dismiss

Guilty Pleasures by Laurell K. Hamilton

Guilty Pleasures (1993)

by Laurell K. Hamilton

Series: Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter (1)

7,690198776 (3.79)106
Vampire hunter Anita Blake must shift her attention from catching vampires to helping them when she is hired to stop a serial killer from murdering any more vampires.
Recently added byrena40, hipney, AntoBr, Leila.Khouane, private library, scottyn73
    Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris (FFortuna)
    Storm Front by Jim Butcher (FFortuna)
    A Kiss of Shadows by Laurell K. Hamilton (Maeghan)
    Blood Price by Tanya Huff (FFortuna)
    Wicked Game by Jeri Smith-Ready (FFortuna)
    Blood Bound by Patricia Briggs (pollywannabook)
    Of Saints and Shadows by Christopher Golden (Scottneumann)
    Rosemary and Rue by Seanan McGuire (Anonymous user)
    Magic Bites by Ilona Andrews (cmwilson101)
    cmwilson101: Both of these stories revolve around strong, independent, witty women battling supernatural creatures.
    Shadows in the Darkness by Elaine Cunningham (kiesa)
    Any Given Doomsday by Lori Handeland (SunnySD)
    Nightlife by Rob Thurman (Joybee)
    Joybee: Another dark, urban fantasy but with male main character. Just a hint of romance but lots of scary monsters.
    Arcane Solutions by Gayla Drummond (BJ3568)
    Dire Blood by SM Reine (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Both feature a strong female protagonist who is trained to kill supernatural creatures and who tries to solve a supernatural mystery. Both are gritty and horrific in their descriptions of events, but both are well written compelling stories that deepen as the books progress… (more)
    The Tomb by F. Paul Wilson (Scottneumann)
    The Dangerous Book for Demon Slayers by Angie Fox (asphyxiad0ll)
    Conspiracies by F. Paul Wilson (Scottneumann)

English (190)  French (3)  German (2)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  Czech (1)  All languages (198)
The start of the series that I would read most of before becoming lost in the overwhelming need to have sex with anything and everything that crossed the main characters path. ( )
  Jennifer-Hettenbach | Apr 17, 2020 |
I find it interesting the highly contrasting reviews here. Those who have read the entire series and bemoan the loss of the strong protagonist found in the earlier books.

For me the early books were difficult to get through due to sloppy writing and/or editing, but I liked the premise and the series had been recommended by several people. I found the prudishness of the protagonist in the beginning super boring, however she does make a massive pendulum swing in later books, and it's somewhat tacky, especially with how it started. I do appreciate the author's intent on her character's growth, but it often feels disingenuous, and that keeps getting worse the further into the series I get. (I'm on book 8, I think.) I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with the character, but she does often feel underdeveloped, or overdeveloped perhaps. Not sure quite what it is.

However, that being said, the writing itself has gotten much better as the series has got on. As a writer myself I find it interesting to watch the author develop her skills. I wish I was brave enough to put myself out there like that! Though with how much money I've spent on her books, I wish she would hire a better editor. Seems like I'm constantly finding errors. ( )
  MorganDax | Jan 28, 2020 |
Pretty decent considering the premise. Not at all what I was thinking, but kept me hooked. Interesting characters were just sketched out enough to keep them from getting too boring. ( )
  AnnaHernandez | Oct 17, 2019 |
Listened to audio narrated by Kimberly Alexis. Anita is strong armed into helping solve who is murdering vampires. Anita is angry and is known as the Vampire Executioner. To save a friend she agrees to investigate the murders but faces danger from fellow vampire hunters and other vampires.
  wyldheartreads | Jun 20, 2019 |
Description: Anita Blake lives in St. Louis, Missouri in a world where magic, vampires, werewolves and the like are and have always been "out of the closet" and in some cases even legal. Anita is an "animator" with the ability to raise or inter zombies. She uses this ability in employ at "Animators Incorporated" where she raises the dead for various purposes including murder investigations, will explanations, and other legal services. Anita also works as a "vampire executioner," killing vampires by court order and advising the police on supernatural crimes.

This first book takes place in July when Anita is 24.

In Guilty Pleasures, Anita is blackmailed by Nikolaos, the vampire master of the city into investigating a series of vampire murders. During the course of this investigation, Anita begins her relationship with Jean-Claude, another master vampire and receives two of the four marks necessary to make her Jean-Claude's "human servant." Ultimately, Anita identifies the murderer but by that point has sufficiently antagonized Nikolaos and her underlings that she is forced to confront them. With help from Jean-Claude and Edward, a human associate who specializes in assassinating supernatural targets, Anita kills Nikolaos and many of her followers, making Jean-Claude master of the city.

Now, for long-time Anita Blake junkies and newfound fans, Guilty Pleasures makes its trade paperback debut. Readers will learn how Anita Blake started raising the dead-and killing the undead. And how she met Jean Claude, the master vampire destined to become not only her biggest nemesis, but her greatest lover...

Review: I usually don't like the first book in a series. I really enjoyed this one. Loved the characters and the plot.

CurlUpAndRead | Jun 10, 2019 |

Hamilton, Laurell K.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Alexis, KimberlyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Gary W. Hamilton, who doesn't like scary things, but who read this book anyway.
To Gary W. Hamilton, my husband, who doesn't like scary things, but who read this book anyway.
Willie McCoy had been a jerk before he died. His being dead hadn't changed that.

"I DON'T DATE VAMPIRES. I KILL THEM."

My name is Anita Blake. Vampires call me The Executioner. What I call them isn't repeatable.

Ever since the Supreme Court granted the undead equal rights, most people think vampires are just ordinary folks with fangs. I know better. I've seen their victims. I carry the scars...

But now a serial killer is murdering vampires--and the most powerful bloodsucker in town wants me to find the killer...

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,307,132 books! | Top bar: Always visible