Guilty Pleasures by Laurell K. Hamilton

Guilty Pleasures (1993)

by Laurell K. Hamilton

Series: Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter (1)

Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris (FFortuna)
    Storm Front by Jim Butcher (FFortuna)
    A Kiss of Shadows (Meredith Gentry, Book 1) by Laurell K. Hamilton (Maeghan)
    Blood Price: Victory Nelson Private Investigator: Otherworldly Crimes a Specialty (Victory Nelson) by Tanya Huff (FFortuna)
    Wicked Game by Jeri Smith-Ready (FFortuna)
    Blood Bound by Patricia Briggs (pollywannabook)
    Of Saints and Shadows by Christopher Golden (Scottneumann)
    Rosemary and Rue by Seanan McGuire (Anonymous user)
    Magic Bites by Ilona Andrews (cmwilson101)
    cmwilson101: Both of these stories revolve around strong, independent, witty women battling supernatural creatures.
    Shadows in the Darkness by Elaine Cunningham (kiesa)
    Any Given Doomsday by Lori Handeland (SunnySD)
    Nightlife by Rob Thurman (Joybee)
    Joybee: Another dark, urban fantasy but with male main character. Just a hint of romance but lots of scary monsters.
    Arcane Solutions by Gayla Drummond (BJ3568)
    Dire Blood by SM Reine (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Both feature a strong female protagonist who is trained to kill supernatural creatures and who tries to solve a supernatural mystery. Both are gritty and horrific in their descriptions of events, but both are well written compelling stories that deepen as the books progress… (more)
    The Tomb by F. Paul Wilson (Scottneumann)
    The Dangerous Book for Demon Slayers by Angie Fox (asphyxiad0ll)
    Conspiracies by F. Paul Wilson (Scottneumann)

English (179)  French (3)  German (2)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  Czech (1)  All (187)
First in the Anita Blake Vampire Hunter series. Anita is a full time animator, read zombie maker, and part time vampire hunter. She is coerced into investigating local vampire murders in St. Louis. She meets the local vampire leader who's over a thousand years old and as well as being very powerful is very sadistic. She befriends a "freak," in other stories would be called a vampire or vampire lover. She meets various vampires and freaks along the way. Helps to raise a zombie. Finds out that someone is practicing voodoo. Wererats, not werewolves but were rats. Sorry this review doesn't really tell much in regards to the plot but the series has lots of possibilities. Also lots of back story to be explored book kept eluding to her past. ( )
  ChrisWeir | Apr 22, 2018 |
I love this series. This is probably my fourth or fifth time re-reading this. It's been a few years since the last time and I had been itching to get back at it. Per usual, I loved every second of it. Anita Blake is freaking awesome, she's such a badass character. The intricate plot and amazing array of characters are also some of the things that keep me coming back or more. Vampirism is legalized in the United States and with that brings a whole slew of problems. Anita is on a retainer for police as their resident expert. Besides being a vampire slayer, she is also a full time animator, raising corpses from the dead for clients to settle wills and say goodbyes. At only, 24 she has quite the reputation. She's known as the executioner. Her newest case, a series of bloody murders around the vampire district is going to be challenging in more way than one. If she doesn't figure out who is wasting vampires, her best friend's life may be in danger. Wonderful from start to finish, I love Anita's sarcastic, cocky bravado. ( )
  ecataldi | Mar 7, 2018 |
Anita Blake is a detective/vampire hunter/animator (aka zombie-maker) who is blackmailed by a vampire master into investigating a series of murders in the vampire community. I had been under the impression that this was a paranormal romance, so I was pleasantly surprised to find out that there is more fighting than romance. I also liked the premise that all supernatural creatures are "out" in Anita Blake's world, even if it makes for a few unlikely scenarios. I thought Anita was a decent character - it's fun that she is full of talk and then actually kicks butt as well, but I would have liked some more backstory to actually get a sense of who she is. Also, if the vampires are so desperate to get her help with the murders, why do they keep interrupting her investigation (and kinda trying to kill her...)? I get that they have instinctual/animal drives, but that should mean that they're even better than humans at figuring out how to achieve their goals. Overall it was an entertaining read and if I trip over another installment I'll certainly pick it up, but I won't go looking. ( )
  -Eva- | Feb 28, 2018 |
3.5 ( )
  CressK | Feb 28, 2018 |
Aptly titled! ( )
  Teiresias1960 | Feb 24, 2018 |

Hamilton, Laurell K.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Alexis, KimberlyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Gary W. Hamilton, who doesn't like scary things, but who read this book anyway.
To Gary W. Hamilton, my husband, who doesn't like scary things, but who read this book anyway.
Willie McCoy had been a jerk before he died. His being dead hadn't changed that.

"I DON'T DATE VAMPIRES. I KILL THEM."

My name is Anita Blake. Vampires call me The Executioner. What I call them isn't repeatable.

Ever since the Supreme Court granted the undead equal rights, most people think vampires are just ordinary folks with fangs. I know better. I've seen their victims. I carry the scars...

But now a serial killer is murdering vampires--and the most powerful bloodsucker in town wants me to find the killer...

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 051513449X, Mass Market Paperback)

Anita Blake may be small and young, but vampires call her the Executioner. Anita is a necromancer and vampire hunter in a time when vampires are protected by law--as long as they don't get too nasty. Now someone's killing innocent vampires and Anita agrees--with a bit of vampiric arm-twisting--to help figure out who and why.

Trust is a luxury Anita can't afford when her allies aren't human. The city's most powerful vampire, Nikolaos, is 1,000 years old and looks like a 10-year-old girl. The second most powerful vampire, Jean-Claude, is interested in more than just Anita's professional talents, but the feisty necromancer isn't playing along--yet. This popular series has a wild energy and humor, and some very appealing characters--both dead and alive.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:59 -0400)

Vampire hunter Anita Blake must shift her attention from catching vampires to helping them when she is hired to stop a serial killer from murdering any more vampires.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,537,753 books! | Top bar: Always visible