Books of Blood 1-3 by Clive Barker

by Clive Barker

The Book of Blood: ★★★☆☆
The Midnight Meat Train: ★★★★☆
  Netpilgrim | Jun 25, 2017 |
I loved this collection of stories. Absolutely loved them. They were gritty, raw, disturbing and at times comical. I enjoyed these stories much more than The Hellbound Heart, which was unfortunately the only piece of writing by Barker that I had read until now. I hope the rumors that these tales are to consecutively be made into films is not true. I find that these are the types of tales much better left to the imagination and have a much greater impact as they are. ( )
  Heather_Brock | Nov 23, 2016 |
I've never experienced anything like the terror, dread, and disgust that I got from reading Cliver Barker's Books of Blood. Some of the stories horrified me in ways I never experienced from literature. Some terrified me deeply, some made laugh at its absurdities, some made me slightly uncomfortable, but all of them unsettled me in their own ways. A truly unique horror literary experience. ( )
  trile1000 | Aug 29, 2016 |
Fantastic read. The Yattering and Jack, and Midnight Meat Train are great works. Pig Blood Blues was an interesting one, kind of a mystery horror. This first installment of his 16 stories in this series is a must read for a quick horror fix. There are great concepts here and some of the best of Barker's work. ( )
  Mister-T | Apr 9, 2016 |
You simply can't read Clive Barker without going through his Books of Blood: they are a collection of stories that synthesizes this world covered on blood, tragedy & darkness he showed us!

Barker's writing is full of a complex network of dark stories that challenges your mind, defies your beliefs, your perspicacity, your morals and even your reading skills.

The poetic perversity in Barker's words only creates the charming nature of his books. ( )
  Hanike | Mar 17, 2016 |
To my mother and father
The dead have highways.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0425165582, Paperback)

"Everybody is a book of blood; wherever we're opened, we're red." For those who only know Clive Barker through his long multigenre novels, this one-volume edition of the Books of Blood is a welcome chance to acquire the 16 remarkable horror short stories with which he kicked off his career. For those who already know these tales, the poignant introduction is a window on the creator's mind. Reflecting back after 14 years, Barker writes:

I look at these pieces and I don't think the man who wrote them is alive in me anymore.... We are all our own graveyards I believe; we squat amongst the tombs of the people we were. If we're healthy, every day is a celebration, a Day of the Dead, in which we give thanks for the lives that we lived; and if we are neurotic we brood and mourn and wish that the past was still present.

Reading these stories over, I feel a little of both. Some of the simple energies that made these words flow through my pen--that made the phrases felicitous and the ideas sing--have gone. I lost their maker a long time ago.

These enthusiastic tales are not ashamed of visceral horror, of blood splashing freely across the page: "The Midnight Meat Train," a grisly subway tale that surprises you with one twist after another; "The Yattering and Jack," about a hilarious demon who possesses a Christmas turkey; "In the Hills, the Cities," an unusual example of an original horror premise; "Dread," a harrowing non-supernatural tale about being forced to realize your worst nightmare; "Jacqueline Ess: Her Will and Testament," about a woman who kills men with her mind. Some of the tales are more successful than others, but all are distinguished by strikingly beautiful images of evil and destruction. No horror library is complete without them. --Fiona Webster

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:22 -0400)

From a power-invested ancient Roman statue that steals souls to long-dead movie stars resurrected to serve the forces of evil, these three collections of short stories combine the extraordinary with the ordinary, to create a nightmarish world of terror and the macabre.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,176,686 books! | Top bar: Always visible