The Visitors by Clifford D. Simak

The Visitors (1979)

by Clifford D. Simak

English (4)  Italian (1)  All languages (5)
Hm. Interesting ideas, of course, as it's Simak. Characterization, esp. of women, slightly better than many of his previous works (but that's not saying much, I have to admit). How much you like this depends on how much you're interested in different people's pragmatic reactions to the appearance of this evidence of alien life. The President wants to be re-elected. The manager of the newspaper wants scoops, and the editor wants to fulfill the mission of 'information for the people's good.' Citizens are variously terrified, welcoming, hostile, annoyed, and even bemused. And by the end when it just ends, with not much of anything actually having happened, with no solid information about what's next, the reader is likely to be both bemused and confused. I thought I'd figured it out, but then I read Grant's review on GR and he has a quite different interpretation.... I really like that this alien is nothing like the 'human with wrinkly forehead' that we usually get. I also like that there are no villains.*

What is driving these people to urge a day of prayer is the obsessive urge of the suddenly devout to force everyone else into at least a simulation of their state of mind." (That's the press sec. of the Pres. opining. It's a very minor bit, but I think it's a good sample.)

*Come to think of it, that may be why I like all of Simak so much, why I keep reading him even though he doesn't have the most talent. His stories are about ideas, about people trying to figure something out, not about good vs. evil.)" ( )
1 vote Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
Not my favorite Simak, but he always pleases me because he forces me to think/wonder. The aliens are atypical, the predicament thought provoking. Don't expect a neat resolution. ( )
  dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |
I picked this up at a Worldcon a few years back. Time was, I thought there could never be such a thing as a boring Simak novel, even though some of the later books of his I'd read had been a bit, well, lacking in sustenance. Sadly, The Visitors proved to be dull as ditchwater. The aliens arrive in the form of lots of big, featureless black boxes that arrive in forest areas and start devouring trees. One does so on the outskirts of Lone Pine, Minnesota, and Simak's usual roster of small-town characters start trying to make contact with it, or at least to cope with its presence. Oh how I longed for the days of The Big Back Yard or They Walked Like Men . . . ( )
  JohnGrant1 | Aug 11, 2013 |
ZB5
  mcolpitts | Aug 1, 2009 |

Clifford D. Simakprimary authorall editionscalculated
Luzak, DennisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Moore, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,471,706 books! | Top bar: Always visible