Love Anthony by Lisa Genova

Love Anthony (2012)

by Lisa Genova

House Rules by Jodi Picoult (Iudita)
    Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend by Matthew Dicks (LDVoorberg)
    LDVoorberg: Both books provide some insight into children who have ASD.

English (63)  German (1)  All languages (64)
This novel is not only the story of Anthony who has Autism but of two other women, his mother Olivia Donatelli and a writer, Beth Ellis. Their lives become intertwined in the telling. As in her other books, Lisa Genova gives the reader much insight into the topic of the story, in this case Autism. Her look at how someone with Autism would possibly feel is very enlightening. The only reason I couldn't give this novel a rating of five stars was that I felt that the connection between the book written in the novel about Anthony and how it transpired seemed a little contrived. I know the insight into the condition would have been made difficult without that proposed connection, but I still felt it detracted from the overall appeal of the book. ( )
  Rdglady | Nov 20, 2018 |
I purchased this book from Half Price Books to read. All opinions are my own. 🌟🌟🌟🌟 Love Anthony by Lisa Genova. I have read Left Neglected, Every Note Played and Inside the O'Briens by Lisa Genova before I read this one Love Anthony. This is a heart breaking and heart warming story of Beth, a mother of three daughters struggling to decide if she wants a divorce or if she need to rebuild her family by picking up the shattered pieces of her broken marriage she never even knew was in trouble. And also a story of Olivia who is very determined that her life should have been different and was treated extremely unfair by God. The two of them are brought together under very strange circumstances both finding the answer they needed to hear from a boy on the autism spectrum. The details are oh so important and her portrayal of the child was spot on. I love how everything I have read by this author is spot on for the medical situation she is writing about. My next read by this author will be Still Alice. And then I must wait until she writes a sixth one. Review also posted on Instagram @borenbooks, Library Thing, Go Read, Goodreads/StacieBoren, Amazon, Twitter @jason_stacie and my blog at readsbystacie.com ( )
  SBoren | May 28, 2018 |
I received this copy from a goodreads giveaway first reads. This was a beautiful novel about autism. I loved the characters of Beth, Olivia and Anthony. I don't have first hand knowledge of autism. I know people whose child is on the spectrum, but do not see or interact with them on a daily basis. My knowledge of autism is very limited, but I feel that Lisa Genova made me understand the struggles and joys. This is a story of love and forgiveness.

Olivia is broken. Broken by having had a child with autism, by his untimely death, and by the end of her marriage. She moves to Nantucket to escape and hide. What happens there is that she starts to heal.

Beth is mother of three who has put her life on hold. It is a infidelity in her marriage that makes her see she has given up on her dreams. She decides to start writing again and is given the insight to write about a boy with autism.

I loved the story this book told. It made me want to understand autism and offer support to those moms and dads facing it daily. I know that the parents of these children wouldn't change them for anything, but I think it has to be difficult to deal with the challenges. ( )
  heatherdhahn | Feb 5, 2018 |
Two women, both struggling with life changes, are brought together by a chance encounter and they help each other move on. One is the parent of an autistic child that has died and the other is facing the end of her marriage. I thought the voice of the autistic boy was very authentic and the struggles of his parents very real. This author really does her research. If you like this book read her other book Still Alice. ( )
  Kbig898 | Dec 29, 2017 |
Not nearly as wrenching as Still Alice, but a good book. Follows a year in the life of two women, one who deals with a broken marriage, one who deals with a son's death, both dealing with personal identity. A bit of a beach read -- especially because the beach is so often referenced in the story! -- but serious enough not to be flippant or ridiculous.

Debra Messing's read is good, but she has a tendency to swallow or get quiet at the end of her sentences/clauses, which means the volume needs to be rather high. ( )
  LDVoorberg | Dec 3, 2017 |
There’s a point in the narrative where one of the characters becomes so engrossed in reading a book that she loses track of time. Readers of Genova’s latest excellent offering might very well find the same happening to them.

added by doomjesse | editKirkus (Sep 1, 2012)

For Tracey
In memory of Larry
It's Columbus Day weekend, and they lucked out with  gorgeous weather, an Indian-summer day in October.

Two women meet by accident on a Nantucket beach and are drawn into a friendship. Olivia is a young mother whose eight-year-old severely autistic son has recently died. She comes to the island in a trial separation to try and make sense of the tragedy of her Anthony's short life. Beth, a stay-at-home mother of three, is also recently separated after discovering her husband's long-term infidelity.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,087,435 books! | Top bar: Always visible