
Way better on audio than it was physically to read !!!!! Still not the best thing I have ever read, I heard that the books get better as they go on though so perhaps I'll try book 2 and see what happens. I disliked some of the humour and some of the characters a lot, and plot points were lacking. ( )
  ashezbookz | Oct 20, 2020 |

Hamilton, Laurell K.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Alexis, KimberlyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Gary W. Hamilton, who doesn't like scary things, but who read this book anyway.
To Gary W. Hamilton, my husband, who doesn't like scary things, but who read this book anyway.
Willie McCoy had been a jerk before he died. His being dead hadn't changed that.

"I DON'T DATE VAMPIRES. I KILL THEM."

My name is Anita Blake. Vampires call me The Executioner. What I call them isn't repeatable.

Ever since the Supreme Court granted the undead equal rights, most people think vampires are just ordinary folks with fangs. I know better. I've seen their victims. I carry the scars...

But now a serial killer is murdering vampires--and the most powerful bloodsucker in town wants me to find the killer...

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 158,976,163 books! | Top bar: Always visible