dismiss

Storm Front

by Jim Butcher

Series: The Dresden Files (1)

11,804512367 (3.79)2 / 704
A modern-day mage and consultant to the police finds his stale life suddenly enlivened by the presence of a rival in the black arts.
    Fool Moon by Jim Butcher (Siesser)
    Something from the Nightside by Simon R. Green (amberwitch, plutoempress, lookitisheef, DovSherman)
    amberwitch: A tough P.I. with a number of convenient talents making a living and trying to uncover the secrets of his own origin in the magical Nightside of London.
    plutoempress: similar style, though i (and this is my opinion) find john taylor funnier than harry dresden.
    lookitisheef: Jim Butcher and Simon R. Green both have created great supernatural male-lead detective series. I think they provide a nice balance to the girls-kick-butt series out there...don't get me wrong, I love the work of Kim Harrison and Laurell K. Hamilton (to name a couple), but it's nice to see that authors can create plausible male leads in the supernatural fiction world, too.… (more)
    Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch (majkia)
    majkia: both involve paranormal mystery and smart-ass dialog.
    Hounded by Kevin Hearne (clif_hiker, al.vick)
    Dead Witch Walking by Kim Harrison (cjacklen)
    cjacklen: A crime-fighting witch quits her job to become a PI. Faster pace and more addictive than than "Storm Front".
    Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman (Polenth)
    Night Watch by Sergei Lukyanenko (FFortuna)
    The Man With The Golden Torc by Simon R. Green (dmacmillan, Scottneumann)
    dmacmillan: Similar in tone to Butcher's Dresden Files but bigger in scope and with perhaps an even wilder storyline.
    Libriomancer by Jim C. Hines (kqueue)
    kqueue: I found many similarities between Isaac Vainio and Harry Dresden. Both are cynical, powerful, heroes with a dark sense of humor, who are on the fringes of their official organization but are called in to save the day. Both books feature many mythical creatures, and have a good versus evil theme in a fast-paced adventure.… (more)
    Thicker Than Water (Felix Castor) by Mike Carey (BeckyJG)
    Nightlife by Rob Thurman (gluestick)
    gluestick: Brothers Cal & Niko Leandros battle monsters while on the run from Auphe.Doesn't help that Cal is half Auphe.
    Fables, Vol. 1: Legends in Exile by Bill Willingham (FFortuna)
    Magic Bites by Ilona Andrews (Strict31)
    Strict31: Lotta "urban fantasy" books out there. So many that simply stick to a formula. I was jonesin' hard for some Dresden when I stumbled across the Kate Daniels series. Like Dresden, it's a rare gem among a drawer filled with common stones. Kate doesn't spend her time on her back or pining for super-handsome creatures of the night. And she's not just an action surrogate for a male hero. There is action and there is romance. But it all fits. The series was not created to serve the needs of a genre, but rather, the needs of the character. It's a different type of storyline than Dresden, because the world has been irrevocably changed by the existence of magic. But a lot of the things I go to Dresden to get are also found here.… (more)
    The Devil You Know by Mike Carey (amberwitch, TheLibraryhag)
    amberwitch: Same noir feel, more interesting first person narrator. Lovely London descriptions.
    A Madness of Angels: Or, the Resurrection of Matthew Swift by Kate Griffin (amberwitch, questionablepotato, mysterymax)
    mysterymax: Anyone who enjoys the Dresden File series would, I think enjoy the Matthew Swift books.
    The Tomb by F. Paul Wilson (Scottneumann)
    Sweet Silver Blues by Glen Cook (MyriadBooks)
    John Constantine, Hellblazer: Dangerous Habits by Garth Ennis (Cynara)
    Cynara: I think Harry Dresden may be a distant, nicer relation of Hellblazer's John Constantine.
    Monster by A. Lee Martinez (smammers)
    smammers: If you enjoy urban fantasy with a healthy dose of sarcastic humor thrown in, you'll love these books!
    Unshapely Things by Mark Del Franco (MyriadBooks)

English (503)  Swedish (2)  German (2)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (509)
I knew for a long time I wanted to start this series.My nephew loaned me this book and I really enjoyed it.
Jim Butcher is very good with his character creation of Harry Dresden,P.I.and Wizard.
Dresden is really casual and seems to stand up to most anybody,but he is fallible.
He does have a sense of humor,although it is a dry one.
I know I'm going to keep reading the series. ( )
  chalton | Jul 14, 2020 |
Harry Dresden is a wizard trying to make a living by “do no harm”. But he runs afoul of human law and magic law and is forced to find the true black wizard and solve the murders.

Fantasy and magic combine with murder and mystery to provide a fast-paced whodunit. The story was a little slow to get started, to introduce the variety of characters and introduce the victim(s), then it picked up speed and finished with a resounding clap. I plan to read more of the series ( )
  Bettesbooks | Jul 4, 2020 |
So I have been told by many friends that if I love the Mercy Thompson and Kate Daniels series that I would have the Dresden Files series by Jim Butcher. Since the amount of books I am reading feels like it is never ending I was reluctant to start a new series. Last week I finally bit the bullet and bought the first book in the Dresden Files, Storm Front.

This book was insanely good. And I don't just mean good. I mean everything fired on all cylinders.

The world building that Jim Butcher does in this first novel just works. Having this be an alternate to Chicago where wizards can put out a shingle advertising their services just seems plausible. I also like how Mr. Butcher takes the time out to describe how things feel, what they smell like to Harry, and he does not just give a general description of areas. I felt like I could truly walk around Chicago and see the same things that Harry does. I would say that for some readers they may feel at times things get too be drowned a bit in way too much detail but since this is the first novel in the series and for fantasy books you need to set up some world building that I rather have too much detail than not enough.

I also got a great handle on all of the characters in this book like Karrin Murphy (Lieutenant of Special Investigations) and Dresden's cat and also fell sort of in love with the Harry Dresden.

I promptly bought the next two book in this series. I highly recommend! ( )
  ObsidianBlue | Jul 1, 2020 |
Not terrible, but the whole thing fell pretty flat for me. ( )
1 vote natcontrary | Jun 22, 2020 |
This is a mostly decent modern-day fantasy story, apparently the first in a series, and apparently the basis for a Sci-Fi channel show, following an emo wizard dealing with someone who's committing horrible magical murders and a missing husband. (It really isn't a spoiler to say that the two mysteries are related -- if you don't see that coming, you haven't read many books.)

Harry Dresden, our hero, is a classic detective hero, down on his luck, behind on his rent, and having no success with the ladies. What I think Butcher misses from the hard-luck-detective novelists he's emulating is that the most compelling of those protagonists have character flaws. Dresden, by contrast, is an upstanding guy who refuses to do the expedient (and lucrative) thing because of some vague sense of loyalty or morality. He's good to women, great to his (rescued) cat, and completely competent at his job. There's never any doubt that he might be involved in the evil dealings he's suspected of -- the only tension comes from how he'll wiggle out of them.

Butcher does have a talent for weaving in little bits of his world while walking the fine line between over- and under-explanation. We get a good sense of Dresden's past, the council of wizards that regulates magic use, the existence of and rules for faeries and vampires, and so forth, while at the same time leaving enough out to almost compel me to continue reading the series. Because I can probably get the books on abebooks for $0.01 plus shipping, maybe I will, in fact, read them. ( )
  wearyhobo | Jun 22, 2020 |
Storm Front's premise is pretty slim.. But Butcher makes it work, through a combination of interesting characters, tight plotting, and fresh, breezy writing. This is definitely not deep reading, but it is a whole lot of fun.
added by Shortride | editSF Site, Victoria Strauss (Aug 1, 2000)

Butcher, Jimprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Langowski, JürgenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Marsters, JamesNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McGrath, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Debbie Chester, who taught me everything I really needed to know about writing. And for my father, who taught me everything I really needed to know about living. I miss you dad.
I heard the mailman approach my office door, half an hour earlier than usual.
Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face.
"An actual wizard?" he asked, grinning, as though I should let him in on the joke. "Spells and potions? Demons and incantations? Subtle and quick to anger?"
"Not so subtle."
I realized he'd been giving me CPR. Eww.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,121,696 books! | Top bar: Always visible