Storm Front

by Jim Butcher

Series: The Dresden Files (1)

13,481583368 (3.77)2 / 741
A modern-day mage and consultant to the police finds his stale life suddenly enlivened by the presence of a rival in the black arts.
    Fool Moon by Jim Butcher (Siesser)
    Something from the Nightside by Simon R. Green (amberwitch, plutoempress, lookitisheef, DovSherman)
    amberwitch: A tough P.I. with a number of convenient talents making a living and trying to uncover the secrets of his own origin in the magical Nightside of London.
    plutoempress: similar style, though i (and this is my opinion) find john taylor funnier than harry dresden.
    lookitisheef: Jim Butcher and Simon R. Green both have created great supernatural male-lead detective series. I think they provide a nice balance to the girls-kick-butt series out there...don't get me wrong, I love the work of Kim Harrison and Laurell K. Hamilton (to name a couple), but it's nice to see that authors can create plausible male leads in the supernatural fiction world, too.… (more)
    Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch (majkia)
    majkia: both involve paranormal mystery and smart-ass dialog.
    Hounded by Kevin Hearne (clif_hiker, al.vick)
    Dead Witch Walking by Kim Harrison (cjacklen)
    cjacklen: A crime-fighting witch quits her job to become a PI. Faster pace and more addictive than than "Storm Front".
    Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman (Polenth)
    The Man With The Golden Torc by Simon R. Green (dmacmillan, Scottneumann)
    dmacmillan: Similar in tone to Butcher's Dresden Files but bigger in scope and with perhaps an even wilder storyline.
    Night Watch by Sergei Lukyanenko (FFortuna)
    Nightlife by Rob Thurman (gluestick)
    gluestick: Brothers Cal & Niko Leandros battle monsters while on the run from Auphe.Doesn't help that Cal is half Auphe.
    Libriomancer by Jim C. Hines (kqueue)
    kqueue: I found many similarities between Isaac Vainio and Harry Dresden. Both are cynical, powerful, heroes with a dark sense of humor, who are on the fringes of their official organization but are called in to save the day. Both books feature many mythical creatures, and have a good versus evil theme in a fast-paced adventure.… (more)
    Thicker Than Water by Mike Carey (BeckyJG)
    Fables, Vol. 01: Legends in Exile by Bill Willingham (FFortuna)
    The Devil You Know by Mike Carey (amberwitch, TheLibraryhag)
    amberwitch: Same noir feel, more interesting first person narrator. Lovely London descriptions.
    A Madness of Angels by Kate Griffin (amberwitch, questionablepotato, mysterymax)
    mysterymax: Anyone who enjoys the Dresden File series would, I think enjoy the Matthew Swift books.
    John Constantine, Hellblazer: Dangerous Habits by Garth Ennis (Cynara)
    Cynara: I think Harry Dresden may be a distant, nicer relation of Hellblazer's John Constantine.
    The Tomb by F. Paul Wilson (Scottneumann)
    Monster by A. Lee Martinez (smammers)
    smammers: If you enjoy urban fantasy with a healthy dose of sarcastic humor thrown in, you'll love these books!
    Dead Eye: Pennies for the Ferryman by Jim Bernheimer (enrique_molinero, gluestick)
    gluestick: Lone wolf hero.After coming back from Iraq and getting a donor eye he starts seeing ghosts. Next best thing while waiting for the newest Dresden files book.
    Unshapely Things by Mark Del Franco (MyriadBooks)
    Sweet Silver Blues by Glen Cook (MyriadBooks)

Group TopicMessagesLast Message
 World Reading Circle: Storm Front, Jim Butcher5 unread / 5Rhondavu, June 2018
 Jim Butcher: Storm Front10 unread / 10Caspettee, June 2011

English (566)  Swedish (2)  German (2)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (573)
My first real audiobook listen, one that wasn't a full cast performance, and I have the sneaking suspicion that I'm going to always think of Harry Dresden as sounding like James Marsters now. That's not a bad thing! I was pleasantly surprised at how good he was at it. And I do want to read (or listen to) more of them! The Dresden Files are a series of books I've had on my radar for SO long. I added it here in 2014, but I'm sure it's been longer than that. There's just so very many books to read! and I own about 12,000 books (according to my calibre software). So...it was on the list. All my books are 'one day, one day' in a vague way. But when deciding to try out audible (I can't concentrate on books when they're read to me, usually) I looked for books I wanted to read, read by voices I liked, and here we are!
The story is quite fun, a bit of a Rivers of London vibe (which I realise came after this, but I've *met* Ben Aaronovitch and used to enjoy his Doctor Who books as a young'un, so he jumped up the tbr pile). Harry Dresden, wizard, works with the police to help them solve magical crimes. That's all I needed to know, really, and now, all I need to know I'd like to read more. I'm not sure I *hugely* like him - he's a bit of a letch, and does every woman have to have her physical attributes described quite so much? - but he's also a bit rubbish and gets in trouble at every turn. He thinks he's a bit of a charmer - or maybe that's just how ol' Spike-from-Buffy read him, there were similarities between those two characters for sure - but it was exciting and action packed and I think made sense in the end, although I do admit all the women mostly merged together in my mind a little and I couldn't really remember which one was which, aside from the police chief he works with, who I liked. I've been watching a fair amount of film noir recently, and Harry...well, he clearly has too. But why not? Private dick, with magic. Hopefully the annoying bits will clear up as the books progress, I look forward to finding out more. ( )
  clairefun | Oct 27, 2022 |
Really enjoy this series; fun, smart-ass kind of writing; book noir with a side of fantasy - elves, demons and the like ( )
  lkubed | Oct 8, 2022 |
Harry Dresden is asked by the Chicago Police Department to aid in their investigation of a murder of a couple who were obviously killed with magic. At the same time he's juggling a private inquiry from a woman who wants assistance in finding her missing husband. Harry must also deal with his watchdog from the White Council who is just waiting for Harry to break the rules so that he can execute Harry.

Early into my relationship with my husband, I used my librarian skills to recommend the Dresden Files series to him as something he'd like (without having read them myself). They were a huge hit and he's read/ear-read them more times than I can count. When we had a long road trip ahead, he decided it was time for me to listen to the first book for myself and it was a good time. James Marsters reads the novel and his narration definitely amplified my enjoyment. Butcher's urban fantasy meets noir-ish mystery is a good time and I'll definitely be exploring the rest of the series. ( )
  MickyFine | Sep 29, 2022 |
Harry Dresden ist ein mächtiger Magier, denn schon nach wenigen Seiten stand ich seinem Bann. In der Welt der Quasiphysik und des Quasilateins ist er um keine Verlegenheit verlegen und tänzelt kühn auf der Strasse zwischen altmodischen Detektivromanen und Fantasy. Harry's Galgenhumor macht es sehr erträglich, ihm beim Leiden zuzusehen. Ich hätte mir allerdings ein paar Puzzleteile mehr gewünscht, um etwas länger nach dem Mörder suchen zu können. Deshalb kriegt Harry hier von mir 4.5 Sterne, die ich gerne aufrunde, ist ja schliesslich Weihnachten.
  Jadelina | Aug 20, 2022 |
I suppose I'm disappointed. This series was hyped up to me by friends as innovative and clever. I got three or four chapters in and I found it a chore to open up and keep reading.

I got tired of the author- sorry, protagonist, telling me what a nice guy he is, how he likes to hold doors open for women, (the multiple references to her gymnast's body, a cheerleader's body, the body of a woman who does martial arts...), how old fashioned he is and that's a crime these days, how he's definitely professional and would never look down a woman's shirt, (but also totally stole a glance).

Or how the author kept telling me how gruff and "you don't want to mess with me" the protagonist is. 'Oh no, i didn't want to go on a date with this woman because I'm so cursed but somehow she roped me into it.' I could have made looking the protagonist in the eyes a drinking game for the sheer number of times it was mentioned!

The writer's style didn't show me Dresden's hard boiled noir detective, he just kept telling me over and over that he definitely, certainly is one. At first it was an annoyance, then a slog, and as the plot hooks got into gear I lost interest. ( )
  ginkgoleif | Aug 19, 2022 |
Storm Front's premise is pretty slim.. But Butcher makes it work, through a combination of interesting characters, tight plotting, and fresh, breezy writing. This is definitely not deep reading, but it is a whole lot of fun.
added by Shortride | editSF Site, Victoria Strauss (Aug 1, 2000)

Butcher, Jimprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Langowski, JürgenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Marsters, JamesNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McGrath, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Debbie Chester, who taught me everything I really needed to know about writing. And for my father, who taught me everything I really needed to know about living. I miss you dad.
I heard the mailman approach my office door, half an hour earlier than usual.
Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face.
"An actual wizard?" he asked, grinning, as though I should let him in on the joke. "Spells and potions? Demons and incantations? Subtle and quick to anger?"
"Not so subtle."
I realized he'd been giving me CPR. Eww.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,215,327 books! | Top bar: Always visible