Storm Front by Jim Butcher

Storm Front

by Jim Butcher

Series: The Dresden Files (1)

10,749461376 (3.8)2 / 637
    Fool Moon by Jim Butcher (Siesser)
    Something from the Nightside by Simon R. Green (amberwitch, plutoempress, lookitisheef, DovSherman)
    amberwitch: A tough P.I. with a number of convenient talents making a living and trying to uncover the secrets of his own origin in the magical Nightside of London.
    plutoempress: similar style, though i (and this is my opinion) find john taylor funnier than harry dresden.
    lookitisheef: Jim Butcher and Simon R. Green both have created great supernatural male-lead detective series. I think they provide a nice balance to the girls-kick-butt series out there...don't get me wrong, I love the work of Kim Harrison and Laurell K. Hamilton (to name a couple), but it's nice to see that authors can create plausible male leads in the supernatural fiction world, too.… (more)
    Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch (majkia)
    majkia: both involve paranormal mystery and smart-ass dialog.
    Hounded by Kevin Hearne (clif_hiker, al.vick)
    Dead Witch Walking by Kim Harrison (cjacklen)
    cjacklen: A crime-fighting witch quits her job to become a PI. Faster pace and more addictive than than "Storm Front".
    Night Watch by Sergei Lukyanenko (FFortuna)
    Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman (Polenth)
    The Man With The Golden Torc by Simon R. Green (dmacmillan, Scottneumann)
    dmacmillan: Similar in tone to Butcher's Dresden Files but bigger in scope and with perhaps an even wilder storyline.
    Thicker Than Water (Felix Castor) by Mike Carey (BeckyJG)
    The Devil You Know by Mike Carey (amberwitch, TheLibraryhag)
    amberwitch: Same noir feel, more interesting first person narrator. Lovely London descriptions.
    Libriomancer by Jim C. Hines (kqueue)
    kqueue: I found many similarities between Isaac Vainio and Harry Dresden. Both are cynical, powerful, heroes with a dark sense of humor, who are on the fringes of their official organization but are called in to save the day. Both books feature many mythical creatures, and have a good versus evil theme in a fast-paced adventure.… (more)
    Nightlife by Rob Thurman (gluestick)
    gluestick: Brothers Cal & Niko Leandros battle monsters while on the run from Auphe.Doesn't help that Cal is half Auphe.
    Magic Bites by Ilona Andrews (Strict31)
    Strict31: Lotta "urban fantasy" books out there. So many that simply stick to a formula. I was jonesin' hard for some Dresden when I stumbled across the Kate Daniels series. Like Dresden, it's a rare gem among a drawer filled with common stones. Kate doesn't spend her time on her back or pining for super-handsome creatures of the night. And she's not just an action surrogate for a male hero. There is action and there is romance. But it all fits. The series was not created to serve the needs of a genre, but rather, the needs of the character. It's a different type of storyline than Dresden, because the world has been irrevocably changed by the existence of magic. But a lot of the things I go to Dresden to get are also found here.… (more)
    Fables, Vol. 1: Legends in Exile by Bill Willingham (FFortuna)
    The Tomb by F. Paul Wilson (Scottneumann)
    A Madness of Angels: Or, the Resurrection of Matthew Swift by Kate Griffin (amberwitch, questionablepotato, mysterymax)
    mysterymax: Anyone who enjoys the Dresden File series would, I think enjoy the Matthew Swift books.
    Unshapely Things by Mark Del Franco (MyriadBooks)
    Monster by A. Lee Martinez (smammers)
    smammers: If you enjoy urban fantasy with a healthy dose of sarcastic humor thrown in, you'll love these books!
    Sweet Silver Blues by Glen Cook (MyriadBooks)
    Dead Eye: Pennies for the Ferryman by Jim Bernheimer (enrique_molinero, gluestick)
    gluestick: Lone wolf hero.After coming back from Iraq and getting a donor eye he starts seeing ghosts. Next best thing while waiting for the newest Dresden files book.

English (454)  Swedish (2)  German (2)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (460)
You know, there's a lot to Storm Front that I've seen before. There's a paranormal investigator. His personal case SHOCKINGLY runs into the case he's working on for the police. He's a grumpy wizard. There are so many naked people in this book.

But, I don't know. I sort of feel like I need to apologize because despite the tropes and the predictability and story-I've-read-before feeling... I liked this book anyway? There's a lot of quirks to it, and Harry sort of reminds me of this guy I work with, and come on guys everyone is trash for some cliches, right? I get to like this book even though I don't feel like it's super original because the magic system is cool, and Bob is funny, and Harry killed a demon in a thunderstorm in his birthday suit, and surprisingly the main character had no sex (and come on, this is a paranormal investigator story - how often does that happen?!).

The fight scenes here are great - really well paced with a good balance of magic and physicality. The magic system itself is interesting and well-explained. The female characters are stupid flat, but that's pretty common in this subgenre (unless the main character is female... sometimes that works out). The narrator of the audiobook sounds like a dad being forced to read to someone before bed, forever sighing, so that wasn't my favorite but somehow it works with Harry's grumpy wit.

I liked it. I'm not saying it's for everybody, but it was fun and a quick read, so if you're on the fence, check it out. ( )
  Morteana | Jul 26, 2018 |
Honestly, I can't remember if I finished this or DNF'd, but either way it's misogynistic drivel. ( )
  Jeeps | Jul 26, 2018 |
Jim Butcher's first book in the Harry Dresden series, Storm Front, was recommended to me by another author.

Having devoured the book in 3 days, I can honestly say I'm really glad I've been introduced to the series - as a huge fan of the thriller genre, I also enjoy being exposed to different slants on the crime/thriller theme.

Jim Butcher has created a character in Harry Dresden that is a mixture of Robert Crais' Elvis Cole and Dean Koontz's Odd Thomas - trust me, if you're a fan of either of those, you will absolutely love Storm Front. The action, humour and depth of storytelling is just brilliant.

I'm now off to download the rest of the series on to my Kindle - highly recommend you do the same. ( )
  RachelAmphlett | Jul 23, 2018 |
I'm currently reading the Dresden Files series for a second time. I read it years ago and remembered how much I liked it, so I'm reading it again. This time I have an even deeper appreciation for the way Harry grows as a person from book to book. A good book is like a good song. You don't get tired of it just because you heard it before.
1 vote Rhondavu | May 28, 2018 |
Storm Front
3.5 Stars

James Master's narration is good overall although his female voices are only so-so (I understand that this is an issue for male narrators in general). He also does this funny thing with his breathing so he sounds like he's sighing a lot - you get used to it though.

There is a great deal of world building, which makes the pacing a little slow. Nevertheless, the workings of magic are well-defined and detailed, if somewhat lacking in originality (think Harry Potter as a thirty something). The film noir atmosphere is unusual but appropriate to the tone of the character and the mystery.

The mystery has potential but Dresden's detective skills are not the best and he seems to wait around until the clues fall into his lap rather than being proactive. That said, the action scenes are fast paced and keep you engaged in the storyline. Unfortunately, the identity of the villain becomes obvious just over halfway through and the resolution is predictable.

The characterization is the best aspect of the book. Bob the talking skull with a one-track mind, Toot the fairy with a food obsession, Murphy the no-nonsense policewoman with a soft spot for Harry, Susan the tenacious reporter who has no qualms using her feminine wiles on Harry in order to get her scoop, and Morgan the White Council's warden who hopes with every fiber of his being to catch Harry in the act of committing some sort of crime that would cost him his head. Finally,there is Harry Dresden whose cynicism and self-deprecating humor together with his complete ignorance and awkwardness when it comes to women make him a very endearing protagonist.

All in all, not a bad beginning to a series and I've heard that it only gets better from here on. ( )
  Lauren2013 | May 24, 2018 |
Storm Front's premise is pretty slim.. But Butcher makes it work, through a combination of interesting characters, tight plotting, and fresh, breezy writing. This is definitely not deep reading, but it is a whole lot of fun.
added by Shortride | editSF Site, Victoria Strauss (Aug 1, 2000)

Butcher, Jimprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Langowski, JürgenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Marsters, JamesNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McGrath, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Debbie Chester, who taught me everything I really needed to know about writing. And for my father, who taught me everything I really needed to know about living. I miss you dad.
I heard the mailman approach my office door, half an hour earlier than usual.
Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face.
"An actual wizard?" he asked, grinning, as though I should let him in on the joke. "Spells and potions? Demons and incantations? Subtle and quick to anger?"
"Not so subtle."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451457811, Mass Market Paperback)

For Harry Dresden, Chicago's only professional wizard, business, to put it mildly, stinks. So when the police bring him in to consult on a grisly double murder committed with black magic, Harry's seeing dollar signs. But where there's black magic, there's a black mage behind it. And now that mage knows Harry's name.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:03 -0400)

A modern-day mage and consultant to the police finds his stale life suddenly enlivened by the presence of a rival in the black arts.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,976,896 books! | Top bar: Always visible