dismiss

Stardust [Graphic] by Neil Gaiman

Stardust [Graphic]

by Neil Gaiman, Charles Vess (Illustrator)

A young man is compelled to retrieve a fallen star for the woman he loves and crosses through the wondrous gate in the stone wall leading to the world of faerie, where he encounters dangerous rivals for the star.

English (46)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Portuguese (1)  German (1)  Finnish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (51)
An original fairy tale for children and adults alike. It has a charming style of narration, and illustrations on nearly every page. - Lucky ( )
  Lucky-Loki | May 26, 2020 |
I wasn't very fond of the original novel. I thought the movie was far better.

However, here we have the illustrations to accompany the text and oh how beautiful they are! It changed the whole novel! I wish I had read this only.

If you haven't read stardust yet pick this one up instead of the novel!
Read my review of Stardust
  asthepageturns | Jun 13, 2019 |
This is a very sweet fairy tale. The land of Faerie seems like a magical place, but with some similarities to our world. What took this book from ordinary to magical was the art work of Charles Vess. His drawing really made the story come alive. This was a beautiful book. ( )
  readingover50 | Jun 11, 2019 |
I don't reread books very often. But I read this so long ago, and since then Stardust has become one of my favorite movies that I've watched over and over, which leads to conversations with people about differences between the book and the movie, which would make me feel anxious about how little of the book I still remember, so... reread.

First of all, I am ever grateful that I jumped on this particular bandwagon early enough to have the illustrated Vess version of this book, because it is so lovely.

Second, this is one of those occasions where the book and the movie are fairly different, but both are amazing in their own formats. It helps, I think, that the book is short, so there was space for the movie to expand many of the characters and try new things without undoing anything the book itself had done. But now that I've seen the movie so many times, it's difficult for me to empty my head of it and judge this book on its own.

Happy to have reread it, though. It's such a charming story, in both formats. ( )
  greeniezona | Jun 8, 2019 |
Loved this book! I read it over 15 years ago and it was wonderful! What I loved most about it was the world building. Faerie felt like a place that was lived in and had so many other stories and adventures going on in the background.

I also much prefer the ending in the book to the Hollywood ending of the movie. The movie ending was good, but the book's was bittersweet and just felt more real and authentic. It was an excellent read. ( )
  Sandra_Ruiz | Dec 13, 2018 |

Gaiman, NeilAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Vess, CharlesIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
This is the book Illustrated by Charles Vess, firstly published by Vertigo. Please don't combine it with the prose only version of the book.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,613,783 books! | Top bar: Always visible