Scrambles Amongst the Alps by Edward Whymper

Scrambles Amongst the Alps

by Edward Whymper

Edward Whymper was an artist who, after being commissioned to make a series of alpine scenery drawings, became known for his exploits in mountain climbing. He was in the group that first climbed The Barre des Ecrins, then the highest point in France, and, after several attempts, succeeded in being with the first ascent of the Matterhorn. On that expedition, four members of the party were killed when a rope broke. He describes those thrilling adventures here.… (more)

Read.
  Kindlegohome | Jul 1, 2015 |
Whymper's book about some of his first ascents of peaks in the Alps, including the first ascent of the famed Matterhorn alternates between really fascinating and dry. His curmudgeonly character frequently causes him to underplay the difficulties of his ascents and some of the stories suffer from that. His tragic climb of the Matterhorn, where a majority of his companions died, is the best story of the book and he makes you wait for until the end. There are several chapters that focus on the geology of the region and this is where the book really dragged for me -- more because I'm interested in mountaineering history rather than the make up of the mountains themselves. I'm glad I read this historical account, but it isn't one I'd ever pick up to read again. ( )
  amerynth | Nov 19, 2010 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,778,302 books! | Top bar: Always visible