Fairy Tales from the Brothers Grimm: A New English Version (2012)

by Philip Pullman (Retelling)

Other authors: Jacob Grimm (Original), Wilhelm Grimm (Original)

Two centuries ago, Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm published the first volume of Children's and Household Tales. Now Philip Pullman, one of the most accomplished authors of our time, makes us fall in love all over again with the immortal tales of the Brothers Grimm.

Wonderful book - best overall condensation of Grimm I've encountered. ( )
  dhaxton | Mar 17, 2022 |
Very well told - will buy own copy. Loved these in childhood in an older version
  MiriamL | Feb 15, 2021 |
I've read a few fairy tales books (from a Disney series) when I was a kid. Cinderella, for example, was one of them. But later on, when I really got into reading, I never really checked back on those kinds of stories, be them by Grimm or other authors.

It was by chance that I saw this book, Grimm Tales, in a bookshop. Reading the back cover, I thought it would be interesting to read such fairy tales, if only to have some variation in my collection.

Grimm Tales, one of the many books out there collecting tales from the brothers Grimm, who got their stories from other people, is a collection of 53 tales. Philip Pullman reworked them a little for this edition. He also added with each tale its history, a reference to similar tales (by different authors), and his findings on the presented tales.

Also interesting is the introduction, in which mr. Pullman tells about the brothers Grimm and how their tales collection came to be. Plus, he explains what's typical for a fairy tale, what a good tale should contain, what not, etc. So it's not just a compilation of tales, but it has added info, which makes the books more interesting and valuable.

The tales themselves are of course not all equally good/entertaining/..., but the majority is. Most of them involve rich vs poor, typical characters like princes/queens/kings/witches/... and talking animals.

All in all, I found Grimm Tales a very entertaining and informative read. Depending how old you are, it may bring back memories from your childhood. ;-) But as the subtitle says, it's for "Young and Old", i.e. everyone. ( )
  TechThing | Jan 22, 2021 |
I grew up reading Andrew Lang's color fairy books, so none of the stories collected here are really new to me. However, Pullman's informative and often snarky remarks after each tale are well worth the read. ( )
  resoundingjoy | Jan 1, 2021 |
"I want to be God. I want to cause the sun and the moon to rise. I can’t bear it when I see them rising and I haven’t had anything to do with it. But if I were God, I could make it all happen. I could make them go backwards if I wanted. So go and tell the flounder I want to be God.’’

A volume of retellings of the tales that became famous through the effort of the Grimm brothers. Snow White, Little Red Riding Hood, Cinderella, the Twelve Dancing Princesses, Rapunzel are here along with more obscure - and more obscure interesting, I'd say- tales of princesses and witches, brave lads, wise animals, foolish kings, devils and spirits.

Do we need retellings when the original material is so loved and popular? It depends. I am in favour of a writer's new view on a classic tale as long as the heart of the story remains intact. In this case, Philip Pullman created versions that are gritty and sassy. However, there were issues that significantly diminished my overall impression of this effort.

Pullman's notes at the end of each tale may be considered "informative" by many readers. Not by me, though. Pullman frequently diminished other writers’ versions or even the origins and the concepts of the stories themselves. I found this rude and unprofessional, to say the least. I mean, you are not exactly Shakespeare yourself, dear writer.

Overall, an average effort and a showcase of a writer’s huge ego…

My reviews can also be found on https://theopinionatedreaderblog.wordpress.com/ ( )
  AmaliaGavea | Nov 24, 2020 |
This collection is issued as a "classic", so it is probably right to aim for a style free of the gothic extravagance of Angela Carter or the contemporary ethics of Jane Yolen or any other highly literary or individual interpretation, but for those who already know the stories this results in a collection which is very good, but not very interesting.

Pullman, PhilipRetellingprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Grimm, JacobOriginalsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Grimm, WilhelmOriginalsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Forner, AlisonCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hildebrand, FloydIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tan, ShaunIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
West, SamuelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fed
Up so long and variously by
Our age's fancy narrative concoctions,
I yearned for the kind of unseasoned telling found
In legends, fairy tales, a tone licked clean
Over the centuries by mild old tongues,
Grandam to cub, serene, anonymous.
...So my narrative
Wanted to be limpid, unfragmented;
My characters, conventional stock figures
Afflicted to a minimal degree
With personality and past experience--
A witch, a hermit, innocent young lovers,
The kinds of being we recall from Grimm,
Jung, Verdi, and the commedia dell'arte.
So writes the American poet James Merrill at the opening of 'The Book of Ephraim', the first part of his extraordinary long poem The Changing Light at Sandover (1982). -- From the INTRODUCTION
In the olden days, when wishing still worked, there lived a king whose daughters were all beautiful; but the youngest daughter was so lovely that even the sun, who has seen many things, was struck with wonder every time he shone on her face. -- From "The Frog King, or Iron Heinrich," first tale in the book
Please distinguish between original publication of Philip Pullman's adapted stories, Fairy Tales from the Brothers Grimm: A New English Version (Viking; 2012), from its paperback re-issue as a Penguin Classics Deluxe Edition (Penguin; 2013). The paperback re-issue adds three stories that were omitted from Pullman's first collection, specifically: "The Twelve Huntsmen," "The Buffalo-Hide Boots," and "The Golden Key." Thank you.

The frog king, or Iron Heinrich --
The cat and the mouse set up house --
The boy who left home to find out about the shivers --
Faithful Johannes --
The twelve brothers --
Little brother and little sister --
Rapunzel --
The three little men in the woods --
Hansel and Gretel --
The three snake leaves --
The fisherman and his wife --
The brave little tailor --
Cinderella --
The riddle --
The mouse, the bird and the sausage --
Little Red Riding Hood --
The musicians of Bremen --
The singing bone --
The devil with the three golden hairs --
The girl with no hands --
The elves --
The golden bird --
Farmerkin --
Thousandfurs --
Jorinda and Joringel --
Six who made their way in the world --
Gambling Hans --
Hans-my-hedgehog --
The little shroud --
The stolen pennies --
The donkey cabbage --
One eye, two eyes and three eyes --
The shoes that were danced to pieces --
Iron Hans --
Mount Simeli --
Lazy Heinz --
Strong Hans --
The moon --
The goose girl at the spring --
The nixie of the millpond
Splendid retelling
Of fifty of Grimms' classic
And obscure folk tales.
(passion4reading)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 171,520,588 books! | Top bar: Always visible