A Fine and Pleasant Misery by Patrick F.…

A Fine and Pleasant Misery (1978)

by Patrick F. McManus

Great stories of growing up in the wilds of Idaho and the 50s. Also, some of the stories looked at outdoor life as an adult hunter/fisherman. ( )
  addunn3 | Mar 15, 2017 |
He's funny. 27 short stories will convince anyone that he's funny. Read "The Mountain Man" and see if it doesn't have you laughing so hard you rip your pants. ( )
  Hawken04 | Feb 28, 2013 |
Group E
  gilsbooks | May 17, 2011 |
If you enjoyed Bill Bryson's A Walk in the Woods, you'll love this book. From his childhood in rural Idaho to his adventures with his family as an experienced outdoorsman, Pat McManus has to be the funniest outdoor writer ever. I spent my time either nodding my head in agreement (his comparison of old-fashioned misery camping and modern ultralight luxury camping was classic) to rolling on the floor laughing (his description of his childhood bicycle had me howling).

Each chapter is a stand-alone vignette written for publication in Field & Stream magazine. They hold together well, however, with only occasional minor repetitions in description. Themes and characters run through the entire book, such as boyhood independence and characters such as his dog, Strange, and his mentor, Rancid Crabtree. Altogether I can't wait to read the next book he wrote, They Shoot Canoes, Don't They? Perfect escapist reading when your reading list gets a little to heavy. ( )
  labfs39 | Aug 30, 2010 |
This is one of a very few books that had me laughing out loud! I have to give any book that can make that happen a rave review. The stories about growing up in the outdoors contrasted with the way much of our culture is today is HILARIOUS! Warning: a couple stories may cause tears. ( )
1 vote deltadawn | Jul 26, 2010 |

More witty cautionary tales of outdoor life, by everybody's favorite expert on the subject, Patrick F. McManus.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:43 -0400)

"A hilarious compilation" (Los Angeles Times),A Fine and Pleasant Misery gathers twenty-seven witty, cautionary tales of the outdoor life from beloved humorist Patrick F. McManus in a collection edited and introduced by Jack Samson, long-time editor-in-chief ofField & Stream. The great outdoors have never been rendered as hysterically as in the reminiscences--true and exaggerated--of Patrick F. McManus. If you're thinking about getting back to nature, the surreal adventures chronicled here will make you think twice about giving it all up for a life of camping, hiking, and hunting.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,429,048 books! | Top bar: Always visible