Hive by Brannon Braga

Great fun. It’s a non-canon remix of First Contact and some of best episodes of TNG and VOY beginning when Voyager returns to Earth. Time travel, Interdimensional aliens, Borg, Vulcan suicide commandos? Need I say more? No one knows these characters better than Braga due to his deep involvement with the franchise. Should I read into him excluding Troi entirely except for one wordless frame?

The art is good but not great, but I’m not sure I want an artist to overly stylize Trek characters. The penciller, Joe Corroney, has been an in house artist (hack?) for Lucas Arts since 1997 so I suppose he is good at not tainting someone else’s intellectual property. I’m picking on him but he does a good job here. Especially his paneling, which is particularly lively. Perhaps in compensation for the conservative character rendering? I don’t know. This is the first, new, genre, adventure, superhero-esque comic I have read in years. It is the first comic with glossy pages and digital coloring that I have enjoyed. Should some variation of this have been the last TNG movie? Probably. ( )
1 vote librarianbryan | Dec 16, 2013 |
Lots of timey-wimey fun with Captain Picard/Locutus, Data, and Seven of Nine as the Locutus of an alternative future seeks to change history and stop the complete assimilation of the entire universe by the Borg. ( )
1 vote LaneLiterati | Apr 22, 2013 |

Brannon Bragaprimary authorall editionscalculated
Corroney, JoeIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed

In the 29th century the Borg have assimilated the entire galaxy without really know if it was worth doing. A spark of what's left of Jean-Luc Picard awakens in Locutus and knows what must be done, starting 500 years in the past. In the 24th century, Picard is on vacation with Vash when he hears the collective calling. Returning to Starfleet Command, he learns that the Borg are massing and need to speak with Locutus of Borg. The Borg Queen brings news of a new threat, Species 1881, the Voldranaii. Failing to assimilate them, the Borg now find themselves on the run from a Voldranaii fleet with superior technology and a desire to exterminate all potential threats, including humans. The Queen sends her ambassador, Seven of Nine, to meet with Picard. In the 29th century, Locutus resurrects Data to help kill the Queen.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,315,258 books! | Top bar: Always visible