Storm Front

by Jim Butcher

Series: The Dresden Files (1)

12,674550364 (3.78)2 / 731
A modern-day mage and consultant to the police finds his stale life suddenly enlivened by the presence of a rival in the black arts.
    Fool Moon by Jim Butcher (Siesser)
    Something from the Nightside by Simon R. Green (amberwitch, plutoempress, lookitisheef, DovSherman)
    amberwitch: A tough P.I. with a number of convenient talents making a living and trying to uncover the secrets of his own origin in the magical Nightside of London.
    plutoempress: similar style, though i (and this is my opinion) find john taylor funnier than harry dresden.
    lookitisheef: Jim Butcher and Simon R. Green both have created great supernatural male-lead detective series. I think they provide a nice balance to the girls-kick-butt series out there...don't get me wrong, I love the work of Kim Harrison and Laurell K. Hamilton (to name a couple), but it's nice to see that authors can create plausible male leads in the supernatural fiction world, too.… (more)
    Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch (majkia)
    majkia: both involve paranormal mystery and smart-ass dialog.
    Hounded by Kevin Hearne (clif_hiker, al.vick)
    Dead Witch Walking by Kim Harrison (cjacklen)
    cjacklen: A crime-fighting witch quits her job to become a PI. Faster pace and more addictive than than "Storm Front".
    Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman (Polenth)
    The Man With The Golden Torc by Simon R. Green (dmacmillan, Scottneumann)
    dmacmillan: Similar in tone to Butcher's Dresden Files but bigger in scope and with perhaps an even wilder storyline.
    Night Watch by Sergei Lukyanenko (FFortuna)
    Nightlife by Rob Thurman (gluestick)
    gluestick: Brothers Cal & Niko Leandros battle monsters while on the run from Auphe.Doesn't help that Cal is half Auphe.
    Libriomancer by Jim C. Hines (kqueue)
    kqueue: I found many similarities between Isaac Vainio and Harry Dresden. Both are cynical, powerful, heroes with a dark sense of humor, who are on the fringes of their official organization but are called in to save the day. Both books feature many mythical creatures, and have a good versus evil theme in a fast-paced adventure.… (more)
    Thicker Than Water (Felix Castor) by Mike Carey (BeckyJG)
    Fables, Vol. 01: Legends in Exile by Bill Willingham (FFortuna)
    The Devil You Know by Mike Carey (amberwitch, TheLibraryhag)
    amberwitch: Same noir feel, more interesting first person narrator. Lovely London descriptions.
    A Madness of Angels by Kate Griffin (amberwitch, questionablepotato, mysterymax)
    mysterymax: Anyone who enjoys the Dresden File series would, I think enjoy the Matthew Swift books.
    John Constantine, Hellblazer: Dangerous Habits by Garth Ennis (Cynara)
    Cynara: I think Harry Dresden may be a distant, nicer relation of Hellblazer's John Constantine.
    The Tomb by F. Paul Wilson (Scottneumann)
    Monster by A. Lee Martinez (smammers)
    smammers: If you enjoy urban fantasy with a healthy dose of sarcastic humor thrown in, you'll love these books!
    Dead Eye: Pennies for the Ferryman by Jim Bernheimer (enrique_molinero, gluestick)
    gluestick: Lone wolf hero.After coming back from Iraq and getting a donor eye he starts seeing ghosts. Next best thing while waiting for the newest Dresden files book.
    Unshapely Things by Mark Del Franco (MyriadBooks)
    Sweet Silver Blues by Glen Cook (MyriadBooks)

English (541)  Swedish (2)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All languages (546)
4.5 stars.

I would entitle the review "How Urban Fantasy should be written".
After reading this, I realized that this genre has been ruined by many stereotypes and the border between UF and Romance and other s**t isn't so clear.
I think that after I've read some UF series, I came up with the idea that they are all almost identical: the badass female protagonist (always first person POV) that alternates moments like "I'll kick your ass, you damn bastard" with others like "I go to the toilet, I put make up on my face thinking of that cool guy, I whine because I can't/...paranoic thoughts following". The cool and über-smartass alpha-and-so-on guy who inspires forbidden fantasies. The bad guy who always wants to kill the protagonist, because figured out she is special, however. The writing is a continuous sequence of "damn", "fuck", "dude" and monosyllabic sentences. I found all this so irritating. But the main critic I point to this genre is the lack of explanations. Without them, plot doesn't make sense and characters lose credibility.

After this previous "fed-up" moment, let's talk about this book.
1. I liked the writing.
2. I kind of loved Harry Dresden. He's a credible hero who isn't perfect but he's cool at the same time. He makes mistakes, he's stubborn as hell and wit.
*please Mr. Dresden, run your office also in Italy!!*
3. I loved Bob, even if he appeared only a few times. I hope we can see more Bob in the sequels.
4. Even if she's stubborn as hell and bitchy, I liked also Murphy because she is well depicted.
5. The plot: the reader is focused on following the detective story without any kind of s**t. Yes, there are vampires and fairies, but they are just pieces of the puzzle and their "personalities" are tricky and evil. ahem...they are not sex gods *giving a nasty look at Jeaniene Frost, KM Moning, maybe Ilona Andrews*

What I disliked:
- some absurd moments that left me a bit stunned, but I managed to pass over.

Eventually I really liked this first volume and I recommend it everyone.

Sara_Lucario | Oct 19, 2021 |
This was another one of my series-sampling audio listens, to see if I might want to pursue it in print someday.

Audio Narration
The narrator is James Marsters, the actor who played Spike in the Buffy TV series. I really liked the way he read this. It was very understated and soft, which is the narration style I tend to do best with, with hints of sarcasm where appropriate. I can’t think of anything to complain about. He voiced different characters well and never annoyed me. The main character had a tendency to feel sorry for himself a lot, but I think the way it was read helped underplay that, possibly making it less annoying in audio than it might have been in print.

Story
This is the start of a very long urban fantasy series. The main character, Harry Dresden, is a wizard who (barely) pays the bills by working as a detective, with a specialty in helping people find lost things. The local police also consult with him whenever a crime appears to have been caused by magic. He soon gets caught up in a murder investigation, while also trying to solve a case where a wife has hired him to find her missing husband.

For some reason detective stories have never done much for me, and I’m also pretty iffy on Urban Fantasy. I didn’t love this book, but I did enjoy it more than I expected. Harry is a fairly typical “down and out” type detective character, struggling to make ends meet, prone to making bad decisions, and frequently misunderstood. He at least isn’t an alcohol or tobacco addict like these types of characters often are, and his good intentions and his slightly bumbling personality made him more likeable than he might have been otherwise. His tendency to have the hots for anything female-ish in the vicinity did get tiresome, though.

The story held my attention moderately well. I think this might be a case where the audio worked better for me than the print version, because it’s a pretty simple story. Simple usually works better for me in audio, but it can sometimes bore me in print. This is a story where you more or less know the outcome from the beginning, because obviously the two “separate” plot threads are going to tie together by the end, and I thought it was fairly obvious what the connection would be. Tying the two threads together was done in a way that made good sense though, and didn’t feel overly random and coincidental once everything was explained, so I was happy about that.

I’m going to rate this at 3.5 stars and round up to 4 on Goodreads. It’s a “probably” for revisiting in the future, although I’m not sure this setting can sustain my interest for the full length of this ongoing series. ( )
  YouKneeK | Oct 7, 2021 |
Decent start to a mystery/fantasy hybrid series. I'm sure I'll get around to reading more. ( )
  usuallee | Oct 7, 2021 |
Meet Harry Dresden-Wizard extraordinaire, Paranormal PI and all around nice guy. I liked Harry, but I did not fall in love with him. *Sigh* I wanted to.

This is a first book in a series, taking place in Chicago. Harry works as a "For Hire Gumshoe" and a consultant for the Chicago PD. In this first case of the series, there is Black Magic stewing in the city and Harry means to find the source and stop it.

Urban Fantasy is not my favorite genre, but this one called to me. It was fun, but in places Butcher got way too wordy for me. When that happens The stars I give start getting knocked down. I plan to continue the series, I just won't be jumping on it right away. It was good for me Harry, just not great. ( )
  JBroda | Sep 24, 2021 |
I read this over the weekend expecting a quick, pulp fiction read; surprisingly it was not. I found it to be a very good mystery book with a gritty protagonist who just happens to be a very powerful (if somewhat rebellious) wizard. Of course, there were a few sardonic situations that were darkly humorous, but that really did add to the developing tension in the story. In addition, the system of magic used was very well developed and would be at home in any occult thriller ... In fact, I frequently found myself nodding at some descriptive line of text thinking that it made perfect sense. On the down-side ... I pretty much figured out the who-done-it early on (there were too few characters to choose from really), but there were enough surprises after that to keep it interesting. I am looking forward to the next book in the series ... ( )
  Kris.Larson | Sep 13, 2021 |
Storm Front's premise is pretty slim.. But Butcher makes it work, through a combination of interesting characters, tight plotting, and fresh, breezy writing. This is definitely not deep reading, but it is a whole lot of fun.
added by Shortride | editSF Site, Victoria Strauss (Aug 1, 2000)

Butcher, Jimprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Langowski, JürgenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Marsters, JamesNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McGrath, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Debbie Chester, who taught me everything I really needed to know about writing. And for my father, who taught me everything I really needed to know about living. I miss you dad.
I heard the mailman approach my office door, half an hour earlier than usual.
Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face.
"An actual wizard?" he asked, grinning, as though I should let him in on the joke. "Spells and potions? Demons and incantations? Subtle and quick to anger?"
"Not so subtle."
I realized he'd been giving me CPR. Eww.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,250,770 books! | Top bar: Always visible