dismiss

Love Anthony (2012)

by Lisa Genova

Two women meet by accident on a Nantucket beach and are drawn into a friendship. Olivia is a young mother whose eight-year-old severely autistic son has recently died. She comes to the island in a trial separation to try and make sense of the tragedy of her Anthony's short life. Beth, a stay-at-home mother of three, is also recently separated after discovering her husband's long-term infidelity.… (more)
    House Rules by Jodi Picoult (Iudita)
    Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend by Matthew Dicks (LDVoorberg)
    LDVoorberg: Both books provide some insight into children who have ASD.

English (69)  German (1)  All languages (70)
Love Anthony may be my favorite of all of Lisa Genova's books. I went through a list of her books and now I have read all of them. My brother is similar in many ways to Anthony. Anthony had epilepsy and my brother does not. My brother was non-verbal until the age of six. His word was refrigerator. He does not talk in sentences, but can answer questions with a "yes" or "no" if you are patient enough. He does initiate conversation. When we took him to eat at a fast food place. I was shocked that he said. "Ketchup please". He was 52 at the time.

Anthony has a minimal part in this book but I am very grateful for it and now I have a longing to connect with parents, brothers and sisters to share experiences. The way that he was in those few pages was true and so similar to my brother. My brother had the same reactions to when there was too much noise or too people.

The marital problems between Olivia and Dan were typical, my parents separated and eventually divorced. Olivia was very like my own mother. I would loved it if my my mother had lived long enough to read this book. The marital problems between Beth and Jimmy was very good for me to read. My first marriage also ended similarly.

I hope that anyone who has a child with autism reads this book. I bought this book myself to see how Lisa Genova portrayed autism. ( )
  Carolee888 | Jun 10, 2020 |
What an awesome book with parts read in Anthony’s voice. It really made me think about autism in ways I never had. A very emotional and wonderful book! ( )
  vickimarie2002 | Feb 19, 2020 |
I loved how Genova gave voice to a boy with non-verbal autism and that the voice felt authentic and true. I’ve never had to consider what it would be like to be unable to easily communicate my needs with those around me. Thus was a glimpse behind the curtain and it’s very eye-opening and heart warming to see the person inside. I also loved that the story conveyed the messiness of all relationships and how we all have to make our own way in the world. ( )
  NikiKropf | Feb 18, 2020 |
  NikiKropf | Feb 18, 2020 |
Like Genova's other works, heart breaking and thought provoking. I thought I knew a little about autism, and the spectrum from books and friends. After reading this I realized I never really considered what it must be like to have a child who can't express their love the way we expect them to. Of course every family's experience is different, but I think she did a great job giving readers a glimpse into the world of autism. ( )
  Jandrew74 | May 26, 2019 |
There’s a point in the narrative where one of the characters becomes so engrossed in reading a book that she loses track of time. Readers of Genova’s latest excellent offering might very well find the same happening to them.

added by doomjesse | editKirkus (Sep 1, 2012)

For Tracey
In memory of Larry
It's Columbus Day weekend, and they lucked out with  gorgeous weather, an Indian-summer day in October.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,917,324 books! | Top bar: Always visible