A Gardener's Alphabet by Mary Azarian

A Gardener's Alphabet

by Mary Azarian

17520102,397 (4.04)None

This is an alphabet book in which each letter of the alphabet is given with a gardening-related word. For example, a is for arbor, b is for bulbs, c is for compost, etc. There is no story and some of the words are tricky, so this would be more of a lapsit read-aloud than an independent reading or storytime book. However, the illustrations are absolutely gorgeous so this book is worth sharing for that reason alone. Families that enjoy gardening or visiting gardens will particularly like this one. ( )
  sweetiegherkin | Feb 5, 2019 |
This book discusses all different kinds of words that relate to both gardening and to the alphabet. ( )
  MichaelaGennaro | Oct 10, 2018 |
Azarian made a content book by naming actions and objects to each letter of the alphabet.
  greinertsen17 | Oct 10, 2018 |
Mary Azarian, a Caldecott Medal winner, shows us a piece of her childhood in this children's alphabet book. For each letter of the alphabet, we get something that has to do with gardening. ( )
  ElizabethHogeland | Jul 16, 2018 |
This book gives a garden item for every letter of the alphabet.
Pierce College Library
  Afrady | Jun 10, 2017 |

Goes through the various gardening vocal, but what it does really well is the illustrations. The pictures tell more than the words. If I were to use this in a high school, I would use it in a an art class and have them study the motion and the meaning of the pictures in relationship to what the goal of the book is.

With her signature woodblock prints, the Caldecott medalist Mary Azarian invites readers into her own garden to discover its simple joys. Revealing the variety of life underground, the bright comfort of a greenhouse on a winter’s day, or the anticipation of starting seeds indoors in early spring, this striking alphabet book reminds us that gardens are perhaps our best way to live closer to the land and to the rhythm of the seasons.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:45 -0400)

An alphabet book featuring words associated with gardening, including bulbs, compost, digging, insects, and weeds.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,436,730 books! | Top bar: Always visible