Stardust [Graphic] by Neil Gaiman

Stardust [Graphic]

by Neil Gaiman, Charles Vess (Illustrator)

English (43)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Portuguese (1)  German (1)  Finnish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (48)
Loved this book! I read it over 15 years ago and it was wonderful! What I loved most about it was the world building. Faerie felt like a place that was lived in and had so many other stories and adventures going on in the background.

I also much prefer the ending in the book to the Hollywood ending of the movie. The movie ending was good, but the book's was bittersweet and just felt more real and authentic. It was an excellent read. ( )
  Sandra_Ruiz | Dec 13, 2018 |
This was an excellent book, just beautiful. I find that the more of Gaiman's work I read the more I fall in with his writing.

Tristan is a fantastic character and his journey is quite interesting to me. I enjoyed it a great deal. ( )
  magickislife | Nov 20, 2018 |
Disappointed. This was my first Gaiman novel. I have not seen the film based on this book and only decided to read 'Stardust' based on Gaiman's reputation and the many positive reviews received. Alas, this story did nothing for me. In my opinion it was simplistic, cliched and the characters two-dimensional. Supposedly an 'adult' fairy tale but I failed to find anything challenging or thought provoking (unlike, say, Philip Pullman's novels for children). Throwing in some sex and violence to a predictable tale that otherwise recycles standard motifs does not, in my view, make for a satisfying read. I was very glad to reach the end - mercifully it is a short read. ( )
  dairylea | May 13, 2018 |
Beyond the book and the movie... I believe this Vertigo release Charles Vess illustrated version is -the- definitive version of Gaiman's Stardust. It was the first and only version I have ever read (a gift from a friend that I have, alas, long lost touch with). The delicate water colored paintings of Mssr Vess give life and credence to Mssr Gaiman's tale in the Realms of the Faerie. I always told myself I would get the book version but somehow my eyes always glazed over and moved on to the next book on the shelf. Nevermind - the book version is just the same release minus illustrations - Stardust was initially conceived between Gaiman and Vess to be a fully illustrated adult faerie tale story book. The movie was not bad but it didn't feel as 'magical'.

I read this during my more formative SFF geek years (pre college/post highschool) when I was well into my The Wheel of Time long book wait fugue, had just finally finished off Gaiman's Sandman TPB's (borrowed from my friend) and was probably around the time the first few books of Martin's ASoIaF had just come out (whirrrlwind!!) so I could be talking from a misty-eyed sff-fangirl perspective...

Well, someone could probably say it better than me... anyhow... look! Faery market!

(woefully undersized and as such cannot be fully appreciated. #ohwell)

Anyhow. If you ever get the chance to even go through this version once... do so. If you want a real trip into the realms of fae... this is it...!! @___@ ( )
  kephradyx | Jun 20, 2017 |
Superior to the film in every way (except for the lack of a prancy Robert DeNiro). ( )
  bensdad00 | Jan 10, 2017 |

Gaiman, NeilAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Vess, CharlesIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
This is the book Illustrated by Charles Vess, firstly published by Vertigo. Please don't combine it with the prose only version of the book.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 156389470X, Paperback)

Stardust is an utterly charming fairy tale in the tradition of The Princess Bride and The Neverending Story. Neil Gaiman, creator of the darkly elegant Sandman comics and author of The Day I Swapped My Dad for Two Goldfish, tells the story of young Tristran Thorn and his adventures in the land of Faerie. One fateful night, Tristran promises his beloved that he will retrieve a fallen star for her from beyond the Wall that stands between their rural English town (called, appropriately, Wall) and the Faerie realm. No one ever ventures beyond the Wall except to attend an enchanted flea market that is held every nine years (and during which, unbeknownst to him, Tristran was conceived). But Tristran bravely sets out to fetch the fallen star and thus win the hand of his love. His adventures in the magical land will keep you turning pages as fast as you can--he and the star escape evil old witches, deadly clutching trees, goblin press-gangs, and the scheming sons of the dead Lord of Stormhold. The story is by turns thrillingly scary and very funny. You'll love goofy, earnest Tristran and the talking animals, gnomes, magic trees, and other irresistible denizens of Faerie that he encounters in his travels. Stardust is a perfect read-aloud book, a brand-new fairy tale you'll want to share with a kid, or maybe hoard for yourself. (If you read it to kids, watch out for a couple of spicy sex bits and one epithet.) --Therese Littleton

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:20 -0400)

A young man scales a guarded wall to retrieve a fallen star for the woman he loves, and finds himself in a strange realm full of searchers.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,842,249 books! | Top bar: Always visible