The Devil You Know by Mike Carey

The Devil You Know

by Mike Carey

Series: Felix Castor Series (1)

Storm Front by Jim Butcher (TheLibraryhag)
    Something from the Nightside by Simon R. Green (okeres)
    okeres: first book in the "Nightside" series, as well as the 7 or 8 books that follow.
    Unquiet Dreams by Mark Del Franco (amberwitch)
    amberwitch: Druid and necromancers fighting evil in a seedy urban setting
    Already Dead by Charlie Huston (starfishpaws)
    A Madness of Angels: Or, the Resurrection of Matthew Swift by Kate Griffin (amberwitch)
    amberwitch: gritty urban fantasy set in London
    The Man Who Walked in Darkness by Chris Strange (Kaczencja)
    The Man Who Crossed Worlds by Chris Strange (Kaczencja)
    Sandman Slim by Richard Kadrey (MyriadBooks)
    Nightlife by Rob Thurman (okeres)
    The Man Who Lost Everything by Chris Strange (Kaczencja)
    Hell! Said the Duchess by Michael Arlen (SomeGuyInVirginia)
    Death's Hand by SM Reine (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Similar gritty style about demons and exorcisms and evil.
    Unholy Ghosts by Stacia Kane (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Similar feel of grittier urban fantasy that both feature an interesting protagonist who deals with the troublesome dead.
    This Book Is Full of Spiders: Seriously, Dude, Don't Touch It by David Wong (SomeGuyInVirginia)

I was recommended this series by a poster online who suggested it based on my liking of the Dresden Files and the Nightside books. I put it off for quite awhile, but I finally decided to pick it up earlier this month. Boy, am I glad I did!

While Felix Castor doesn't have all the fancy powers that Dresden or Taylor have, he is still a very interesting character. He's an exorcist who is much more of an actual investigator than the other characters mentioned. I loved how well-written the story was, especially the mystery itself. I can honestly say I wasn't sure who the "bad guy" was even though the list of candidates was very small.

Overall, this is an excellent read. I can't wait to get started on Vicious Circle. ( )
  jrg1316 | Jun 20, 2019 |
An odd mix of supernatural thriller and mystery. I wasn't too thrilled with it at first, but as the mystery developed it sucked me in and I really enjoyed it. It feels like the first in a series - I'll definitely read more about this ghost hunting detective and demonic succubus partner. (Don't turn your back on her - she might decide to help you, but is more likely to rip out key parts of your anatomy.) ( )
  JanetNoRules | Sep 17, 2018 |
Freelance exorcist Felix Castor is hired to rid a London museum from an aggressive ghost, but when Castor starts his investigation, he finds that the ghost may have right on her side and he ends up having to find her murderers in order to placate both the ghost and his own conscience. It isn't very surprising that the author also writes John Constantine as he and Castor have quite a few things in common. That said, Castor does manage to become his own character mainly because his moral compass is quite a bit truer than Constantine's. The story started a bit slow, but once it became clear where the plot was going, it was fascinating to follow its twists and turns to the satisfying resolution. The characters are well written and enjoyable to spend time with as well, so I will definitely continue the series to see what happens with them all. ( )
  -Eva- | Aug 22, 2018 |
I haven't read Lucifer yet, but I enjoyed Mike Carey's first novel and will read more Felix "Fix" Castor novels.

Very interesting, imaginative take on ghosts, ghouls, the undead, and exorcisms. Plus, the detective novel who-done-it kept me guessing up until the end.

Good read. ( )
  writertomg | Sep 6, 2017 |
Urban fantasy murder mystery with ghosts, zombies and loup-garous.

Loved it. ( )
  Kitty.Cunningham | Jul 19, 2017 |

Mike Careyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kramer, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Lin; as if there's any other direction that matters
Normally I wear a Czarist Army Greatcoat--the kind that sometimes gets called a paletot--with pockets sewn in for my tin whistle, my notebook, a dagger, and a chalice.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0446618705, Mass Market Paperback)

Felix Castor is a freelance exorcist, and London is his stamping ground. It may seem like a good ghostbuster can charge what he likes and enjoy a hell of a lifestyle--but there's a risk: Sooner or later he's going to take on a spirit that's too strong for him. While trying to back out of this ill-conceived career, Castor accepts a seemingly simple ghost-hunting case at a museum in the shadowy heart of London--just to pay the bills, you understand. But what should have been a perfectly straightforward exorcism is rapidly turning into the Who Can Kill Castor First Show, with demons and ghosts all keen to claim the big prize. That's OK: Castor knows how to deal with the dead. It's the living who piss him off...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:23 -0400)

His long-unused services as a freelance exorcist brought back into demand by a sudden increase in supernatural activity, Felix Castor reluctantly accepts a final job, but finds the ghost in question linked to dangerous and unexpected consequences.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,396,601 books! | Top bar: Always visible