Siege and Storm

by Leigh Bardugo

Series: Grishaverse Series (2), The Shadow and Bone Trilogy (2), Grisha (2)

Hunted across the True Sea and haunted by the lives she took on the Fold, Alina must try to make a life with Mal in an unfamiliar land, all while keeping her identity as the Sun Summoner a secret.

I'm enjoying this trilogy fine but there's a lot of similarities between it and the Empirium trilogy and I really shouldn't have read them so close together. ( )
  KimZoot | Jan 2, 2022 |
Still loving this story, and the intriguing cast of characters as well. ( )
  mutantpudding | Dec 26, 2021 |
3.75 stars. This books suffers from sequel syndrome. The characthers have developed, but into angsty, whiney babies who don't communicate. I understand this is a typical story trope and I both love and hate it. It's fun to see how long the idiot protagonists will take to pull themselves together and actually speak to each other. But at times, it drags out for far too long and you kind of hope they never get together at that point because they don't deserve happiness for being so stupid.

This story is right on the border of taking too long. Alina and Mal are a hot mess. Alina is being pulled in so many different directions. She's trying to do what's best for the country, for the people, but it's hard for her. She's conflicted, which, of course. But she also has so much working against her. Two princes fighting for power, a cult who worships her, friends who are deceiving her, and Mal who both loves and fears her.

The plot is still moving forward, if taking a bit long. And the protagonists are in their annoying phase, but it still kept my interest and I am definietly looking forward to seeing how it all works out. ( )
  ViragoReads | Dec 19, 2021 |
I must be the only one who loves Mal and Alina and would love a story of just them on road trip adventures..

This is slightly better than Shadow and Bone for me purely because of the addition of Sturmhund/Nikolai, what a gem.

I still dislike Alina.

Don't get the Mal hate.

Onto R&R so I can finally just read SoC. ( )
  Zenary | Dec 16, 2021 |
When Netflix released the first season of Shadow and Bone from Leigh Bardugo, my daughter was the one who insisted I read the books first. When my daughter recommends I read a book, I take her advice, especially when this is a series she admittedly rereads as often as she can. So that is what I did.

What I discovered in Shadow and Bone, Siege and Storm, and Ruin and Rising was a fascinating story of magic and power, oppression and heroes. The Grisha world is amazing with all the various powers alongside the fear and anger others hold towards them. At the same time, I will admit that Alina is not my favorite character, Even Mal is more charming and has a bit more personality than Alina does. I found I wanted more of the Darkling and less of Alina’s inner angst. While he certainly is evil, I find his backstory intriguing and his desire to see the Grisha earn a better place in society perfectly acceptable. Granted, he goes about it the wrong way, but he is only trying to make the world a better place for his people. You have to admire that. ( )
  jmchshannon | Nov 28, 2021 |

Leigh Bardugoprimary authorall editionscalculated
Deas, RichCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fortgang, LaurenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thompson, KeithMap artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wang, JenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ward, AprilDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my mother,
who believed even when I didn't.
The boy and the girl had once dreamed of ships, long ago, before they'd ever seen the True Sea.

Darkness never dies.

Hunted across the True Sea, haunted by the lives she took on the Fold, Alina must try to make a life with Mal in an unfamiliar land, all while keeping her identity as the Sun Summoner a secret. But she can’t outrun her past or her destiny for long.

The Darkling has emerged from the Shadow Fold with a terrifying new power and a dangerous plan that will test the very boundaries of the natural world. With the help of a notorious privateer, Alina returns to the country she abandoned, determined to fight the forces gathering against Ravka. But as her power grows, Alina slips deeper into the Darkling’s game of forbidden magic, and farther away from Mal. Somehow, she will have to choose between her country, her power, and the love she always thought would guide her—or risk losing everything to the oncoming storm.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,235,085 books! | Top bar: Always visible