Stardust [Graphic]

by Neil Gaiman, Charles Vess (Illustrator)

Series: Stardust

A young man is compelled to retrieve a fallen star for the woman he loves and crosses through the wondrous gate in the stone wall leading to the world of faerie, where he encounters dangerous rivals for the star.
Recently added byArina42, fairy.bookmother, casianna

English (47)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Portuguese (1)  German (1)  Finnish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (52)
Having read the novel and watched the film versions of this story many times I was not surprised at all by the multiple plot twists, but I still found the graphic novel to be quite charming. Gaiman's prose is typically elegant (if slightly more terse than the novel due to space constraints) and is complemented well by Vess' illustrations. Together the two make up one wonderful story that could really only be improved by an overall lengthening; we all want more of Tristran's and Yvaine's adventures after all! ( )
  JaimieRiella | Feb 25, 2021 |
This was very "Gaiman". Weak (physically) main character who doesn't realize he has a destiny, cool colorful characters, iconic mythical creatures and a little romance thrown in for good measure.

I liked this but having seen the movie it seemed like a lot of great stuff from the movie was missing from the book, which is obviously the opposite of what usually happens. I'm not sure if the novel, the one without pictures, is different than this edition, maybe that has more "content"?

Either way, if you're a Gaiman fan, you'll like this, and if you're not it's a perfectly reasonable place to start. ( )
  ragwaine | Aug 20, 2020 |
An original fairy tale for children and adults alike. It has a charming style of narration, and illustrations on nearly every page. - Lucky ( )
  Lucky-Loki | May 26, 2020 |
I wasn't very fond of the original novel. I thought the movie was far better.

However, here we have the illustrations to accompany the text and oh how beautiful they are! It changed the whole novel! I wish I had read this only.

If you haven't read stardust yet pick this one up instead of the novel!
Read my review of Stardust
  asthepageturns | Jun 13, 2019 |
This is a very sweet fairy tale. The land of Faerie seems like a magical place, but with some similarities to our world. What took this book from ordinary to magical was the art work of Charles Vess. His drawing really made the story come alive. This was a beautiful book. ( )
  readingover50 | Jun 11, 2019 |

Gaiman, NeilAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Vess, CharlesIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
This is the book Illustrated by Charles Vess, firstly published by Vertigo. Please don't combine it with the prose only version of the book.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,971,767 books! | Top bar: Always visible