An Accidental Goddess by Linnea Sinclair

by Linnea Sinclair

4702031,509 (3.86)12

:) ( )
  Janicemo | Aug 19, 2018 |
Linnea's mix of action, Science-Fiction and Romance is fabulous as always! ( )
  KarinShah | May 13, 2015 |
Fun, but not my favorite Sinclair. The setup is great and even makes sense (a very weird sort of sense, but sense), but...it gets a little too easy at the end, particularly after all her agonizing. And his turning out, barely seeded, to have powers of his own is...again, way too convenient. Still, I love Mack and Gillie - and Tobias is an amusing idiot. Probably normally a quite sensible man, though from Mack's comments he's a bit of a tech geek (low on social skills). And the silly parrots - again, a trifle convenient (I've never seen parrots fly in strict squadrons - one or two always seem to veer off on their own business. Even with the flute). The setting is fun, Gillie's people seem interesting (though it's hard to "see" them clearly through the Khalaran reverence.
Huh, and this is a sequel to another book I've never even heard of - I thought I had checked out all of Sinclair's books. Oh goody, more Sinclair to read! ( )
  jjmcgaffey | May 1, 2015 |
Review after re-reading 2015:

In this book we meet Captain Gillaine Davré – a military adviser for the Khalaran Confederation who has a liking for pub-crawling. We also meet the Kiasidira; a great sorceress from a legendary people called the Raheirans. As it happens, these two are one and the same, though not necessarily friends. Gillaine wants to be “just Gillie”, but possesses powers that she never asked for. Powers that make her feel isolated even among her own people.

When an accident flings her, and her sentient crystalship Simon, three hundred years into the future she sees a chance to have people look at her and just see her. Not a captain, not a sorceress, just a person. She sees a chance to develop normal relationships with people, most especially with one Admiral Mack Rynan. But things are not quite so easy, because three hundred years ago she saved the Khalaran people, and in the centuries since they have made her into a deity, the titular accidental Goddess. When an old enemy re-emerges Gillie has to decide if she’s willing to destroy in order to save; destroy an integral part of her adoptive people’s culture in order to face their adversary as her true, sorceress self.

An Accidental Goddess is a science fiction romance, with some elements that are arguably fantasy, and it’s a balanced blend of all those things. It’s a good science fiction story, atmospherically reminding me of Babylon 5, with culture clashes and space battles in and around the space station Cirrus One. It’s also a good romance novel, where Gillie and Mack are believable characters, their relationship moves forward with realistic bumps along the way. There are sex scenes in here, but they are well integrated, tasteful and not the main focus of the story (a mistake made by many authors who try to write science fiction romance, but end up writing science fiction erotica instead).
It’s debatable if a religion such the Khalarans belief in their Lady Kiasidira would have developed in span of just three hundred years, but I know too little of actual religion history to speak with any authority.

I love this book. It’s not perfect, but it ticked off so many of my favourite feel-good elements that I can do nothing but adore it. If you are a romance reader, I say give it a try. If you are a science fiction reader, I’d also say give this a try. It’s fun and easy, but also thought-provoking and action filled.

Original review from 2014:

When I started reading this I expected it to be a good romance, and it was, but it was also a surprisingly good science fiction novel. I got some Babylon 5-vibes from the atmosphere and setting (and I love me some B5!), and I also really liked the theme about how people's perception and memory of your actions will change with time after your death (or disappearance and subsequent time-travelling, as the case might be). For our main character, Gillaine Davré, that has resulted in an unexpected Goddesshood. I'm not entirely convinced a religion, such as it is in the book, would have developed in a timespan of merely three hundred years, but it is an interesting idea nonetheless. Furthermore, I would have liked it if the author explored the cultural ramifications of Gillaine's reappearance more than she did, but I still feel the futuristic elements are sufficiently thought-provoking to appeal not only to romance genre fans, but also to a majority of science fiction fans. There were some sex scenes in the book, as is to be expected of a romance, but they were well integrated in the story and none were overly graphic or alienating to non-romance readers. Overall this is a very enjoyable book with likeable characters, exciting action scenes and some sweet moments in-between. ( )
  LadyDarbanville | Oct 25, 2014 |
Once again, Sinclair has proven why she is one of my favorite author. With marvelous characters, exciting plots, mysteries, fabulous world-building - how could I not adore her work? This book is a stand-alone, meaning it takes place in it's own universe - similar to Games of Command. The two main characters are likeable, funny, romantic, strong and worth rooting for! I enjoyed the way the Hero and Heroine's relationship grew, the obstacles in their way and how things were resolved. I highly recommnend to anyone who enjoys sci-fi/fantasy mash-ups with a heavy streak of romance. ( )
  empress8411 | May 26, 2014 |

Linnea Sinclairprimary authorall editionscalculated
Youll, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553587994, Mass Market Paperback)

Raheiran Special Forces captain Gillaine Davré has just woken up in some unknown space way station, wondering where the last three hundred years have gone. The last thing she remembers is her ship being attacked. Now it seems that while she was time-traveling, she was ordained a goddess…. Gillaine’s only hope of survival rests with dangerously seductive Admiral Mack Makarian, who suspects her of being a smuggler—or worse. But he can’t begin to imagine the full extent of it. For Gillaine is now Lady Kiasidira, holy icon to countless believers, including Mack—a man who inspires feelings in her that are far from saintly…feelings she knows are mutual. But when their flirtation is interrupted by a treacherous enemy from the past, Gillaine’s secret—and secret desires—could destroy them both….

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:04 -0400)

From acclaimed science fiction romance writer Linnea Sinclair comes a story of time travel and secret desires. Raheiran Special Forces captain Gillaine Davre wakes up in an unknown space way station, wondering where the last 300 years have gone. A lot has happened: she has been ordained a goddess and now her life is in danger.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,804,848 books! | Top bar: Always visible